Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had my car for two months now. And within the two months I have needed to take it into the dealer 3 times. Last night was the 4th.

First day of ownership, the passenger seat never worked. Noticed the trunk was not aligned properly from the factory. The entertainment/infotainment system would not work properly and self reboot. ACC was unavailable. Brakes made noise. And the tire pressure was not accurate. Called the following week to set up an appointment for all the addressed issues. Car was at the dealer for 3 days. Tire pressure was not corrected as I was told it was. So I just did it myself. Tire pressure monitor gauge seems to be constantly irregular. Passenger seat was falsely diagnosed and not corrected. For the brakes and I quote tech "drove brakes until at operating temperature, performed hard brake test". No DTCs seemed to be stored in the cars diagnostic system. Kind of odd to me. Lastly the trunk was aligned. But wait the certified and factory trained alfa/maserati tech broke the trunks trim around the hinge guides. But I wasn't informed.

So which brings me back to the second dealer trip. Car was there for 8 days. Had addressed the broken trim, faulty infotainment system, passenger seat and instrument panel makes an annoying rattling noise. Trim was replaced and so was the seat switch. No fixing the infotainment system. And the rattle is "normal operating condition". While cleaning my car a week later, I noticed the passenger side seat switch trim was just hanging on the side of the seat. Like really the tech doesn't seem to be very caring when working on these cars. Said hey whatever. It's the 2nd time in the dealer and your car doesn't even have 1700 miles. Let's just wait it out and enjoy the car.

Wrong. Two weeks later. Car acts funny again. At this time, car is around 2700. And new things arise. I take the car in. Car wonders to the right when steering is straight. Headliner seems to be loose and vibrates under acceleration. That wasn't taken care of. Infotainment was finally updated. But wait, still doesn't connect phone at times, messages don't work and the system still freezes at times. The main issue was the operating engine temperature for the car and the oil light that illuminated as well I was experiencing poor fuel economy. I drive in advanced efficiency 95% of the time. First was that oil light came on and showed the level decreased. Second I realized after driving around for 15-20 minutes the car does not get up to temperature. After thinking of that. I noticed that my average mpg was under 20. So the technician had the car all day from 10 am to nearly 5 pm and the only thing that was done was an update that still doesn't work correctly. Then asking if my car was diagnosed for the engine/fuel economy issue I was told that alfa is getting them a response and will contact me once they know what to do so I can bring my car back but for the time being it is safe to drive. Well what do you know, I get no response back but I get a call and was asked about taking a survey. I had no response to that because service was not complete.

Another 2 weeks go by and still nothing, but wait another issue. Almost home from work and lights start flashing. Check engine flashing. All these little red lightning bolt icons illuminate. All system service message unavailable. Auto/start not available, acc, fwc, ldw. Car hesitates like it wants to die while stopped in drive. Rpms jumping. Car barely drove without wanting to die. Luckily the Alfa dealer is less then 2 miles from me. I caught the dealer at the last second of them open on a Saturday. The employees there at the time were very helpful in understanding what was going on a gave me a loaner vehicle to borrow for the weekend. Cars current mileage 3177.

I just want to know. Is all this really worth it? The money spent. The time the car is in the dealer. The build quality of the car? Theres things I found wrong with the car that weren't addressed because my girlfriend was telling me that I was just being to nit picky. The vibration/static coming from the door panel speakers when adjusting the sound settings. The slight whining coming from the rear. The heated seats not getting hot. The rattle coming from the drivers rear going on the freeway. The tire pressure system constantly telling me that my tires have low pressure and for some reason the tire that says is low is higher then ones that arent saying it's low. I'm just slowly not feeling that this Alfa is up to what it was put out to be. The problems that are occurring shouldn't be happening because of the price and the name of the car but because it's a new car. A car that hasn't even had its first oil change. I don't know if this is just me. I fell in love with the car first time I saw it. I love the drive and performance of the car. And I know people experience things with there cars. But for a car to experience all these problems. I think this one itself is just the bad lemon of the bunch.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
While I'm sympthetic, I'd have a better understanding of your car's problems if your post was organized into paragraphs.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have to agree with Chipshot here.

@OP if you're able to, please edit and add some break points. Your post is legitimately hard to read in it's current form.

It sounds like you might have had a combination of many things going on. Some dealership related, some car related, and maybe just a new car experience perhaps. Idunno.

I can tell you however for many of us, yes.. owning the car is absolutely worth it. Easily the best all around daily I've owned to date.

I really hope you get your situation sorted so you can enjoy it the same way.

·
Registered
647 Posts
When I took delivery of our new Giulia I also heard some slight whining coming from the rear.
So I told my wife OK you can sit up in the front seat now.

Seriously, I use the tire screen readings as just an estimate and they vary with tire heat after driving some. I have a quality analog tire gauge and check a least every two weeks. When needed I inflate with a small portable 12V auto shutoff tire inflator from Amazon. I use the psi listed on the door jam sticker, for my tires 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. On a perfectly level road your Giulia should track straight with tires properly inflated.

I originally had a few minor issues but waited 4 months and then after a dealer RRT update my Giulia is almost perfect. Hope the dealer can work out most of your issues. Perhaps have a quick chat with the dealer general manager before your next time in, not just the service manager.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is it worth it?

YES. I've only had mine two days - and even have a small mechanical issue - but hey - its Italian. But I wouldn't give it up for anything. Will post pics and new acquisition info later. >:)

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
My attempt....

So I had my car for two months now. And within the two months I have needed to take it into the dealer 3 times. Last night was the 4th. First day of ownership, the passenger seat never worked. Noticed the trunk was not aligned properly from the factory. The entertainment/infotainment system would not work properly and self reboot. ACC was unavailable. Brakes made noise. And the tire pressure was not accurate. Called the following week to set up an appointment for all the addressed issues.

Car was at the dealer for 3 days. Tire pressure was not corrected as I was told it was. So I just did it myself. Tire pressure monitor gauge seems to be constantly irregular. Passenger seat was falsely diagnosed and not corrected. For the brakes and I quote tech "drove brakes until at operating temperature, performed hard brake test". No DTCs seemed to be stored in the cars diagnostic system. Kind of odd to me. Lastly the trunk was aligned. But wait the certified and factory trained alfa/maserati tech broke the trunks trim around the hinge guides. But I wasn't informed. So which brings me back to the second dealer trip.

Car was there for 8 days. Had addressed the broken trim, faulty infotainment system, passenger seat and instrument panel makes an annoying rattling noise. Trim was replaced and so was the seat switch. No fixing the infotainment system. And the rattle is "normal operating condition". While cleaning my car a week later, I noticed the passenger side seat switch trim was just hanging on the side of the seat. Like really the tech doesn't seem to be very caring when working on these cars. Said hey whatever. It's the 2nd time in the dealer and your car doesn't even have 1700 miles. Let's just wait it out and enjoy the car.

Wrong. Two weeks later. Car acts funny again. At this time, car is around 2700. And new things arise. I take the car in. Car wonders to the right when steering is straight. Headliner seems to be loose and vibrates under acceleration. That wasn't taken care of. Infotainment was finally updated. But wait, still doesn't connect phone at times, messages don't work and the system still freezes at times.

The main issue was the operating engine temperature for the car and the oil light that illuminated as well I was experiencing poor fuel economy. I drive in advanced efficiency 95% of the time. First was that oil light came on and showed the level decreased. Second I realized after driving around for 15-20 minutes the car does not get up to temperature. After thinking of that. I noticed that my average mpg was under 20.

So the technician had the car all day from 10 am to **** near 5 pm and the only thing that was done was an update that still doesn't work correctly. Then asking if my car was diagnosed for the engine/fuel economy issue I was told that alfa is getting them a response and will contact me once they know what to do so I can bring my car back but for the time being it is safe to drive. Well what do you know, I get no response back but I get a call and was asked about taking a survey. I had no response to that because service was not complete.

Another 2 weeks go by and still nothing, but wait another issue. Almost home from work and lights start flashing. Check engine flashing. All these little red lightning bolt icons illuminate. All system service message unavailable. Auto/start not available, acc, fwc, ldw. Car hesitates like it wants to die while stopped in drive. Rpms jumping. Car barely drove without wanting to die. Luckily the Alfa dealer is less then 2 miles from me.

I caught the dealer at the last second of them open on a Saturday. The employees there at the time were very helpful in understanding what was going on a gave me a loaner vehicle to borrow for the weekend. Cars current mileage 3177. I just want to know. Is all this really worth it? The money spent. The time the car is in the dealer. The build quality of the car?

Theres things I found wrong with the car that weren't addressed because my girlfriend was telling me that I was just being to nit picky. The vibration/static coming from the door panel speakers when adjusting the sound settings. The slight whining coming from the rear. The heated seats not getting hot. The rattle coming from the drivers rear going on the freeway. The tire pressure system constantly telling me that my tires have low pressure and for some reason the tire that says is low is higher then ones that arent saying it's low.

I'm just slowly not feeling that this Alfa is up to what it was put out to be. The problems that are occuring shouldn't be happening because of the price and the name of the car but because it's a new car. A car that hasn't even had its first oil change. I don't know if this is just me. I fell in love with the car first time I saw it. I love the drive and performance of the car. And I know people experience things with there cars. But for a car to experience all these problems. I think this one itself is just the bad lemon of the bunch.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
@David Hussary....you unfortunately seem to have gotten a car with issues..from what I could read from the post, if I read correctly...it sounds to me that one of the biggest problems the car has is that the dealer is not up to snuff....and it doesn't matter if it is a Maserati/Alfa dealer....I believe we can all agree that even high-line car dealers can be utter crap from a service perspective....how a dealer takes care of service is subjective dealer to dealer....
I think all the issues with your car are compounded by an incompetent dealer...(broken trunk trim and hanging switches??? really???) just careless service...
I don;t blame you for wanting to bail....but before you do...do you have another dealer option?????

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The main issue was the operating engine temperature for the car and the oil light that illuminated as well I was experiencing poor fuel economy. I drive in advanced efficiency 95% of the time. First was that oil light came on and showed the level decreased. Second I realized after driving around for 15-20 minutes the car does not get up to temperature. After thinking of that. I noticed that my average mpg was under 20. So the technician had the car all day from 10 am to **** near 5 pm and the only thing that was done was an update that still doesn't work correctly. Then asking if my car was diagnosed for the engine/fuel economy issue I was told that alfa is getting them a response and will contact me once they know what to do so I can bring my car back but for the time being it is safe to drive.
This is the first time I can recall a participant posting a stat like that. While I doubt the car is insulted, I wonder whether that kind of operation is sufficiently unexpected as to bring odd results.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I broke down my post. Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to list my thoughts as accurately as possible. I don't have a problem with the dealership. I am greeted and welcomed every time I go there. It's a company that use to work for and I know that the dealership exceeds it's helpfulness when it comes to customer care. I use to be a detailer for them and would get chewed out when a slight streak would be on the window. Or a piece of fuzz on a carpet. Just recently I feel that the company changed. When brought in I don't even drive an alfa for a loaner. And the work done on the car seemed to be carelessly done. So I think what am I paying for? As stated before I love the car. The features. The performance. The styling. It caught my attention the second I laid eyes on it last February. And I got the car the exact same way I saw it. It's just I feel the car isn't up to what it was said to be and the dealership isn't the problem. I just wish the didn't act like this right from the start. A year or so down the line. Id understand. But right away after delivery. It all went down from there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My attempt....

So I had my car for two months now. And within the two months I have needed to take it into the dealer 3 times. Last night was the 4th. First day of ownership, the passenger seat never worked. Noticed the trunk was not aligned properly from the factory. The entertainment/infotainment system would not work properly and self reboot. ACC was unavailable. Brakes made noise. And the tire pressure was not accurate. Called the following week to set up an appointment for all the addressed issues.

Car was at the dealer for 3 days. Tire pressure was not corrected as I was told it was. So I just did it myself. Tire pressure monitor gauge seems to be constantly irregular. Passenger seat was falsely diagnosed and not corrected. For the brakes and I quote tech "drove brakes until at operating temperature, performed hard brake test". No DTCs seemed to be stored in the cars diagnostic system. Kind of odd to me. Lastly the trunk was aligned. But wait the certified and factory trained alfa/maserati tech broke the trunks trim around the hinge guides. But I wasn't informed. So which brings me back to the second dealer trip.

Car was there for 8 days. Had addressed the broken trim, faulty infotainment system, passenger seat and instrument panel makes an annoying rattling noise. Trim was replaced and so was the seat switch. No fixing the infotainment system. And the rattle is "normal operating condition". While cleaning my car a week later, I noticed the passenger side seat switch trim was just hanging on the side of the seat. Like really the tech doesn't seem to be very caring when working on these cars. Said hey whatever. It's the 2nd time in the dealer and your car doesn't even have 1700 miles. Let's just wait it out and enjoy the car.

Wrong. Two weeks later. Car acts funny again. At this time, car is around 2700. And new things arise. I take the car in. Car wonders to the right when steering is straight. Headliner seems to be loose and vibrates under acceleration. That wasn't taken care of. Infotainment was finally updated. But wait, still doesn't connect phone at times, messages don't work and the system still freezes at times.

The main issue was the operating engine temperature for the car and the oil light that illuminated as well I was experiencing poor fuel economy. I drive in advanced efficiency 95% of the time. First was that oil light came on and showed the level decreased. Second I realized after driving around for 15-20 minutes the car does not get up to temperature. After thinking of that. I noticed that my average mpg was under 20.

So the technician had the car all day from 10 am to **** near 5 pm and the only thing that was done was an update that still doesn't work correctly. Then asking if my car was diagnosed for the engine/fuel economy issue I was told that alfa is getting them a response and will contact me once they know what to do so I can bring my car back but for the time being it is safe to drive. Well what do you know, I get no response back but I get a call and was asked about taking a survey. I had no response to that because service was not complete.

Another 2 weeks go by and still nothing, but wait another issue. Almost home from work and lights start flashing. Check engine flashing. All these little red lightning bolt icons illuminate. All system service message unavailable. Auto/start not available, acc, fwc, ldw. Car hesitates like it wants to die while stopped in drive. Rpms jumping. Car barely drove without wanting to die. Luckily the Alfa dealer is less then 2 miles from me.

I caught the dealer at the last second of them open on a Saturday. The employees there at the time were very helpful in understanding what was going on a gave me a loaner vehicle to borrow for the weekend. Cars current mileage 3177. I just want to know. Is all this really worth it? The money spent. The time the car is in the dealer. The build quality of the car?

Theres things I found wrong with the car that weren't addressed because my girlfriend was telling me that I was just being to nit picky. The vibration/static coming from the door panel speakers when adjusting the sound settings. The slight whining coming from the rear. The heated seats not getting hot. The rattle coming from the drivers rear going on the freeway. The tire pressure system constantly telling me that my tires have low pressure and for some reason the tire that says is low is higher then ones that arent saying it's low.

I'm just slowly not feeling that this Alfa is up to what it was put out to be. The problems that are occuring shouldn't be happening because of the price and the name of the car but because it's a new car. A car that hasn't even had its first oil change. I don't know if this is just me. I fell in love with the car first time I saw it. I love the drive and performance of the car. And I know people experience things with there cars. But for a car to experience all these problems. I think this one itself is just the bad lemon of the bunch.
Your attempt is spot on lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where are you located?

what cars have you had in the past that represented your best purchase experiences?
I am in Milwaukee WI. I have had to many car in the past too list. But this is the first brand new car I've owned. Previous cars ranged from 3 - 25 years old. Mileage low as 10000 to over 250000. Never experienced problems like the ones I've with the exception of the maintenance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I took delivery of our new Giulia I also heard some slight whining coming from the rear.
So I told my wife OK you can sit up in the front seat now.

Seriously, I use the tire screen readings as just an estimate and they vary with tire heat after driving some. I have a quality analog tire gauge and check a least every two weeks. When needed I inflate with a small portable 12V auto shutoff tire inflator from Amazon. I use the psi listed on the door jam sticker, for my tires 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. On a perfectly level road your Giulia should track straight with tires properly inflated.

I originally had a few minor issues but waited 4 months and then after a dealer RRT update my Giulia is almost perfect. Hope the dealer can work out most of your issues. Perhaps have a quick chat with the dealer general manager before your next time in, not just the service manager.
It just feels like I'm paying for the vehicle to be at the dealership. So it makes me feel that I'm wasting my money on this car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my Giulia. They are not for everybody. If I were you, dump it now. Take the hit and move on. With the inventory on hand of unsold 2017s...there is no place for the value to go except down...fast. Get out now...save yourself the aggravation. You will only become more aggravated as you try to get the dealer to meet your expectations. You don't seem to be a car person...given that you want the dealer to set your tire pressure. Giulia's coexist well with 'car people' who forgive the bad behavior of the cars' in return for emotional rewards.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I have to say, I agree with other that the Giulia is an awesome car to drive. However, I also understand your thoughts. My car has been at the dealer since 10/31, and I can only hope that they call me this week to tell me it is ready to be picked up.

I think the primary issue here is the QA of Alfa Romeo. I have seen how Porsche checks their vehicles, and although the Giulia is not a Porsche, it is considered a luxury brand and should be checked better. The fact that people say to accept it because it is Italian is bullshit. Manufacturers will not make in the business this way. Others are tired of hearing about the issues, but you know what, those are probably people with no issues at all. Alfa Romeo needs to do a better job, it is that simple.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just because the dealer is friendly and greets you with a smile, doesn't mean they are competent... I would move on to another dealer immediately....

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I am in Milwaukee WI. I have had to many car in the past too list. But this is the first brand new car I've owned. Previous cars ranged from 3 - 25 years old. Mileage low as 10000 to over 250000. Never experienced problems like the ones I've with the exception of the maintenance.
Where did you get it.. International Auto?
I ask because that's also where I got my car. If they're that incompetent I'll look elsewhere for services

1 - 20 of 42 Posts