Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yes indeed they are, somewhat.

Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne is doing a bit of back peddling as the growth plans for Alfa and Maserati must be pulled back due to restrictive import laws in China. (as if that snuck on them overnight?)

"I still think that Alfa belongs in China," Marchionne told Wall Street analysts on Wednesday. "The expectations of volumes out of the total pool of 400,000 cars by (2018) are, I think, given current market conditions, not achievable."

The crux of Sergios 2014 5-year plan was the goal to sell 400,000 Alfa Romeos and 75,000 Maserati's globally. A plan that hinged on China much more then FCA ever let on.

In China they face a double edged sword, decreasing demand for imported cars and increasing regulatory scrutiny. The two may go hand in hand.

"I think that the import function into China is going through a fundamental change and this has got a bunch of ramifications in terms of our expectations going forward," Marchionne said. "A relatively significant portion of our volume ambitions for 2018 for Alfa were China-driven."

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why do you think that FCA sets out these 5 year plans? I could have predicted right when they first announced it that it wasn't all going to pan out. Why put all that out there? If you have to change something it is this big public announcement. It seems like a failure, or at least like the initial goal or prediction wasn't quite what it should be.

No other auto company really does this. Why?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Why do you think that FCA sets out these 5 year plans? I could have predicted right when they first announced it that it wasn't all going to pan out. Why put all that out there? If you have to change something it is this big public announcement. It seems like a failure, or at least like the initial goal or prediction wasn't quite what it should be.

No other auto company really does this. Why?
ask the man... http://www.autonews.com/section/executiveguide?template=search

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wasn't the prediction made in 2014? They couldn't have known that the Chinese market would drop so much.
Why are they so reliant on China anyways?

·
Registered
244 Posts
They're going to have to rework the 8 new model plan if both Maserati and Alfa Romeo models are being pushed back. Maybe take out a model or push everything back?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Surely they're going to have to take from where ever volume will be least, the quicker they can get a return on their investments the quicker they can get back on track with the lower volume products.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Surely they're going to have to take from where ever volume will be least, the quicker they can get a return on their investments the quicker they can get back on track with the lower volume products.
Probably one of the higher end performance models if they do end up taking something out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, on FCA's Q3 results presentation(10/28) Marchionne said the company is sticking with a plan to present 8 new models(including Giulia) and to sell 400,000 Alfa Romeo vehicles worldwide by 2018, but said the brand will have to shift focus to North America and Europe because of lower expectations for sales in China by changing the sequence of future model launches, excluding Giulia and 949(D-SUV) which are "ready".

The original article(11/4) published by Automotive News Europe written by Ciferri is speculative, Ciferri is known about being always negative about FCA,Fiat and the Agnelli family, and positive about Volkswagen Group and specially about Piech and Porsche family. This speculative article was published just a day after EPA's statement and notice of violation about the 3.0TDi engine.

Those who ordered a european Giulia Quadrifoglio Launch Edition, received two weeks ago the VIN and the exact delivery date, the delivery dates span from the end of November to 22 of December depending on serial number.

The German Magazine Auto Motor und Sport contacted Alfa Romeo, and the spokesman of Alfa Romeo Deutschland confirmed to them a launch date for the regular Giulia(non Quadrifoglio) in Germany between Q1 and Q2, late March to early April.

Ciferri in his article stated that the launch of Giulia Quadrifoglio is postponed in June 2016 and of the "regular" in September 2016...he also stated that the 949 "D-SUV" market launch is postponed 9 months from spring 2016 to early 2017. Nothing more false than his last statement, as in the original product plan 949 SOP(Start of Production) is predicted for May 2016 with a market launch in Q3/2016.

·
Registered
420 Posts
That's still not a bad time frame to have the Quad release, it shouldn't do too much for taking away sales since those who are on top of this and really want it will hold out and wait, although waiting is painful.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yea I think that people are willing to wait for this vehicle in particular. I would assume they want this car instead of the German options. They don't want to just settle for a different one because this one is delayed. I think they will wait it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts