Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all read the reports that FCA is finically in trouble. That only the Ram and Jeep brands are worth saving. That FCA cannot find a partner to merge with. Before purchasing the Giulia, is Alfa Romeo's long term health a factor in your overall decision?

I ask these questions as someone who was burned by the SAAB-Spyker debacle. I purchased a new 2010 9-5 aero and by the end of 2011 the company was out of business and all my warranty's were worthless. Also the resale value of my car (MSRP of 54K) tanked and parts for the car quickly became an issue (and I was still paying the car off). Only 2800 made it to the US (a true unicorn). So I do worry about Alfa's long term prospects in the ultra competitive automotive market.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm personally still confident that they're going to be okay in the long run. This is just a set-back but I really don't think they're too worried. I think I even read an article a week or two ago where FCA said they weren't too worried about what's going and they'll be able to make things work.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It would be amazing for Ferrari to buy Alfa Romeo, perhaps even Maserati. Not only will help the Alfa's reputation, but bring profit to Ferrari. Alfa Romeo is already using some of the engineering, production plants, and components from Ferrari. It would become like the Lamborghini and Audi relationship. Just as how FCA managed to separate Ferrari into it's own entity - they should migrate both Alfa & Maserati to be merged with Ferrari. We all know that Ferrari has been making one the best engines in the world, just recently winning the best international engine of the year with the 488. So Ferrari will help with it's own name trickled down to Alfa & Maserati gaining more customers, brand loyalty, and trust. Especially with the dealership network. Currently the dealerships are horrible under FCA. They have a lack of customer service, knowledge, and organization (except for @DaneARFOM). It's sad to see Maserati and Alfa being sold by FIAT sales team, as most of them do not have the capability to handle such professionalism.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It would be amazing for Ferrari to buy Alfa Romeo, perhaps even Maserati. Not only will help the Alfa's reputation, but bring profit to Ferrari. Alfa Romeo is already using some of the engineering, production plants, and components from Ferrari. It would become like the Lamborghini and Audi relationship. Just as how FCA managed to separate Ferrari into it's own entity - they should migrate both Alfa & Maserati to be merged with Ferrari. We all know that Ferrari has been making one the best engines in the world, just recently winning the best international engine of the year with the 488. So Ferrari will help with it's own name trickled down to Alfa & Maserati gaining more customers, brand loyalty, and trust. Especially with the dealership network. Currently the dealerships are horrible under FCA. They have a lack of customer service, knowledge, and organization (except for @DaneARFOM). It's sad to see Maserati and Alfa being sold by FIAT sales team, as most of them do not have the capability to handle such professionalism.
I do not want to be tacky, but I must say the Fort Worth dealership my wife and I visited this week did not impress me in the least. The word that came to mind as we left was slimy. This location has recently changed ownership. I hope improvement will soon be seen.

In a recent interview with with the Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/11/17/alfa-romeo-america-return/93996192/

the new head of Maserati and Alfa Romeo in the US Reid Bigland said "More and more of those dealers are being dualed with Maserati, which is a pretty good fit, from a product portfolio perspective," Bigland said. "We will grow that network over the next 12, 18, or 24 months, once the cars start to get out there."

As he was appointed back in late May I assume he was not in on the initial decision to use Fiat Dealers. It looks like he sees this as a mistake.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it was a mistake for FIAT to have a join venture with Maserati in the dealership is a mistake to begin with. My local Ferrari dealership many years ago had Maserati but sold it off after the separation between FCA

Maserati and Alfa Romeo should have been opened own its own or with Ferrari

·
Registered
418 Posts
I do not want to be tacky, but I must say the Fort Worth dealership my wife and I visited this week did not impress me in the least. The word that came to mind as we left was slimy. This location has recently changed ownership. I hope improvement will soon be seen.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/11/17/alfa-romeo-america-return/93996192/

the new head of Maserati and Alfa Romeo in the US Reid Bigland said "More and more of those dealers are being dualed with Maserati, which is a pretty good fit, from a product portfolio perspective," Bigland said. "We will grow that network over the next 12, 18, or 24 months, once the cars start to get out there."

As he was appointed back in late May I assume he was not in on the initial decision to use Fiat Dealers. It looks like he sees this as a mistake.
I agree that Alfa should have been paired with Maserati. I lucked out that the mistake was made though. I'm quite happy that I am involved in the resurgence of a storied brand full of challenges and unknown. Otherwise I'd probably be a middle of the board guy at a Porsche store.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We've all read the reports that FCA is finically in trouble.

I haven't read any credible reports that FCA is financially in trouble. If you spend too much time on message boards, you might certainly get that impression, but consider the source. For whatever reason, there are a lot of people that don't have a clue that like to bash the company and its strategy. Marchionne has honestly said that he thinks there should be consolidation in the industry in order to improve returns on the huge capital investments necessary to bring a new vehicle to market. The internet weirdos have interpreted that to mean the company is for sale, completely ignoring that Marchionne has also said that FCA can go it alone if necessary.

FCA has more debt than its competitors, which means that its future carries more risk. However, there is no imminent demise that should impact any current buying decision. Honestly, as a consultant in the auto industry for the past 20+ years, I'd be more concerned about VW, which is spending billions to settle its emissions fraud issue, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think what stemmed a lot of this FCA being financially in trouble is when the Wagoneer got put on pause. Everyone immediately jumped to that it's because they didn't have the financials for it and needed to make changes in order to get the finances for it.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Yesterday my owner asked me to call all of the rural stores that are getting QV's to see if they would allow us to buy them as many of these stores don't have the kind of demand we do for the QV's. Out of the 3 stores I called yesterday, I talked to one salesperson that new a little bit about the car and I mean a little bit. The other two didn't even know what the car was, they were like Giulia? I have an Alfa Romeo 4C, but I don't know about a how did you say it Giulia? I can understand a lot of the frustration expressed on here, you have to really want this car to call three dealers and some don't want it that bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yesterday my owner asked me to call all of the rural stores that are getting QV's to see if they would allow us to buy them as many of these stores don't have the kind of demand we do for the QV's. Out of the 3 stores I called yesterday, I talked to one salesperson that new a little bit about the car and I mean a little bit. The other two didn't even know what the car was, they were like Giulia? I have an Alfa Romeo 4C, but I don't know about a how did you say it Giulia? I can understand a lot of the frustration expressed on here, you have to really want this car to call three dealers and some don't want it that bad.

This story is unreal. You need to tell your zone manager or higher at FCA. I'm not sure if this reflects worse on the dealers involved or the FCA/Alfa factory sales organization. Either way, I'm sending a link to this comment to a couple people I know in Auburn Hills.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This story is unreal. You need to tell your zone manager or higher at FCA. I'm not sure if this reflects worse on the dealers involved or the FCA/Alfa factory sales organization. Either way, I'm sending a link to this comment to a couple people I know in Auburn Hills.
Great. Tell them to read all the threads here. Alfa Romeo is going to have a hard time selling a lot of cars through the Fiat dealer network. Based on my experience as detailed above I would have to really, really want a Giulia to put up with my local dealer. Suggest they drop by one of the Park Place or Sewell locations in DFW to see what they are competing against. Of course they cannot drop by Park Place Maserati in Fort Worth as it closed recently. I suspect it could have stayed open or reopen if it were also selling the Alfa Romeo line. It makes me very nervous to buy a just introduced car from a company with the reliability history Fiat has. I once had a Mercedes-Benz that was quite trouble prone. It never did really bother due to the level of service and support I received from Park Place. Since them I have purchased four more cars from them over the years. In fact I was just now talking to the salesman about the next car from them instead if the a steady supply of Giulias do not appear soon.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If there's one thing they suck at its audits and from what I have been seeing and reading, Hyundai and the Japanese brands have been excelling in this area. Those same Korean and Japanese dealers have the best dealership experience.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you do please add that my current dealer rep is (in my opinion) the best we've had, he loves the cars and matches my excitement (which is nearly annoying level) for both FIAT and Alfa. I talk with him frequently and he does a lot for me as far as getting answers on product and making sure we order enough cars at certain times and such. I planned on letting him know next week when the holidays are over. It's also something I will express at the leadership summit early next month. Our Alfa Romeo trainer (who is fantastic as well) said 6-8 months ago that this was her favorite (or one of I can't remember exactly) store because of our excitement for Alfa Romeo. I think the issue lies in the dealerships themselves. I walk around the showroom and ask guys random questions all the time, how much does a 4C weigh, what colors are available on the Ti that aren't available on the QV, why is FIAT all caps. etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bettenhausen in Tinley Park IL was easily my most favorable dealer experience ever.

Other dealers over the years have been represented BMW, Ford, GM, and Fiat/Maserati.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fulfillment

After enjoying the QV for a few weeks, I suggest that we consider the risks that we assume by NOT buying an Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Possible risks:

- Lack of fulfillment.
- Slave to German technology.
- Attempting to function as as a pure rationalist while retaining an ounce of humanity.

Other risks?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts