Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told that my Ipod classic will not work on my car without a $200 adapter??? Is this true or is my dealership being shady? I am not try to use car play, I am just trying to play music.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I was just told that my Ipod classic will not work on my car without a $200 adapter??? Is this true or is my dealership being shady? I am not try to use car play, I am just trying to play music.
It works perfectly WITH the latest level infotainment S/W (.055 level). It would not work for me when I had the prior (.043) S/W. All you need is the standard iPod charging cable to plug into your USB port.

Reactions: FogHat

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
How do I find out what version infotainment S/W my 2017 Giulia has?
From the Main Menu:

Settings>System>Software Update>Current Version

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Wow, that's some shocking news to me, that a Giulia wouldn't be able to play music from an iPod.

Regardless, it sounds to me like the dealer is confused, and referencing the pricing for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto features.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The ipod classic worked for me with the oldest version of the infotainment system. However it would have popping noises with certain songs and it will freeze my ipod after playing 50+ songs in shuffle mode. Strange!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have both an IPod classic and a new IPod Touch that I purchased in May or June. Here is what I found. I have a 2017 QV. I don’t know about the infortainment update but when I tried the classic it didn’t work. I know it works in my mini but I did have to pay $110 for a MINI Adapter. Nothing else will work. So I did some asking and since I figured I could keep the classic in the MINI with its adapter and get something else for the QV hence the IPod Touch. Works fine with a regular USB from the center console compartment. So some folks have had good luck with the classic but mine didn’t and I needed one for the new QV anyway and that was all Apple sells now. I did have to screw around with the repeat function which had nothing to do with he Infotainment and it was a Touch issue which keeps reverting to repeat as its start up mode.

Good luck with the classic. I just was not going to kill myself and found that folks Touch was working fine so I just went that route.

Note the mini adapter required an Aux and a usb connection. I tried using the MINI cable and it didn’t work but I think the classics need a special adapter. You may be able to find it online.

@winger - Turned out it was set to repeat in the menu of the IPod Touch. I got it moving again but I will see if it defaults back when i start the car up after the IPod goes to sleep. I will be heading back to apple but I ran some tests and it happened outside the QV so at least I nailed the culprit. Apple

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
@wingler another update. Very irritating but I had to continue to turn off repeat on my iPod Touch. The QV controls the shuffle on/off but it can’t control the repeat. That is on the device. However, before I was headed back to Apple Store I decided I would check for an IOS update (i thought I checked last week but apparently not) now after running the update the button will now stay off after I turn the repeat off (white). We will see how this goes. So anyone who says the IPod does not work with a 2017 maybe should go back to the device first than AR. My case it was not Alfa’s fault.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
@MINIME, let me know how it goes. I was already running the latest iOS level 11.4.1 and still experiencing the repeat issue.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Did you check your settings on the touch? I tested it last night and the repeat button stayed in the off position after I upgraded OS. I will say that it did not happen with the prior OS until a couple weeks ago. Now the button on the touch is staying white.
Mine says in the off (no repeat) position until I stop the car. When I restart the car it goes back to the “repeat on” setting and has to be manually turned off.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Okay you are right. It didn't default back after I was driving around but it appears once the touch goes into sleep it defaults back. Looking at it further thought the control on our infotainment screen says (playback mode = repeat) however it is toggling now between shuffle or no shuffle instead of the repeat function. So the option is controlling the touch to the wrong icon. I will ask the dealer but I think I will check with Apple also. I will let you know what I find out. For now I will need to manually toggle it just like you. This was not the case up until a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I checked with the dealership and believe it or not looked at other car forums (non-AR). Seems to be less than a common problem. But I am going to head over to Apple this week. The dealership did tell me that we are a couple months out from having software fixes that will play better with iPhone 8's (only 7's now) and galaxy 8's but that could have a benefit for the newer Ipods. I did mention it was working fine up until a few weeks ago and my car has been nowhere near a dealership. Sort of makes me believe that even though the Ipod is in the Car it can talk to the WiFi so there may be some updates that were made that messed this up.

Now I learn if something works never connect to wifi again. :eek:) I will see what Apple comes up with. I do recall when I took my MINI in for an issue with my classic and I didn't have the slick apple connect option the service guy at MINI said be happy. Every update Apple does causes issues with the infotainment in the car. I though Carplay would resolve that for the lucky ones that have it but I am just happy if I can get repeat off. I will keep playing and keep you posted when I get an answer or fix. I may call AR cares to see if they know of what updates are in the works.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Thanks @MINIME, for now I’ve just gone back to using my old iPod classic in the Alfa, it works fine. Side benefit is I can just leave it in the car since I use the Touch for streaming in the house.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Bad for me the Classic is in the MINI and the touch is in the QV. My husband said get over it, hit the button when you get in the car. I said not so easy I have to enter my passcode. What happens when you want to use it? He said, I don't listen to that music. I listen to the serenity of peaceful driving with no tunes.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Bad for me the Classic is in the MINI and the touch is in the QV. My husband said get over it, hit the button when you get in the car. I said not so easy I have to enter my passcode. What happens when you want to use it? He said, I don't listen to that music. I listen to the serenity of peaceful driving with no tunes.
He should be more concerned for your safety. The problem is when you forget hit the button and then have to fiddle with it when you’re driving....not safe at all, especially when your digging it out from the center console and having to swipe the screen to get to the setting. Besides, tell him you’re too pre-occupied remembering to turn off the auto-stop before you drive!

Reactions: MINIME

·
Registered
5 Posts
My iPod classic works just fine in my 2017 Giulia, but I do have one issue with it...I have 400+ albums on the iPod and it doesn't appear that the system can index it all. I can browse by artist or by album, or by track. However it involves a lot of scrolling if I want to listen to an artist starting with 'S' or 'T'..! The search function doesn't work, it returns zero results regardless of what you enter. I'm assuming that the system cannot index enough of the data?

Anyone else have this problem?
Jason

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
My iPod classic works just fine in my 2017 Giulia, but I do have one issue with it...I have 400+ albums on the iPod and it doesn't appear that the system can index it all. I can browse by artist or by album, or by track. However it involves a lot of scrolling if I want to listen to an artist starting with 'S' or 'T'..! The search function doesn't work, it returns zero results regardless of what you enter. I'm assuming that the system cannot index enough of the data?

Jason
I don’t know offhand how many albums I have on mine, but I have 9000+ songs. Everything seems to work fine for me, but I haven’t used the search function extensively. It took me a while playing with it while parked figuring out how it worked. I’ll test it towards the end of the alphabet and get back to you.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts

Jason
Tried mine today and am having the same issue. Search function returns no results. I have something like 600 artists, 800 albums and 9000 songs. Odd thing is it used to work, and I don’t know of anything that has changed — SW in the car and on the iPod have not been changed in the last 6 months. Maybe it takes longer to fully index than I gave it today? Odd.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts

Jason
Jason, update from me. As previously stated I could not get the Search function to work on my iPod classic either. However, i also have an iPod Touch, and it works perfectly .....Same library as my classic, so it does not seem to be size dependent, just device dependent. That must be the device I was using previously when I remembered the function working. I switch back and forth. May be time for an upgrade!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts