Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That would be the difference in price I have negotiated between the 2 model years....

Would you buy the MY17 at a $1500 discount of a MY18? Same options, just different model year....

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it has updated infotainment w/ Apple or Google integration, the $1500 premium over the MY17 would be worth it to me. Otherwise, the MY17 should be fine as long as all available updates are done to the car. You might want to wait for someone who can chime in about depreciation though.

Best of luck either way!

EDIT: What I mean by the depreciation comment is that let's pretend it's 2020... would the resale difference between similarly equipped MY17 and MY18 be > $1500?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
First year, low production models tend to be the ones collectors want if you look back in history. If the politicians have their way, in 40 years you won't be able to even buy a fossil-fuel vehicle. Some of today's cars might become quite valuable at that time. I remember growing up in the 60's that you could buy used Camaros, Mustangs, and other cars for less than $1,000, and today those same cars are worth $50k+ and getting more expensive all the time. There are people making a career out of looking for barn-finds hoping to find one of these old cars. If they find one covered in dirt and looking neglected, they're all thrilled; especially if it's a first-year low-production model with matching numbers.

Take care of your first year Giulias everyone; they may possibly become good investments in the long-run, and something you can hand down to your children as an inheritance.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were approximately 1000 QV produced in MY17 (according to MacGeek) is that a lower production of the MY2018?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I would 'assume' they'd be more MY18 if everything was going well. Good point with the collectors.. I don't think you want to lock it in a barn though :D

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
If you were going to buy it and park it then yes, a first year model would be fine. But if you were going to drive it, then no... you should wait until all the kinks are out and then put your money down. This applies to Ferraris as well. I skipped the 355 because I didn't want to deal with the valve seals, headers, and F1 system. I didn't realize that a 360 still had the wonderful wail of the Cinquevalvole engine ;) But still, you want to avoid early years and the kinks with the transmission mounts, vvt actuators, tcu software. To me the time and aggravation costs money too. I'll pay for the piece of mind. Also, later year automatically means lower miles, usually ;)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
As a Point of Reference

https://www.alfaromeoofwestport.com/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-c-1245.htm

just under 3k on the odo....missing only the CCBs...has Sparcos, Dark Technicos, CF Steering wheel, RC paint and yellow calipers...

as far as valuations down the line....frankly I bought mine with the intention of keeping it..unless something goes horribly wrong with the car....so I could care less.....the fact is the material difference between the MY17 & MY18 cars is that car-play android thingy..whatever the "F" that means....So it really only boils down to are those the reasons you want the car? are they that important?
otherwise if you can get a 17 equipped they way you like sans those 2 items...and save a few grand????.....no brainer in my mind
but to each his own :)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
First of all, by the time it becomes a collectible a lot of us won't be here. We're not talking La Ferrari etc. For $1500 it's up to you. If you go with the future collectible thing get the '17, if not the '18. $1500 is not enough savings to get a year old model.

·
Registered
440 Posts
the fact is the material difference between the MY17 & MY18 cars is that car-play android thingy..whatever the "F" that means....
LOL.

Good to know I'm not the only one who wonders WTF that actually means!

:grin2:

Reactions: alfa55 and MDriver

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL.

Seriously folks...
CarPlay is you know......that thing that people have been beaching and complaining about for months now.....it really adds an extra dimension to the "millennials driving experience"....
LOL!

Reactions: alfa55 and 407Guy

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Seriously folks...
CarPlay is you know......that thing that people have been beaching and complaining about for months now.....it really adds an extra dimension to the "millennials driving experience"....
LOL!
Francamente Dottore, my 2 millennials will have to pry the Alfa keys from my cold dead fingers to enjoy the driving experience LMAO>:)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
LOL.

@407Guy....I still use/own a Blackberry...what does that tell you...LOL
the gadget/technology in autos today has never been a selling point for me....unless it has something to do with the performance...like if our Quads had KERS in them....now that would be so cool:cool:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I thought "Car Play" was what I do when I get behind the wheel. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
had my fourth car rental with it and different brand...this time Kia. You'll certainly be 'playing' with Carplay and not in a positive way :D It looks nice but very quirky

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn't buy my car to be distracted by phone calls, text, etc. I certainly don't care if when I get in my car my navigation system knows where I'm going. I already know.

The 18s will also have the driving aids by default, not as an option. The 18s will cost more unless you planned to add the driving aids....I didn't want them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Would you buy the MY17 at a $1500 discount of a MY18? Same options, just different model year....
Personally, I’d wait for 2018 for these reasons.
- The hope that most of the first year problems will be solved and implemented. I’ll get all the updates including the non-RRT ones
- 2017s have probably been sitting outside in the weather since before May.
- CarPlay. I’m not a millennial, but I do like my tech and this will be a daily driver so if I can play podcasts or audible easier, it’s a plus.
- better resale in case I want to sell in a few years (but I don’t plan to)
- I already got a pretty good discount

Just my opinion - YMMV

·
Registered
334 Posts
As some have noted, the MY18's include the Harmon Kardon sound system and the Driver Safety package as standard, which were $900 and $1500 options on the MY17's. My MY17 has over 7400 miles on it now with only one broken headlight washer assembly already replaced, no other issues at all .....

·
Registered
158 Posts
For future resale value it is worth to pay $1,500 more and a get 1 year newer car.
Not to mention the 1st model year issues common with all brands and especially Alfa.

·
Registered
554 Posts
FWIW I was sad about no Android Auto on my 2017 QV, but I have put in a cupholder cell phone holder thing and installed the Android Auto app on my phone, and now I'm perfectly happy. I have a 1ft USB-c cable plugged into the USB and I set my Android Auto app to launch automatically when it connects to bluetooth. To use Android Auto, you have to take out your phone and plug it into the USB anyway, so this way I get the exact same functionality, using my phone screen instead of the infotainment screen. Of course, the difference for me between 2017 and 2018 was $4k, which made my decision a lot easier. For $1,500, I don't know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts