Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the benefits when your stuck in traffic but once the roads open up a bit do do you think the extra throttle required to achieve/maintain highway speeds offset the benefits of eco mode, or is natural better?

On a related question, I know AE does active cylinder management, but is it always the same cylinder that are off or does it alternate; I'm asking in relation to uneven wear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I see the benefits when your stuck in traffic but once the roads open up a bit do do you think the extra throttle required to achieve/maintain highway speeds offset the benefits of eco mode, or is natural better?

On a related question, I know AE does active cylinder management, but is it always the same cylinder that are off or does it alternate; I'm asking in relation to uneven wear.
For me it is the opposite. In traffic I want the ability to call on power rapidly in case I need to "scoot" to avoid a dangerous situation. E.g. someone not paying attention who is about to rear end me. It's one reason why I prefer a more powerful car. So around town I am in normal or dynamic, never AE.

It's on long drives on the highway when I am relaxed and using cruise control that I find AE useful. It extends the range of the car quite a bit.

I'll let others speak to your other question.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I really only use A mode for two instances. Bad roads to soak up potholes better, not sure if A is actuallly softer than N but the car to me seems a bit floatier so I go with it. The other time is when I’m on the highway using cruise control and it makes sense because my foot isn’t even on the throttle so why not. I’ve gotten over 30mph on longer trips in A mode doing this so I’ll keep doubt by so. In traffic I tend to like D on soft dampers so like others mention above you can squirt in and out of traffic better. My GF lives in Brooklyn so I drive home to Westchester from there quite a bit and there is a series of bridge overpasses and high concrete walls on the side of 278 where I roll the windows down and floor it every overpass and it sounds glorious in D mode...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
IMO A is well-suited for parking garages. However, my Giulia seems somewhat hesitant in A immediately after being started.

Second squirting.

Reactions: FLDennis

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I find on a long highway cruise it’s definitely the way to go. Still plenty of power for passing at highway speeds and I average around 38mpg, but I’m in the 4 cylinder version.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeh! I finally have more experience than you all

Finally I can speak to “A” mode quite profiently since it is the mode I am using 80 percent or more of the time. One, it is still wicked quick and is less of a jolt. I switch between them for fun or if I just want to show off just in case my understated design didn’t stand out enough:smile2:

I don’t know if it automatically engages all cyclinders when you accelerate quickly or not but it has an awful lot of power. I will switch to D when I want to pass but A for around town and when I just want to get to point a and point b I just use A.

A almost seems like D on a Giulia but can’t verify that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you do a search I was curious about how cylinder deactivation occurred and there is quite a big thread on it (with good responses).

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I found the thread. Looks like it does shut off the same side each time. I'm curious about uneven wear then. Also looks like it occurs in N too.

Silly question, but in an effort to try and gauge fuel economy, anyone know how to reset trip computer B? I want to keep trip A as my lifetime trip but reset B on long drives.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Silly question, but in an effort to try and gauge fuel economy, anyone know how to reset trip computer B? I want to keep trip A as my lifetime trip but reset B on long drives.
select B (or A, as required) and keep button on the end of right stalk pressed till it resets

·
Registered
202 Posts
Probably 6K of the 7K miles I have driven in D mode with soft suspension (that is my favorite combo).
But actually, in terms of time, I think perhaps 75% of the time I have driven in A mode.

A mode keeps the monster tranquilized for the day to day driving such as school drop-off lanes and going to the grocery store or being in stop and go traffic.
A mode also does provide a better fuel efficiency when cruising at highway speeds. Although I have only tried it once for ~100 miles or so and got 27-28mpg as opposed to my usual 15mpg.

My least used mode is "N" mode - I call it the "Neither here Nor there" mode.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Advanced Efficiency mode works amazingly well on long highway trips. I’ve gotten as high as 30.0MPG on a 175 mile trip one time, which is insane for a 505hp sport sedan. Around town, I am usually in Dynamic or even Race Mode. That is like 85% of my driving.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Advanced Efficiency mode works amazingly well on long highway trips. I’ve gotten as high as 30.0MPG on a 175 mile trip one time, which is insane for a 505hp sport sedan. Around town, I am usually in Dynamic or even Race Mode. That is like 85% of my driving.
I had 35.1 the other day at highway speeds. It's pretty flat around here, which definitely helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was playing with the modes the other day. I had my dad and a colleague with me. I normally leave the car in N. I hadn't really used 'A.'

The first think I noticed is that the goes up a gear. We were doing 65mph. I moved to 'A' and it up shifted and was hovering low in the RPMs but without any issue. then I switched to 'N' and it dropped down one gear. Then switched to 'D' and it dropped another gear. Then switched to 'Race' and it dropped another gear.

The only sane conclusion that makes sense is the the DNA selector is a gear selector with the ability to make the ride harder.

I love Race mode. Dynamic appears to be somewhat useless to me. For highway driving 'D' just uses a lower gear and is less efficient. I don't use Dynamic to have fun....I have Race mode for that. When I'm just trying to behave in town, Natural works well. 'A' mode does appear to have a purpose for highway cruising, but the throttle response means I wont use it in town.

So to answer if AE is worth it, I think the answer is yes for Highway cruising.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
A mode rocks on the highway, especially with a Forza exhaust controller. Nothing is more satisfying than bellowing by a "holier-than-thou" Prius or Tesla with your dash board full of green, doing 30 mpg ;) The low end grunt of the twin turbos really pays off here. Also you want to be in auto shift to get the proper gearing, add also cylinder deactivation. Look at the tape meter below the speedo. When you are indicating to the right of the dot you are sailing. That's hyper-mile-ing to a fashion.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
206 Posts
A mode rocks on the highway, especially with a Forza exhaust controller. Nothing is more satisfying than bellowing by a "holier-than-thou" Prius or Tesla with your dash board full of green, doing 30 mpg ;) The low end grunt of the twin turbos really pays off here. Also you want to be in auto shift to get the proper gearing, add also cylinder deactivation. Look at the tape meter below the speedo. When you are indicating to the right of the dot you are sailing. That's hyper-mile-ing to a fashion.
Plus, you can smugly tell the hippy-dippy Prius driver that your car is partly made of hemp. :grin2:

Linky

1 - 20 of 54 Posts