Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Interested in your advice. I've been an Alfa enthusiast for many years (from an AR 33 to a 159TI, via a 156, a Spider, and a GT), but in a moment of weakness had my head turned by a Posche 911 four years ago. I've now just fallen deeply for the Giulia Veloce, and have decided to trade the Porsche for it.

I spent a bit of time with the test drive car in the garage yesterday - it's a standard Giulia (probably "Super" kit). I had a few issues when I plugged in my iPod Classic (160Gb). Firstly, when scrolling through artists or albums, it only seems to load a few into the buffer each time, which means that it takes an age with loads of buffering to scroll through names. I have about 20k tracks on my iPod, so it would take an eternity to get to the letter "S". Is there a better way to navigate?

I tried the "A-Z Search" approach, but could not get that to work at all. I made a simple search phrase using the rotary wheel to scroll around the letters, but when I pressed "Ok" nothing happened. I pressed, double pressed, long-pressed, short-pressed. I then restarted the iPod. I restarted the car. I unplugged the iPod. I switched to Bluetooth, then back to iPod. Nothing I did seemed to make a difference. I could not get the search function to work on the iPod at all. I didn't have a hard drive on me, so couldn't test a different device.

Looking at the settings, the infotainment system seemed to still be version 1 (ie hasn't received any updates yet).

Is this something which others have seen? Audio is a big part of my life, and I am pretty fussy about car audio. Am "infotainment" system which is ridiculously hard to navigate is not my idea of fun. I don't really want to have to rely on Bluetooth audio, as the audio quality is not as good as USB.

I realise that the infotainment system should not be the main priority when buying an Alfa, but I really don't want it to spoil my enjoyment of the car (especially when it's not really upgradable in an aftermarket sense, as it's built in to the dash and the rest of the electronics).

·
Registered
526 Posts
How long did you wait after pressing OK?

As has been stated before, the Giulia infotainment system can hardly be called "state of the art" and I'm thinking it'll just take a little time to find the selection you chose or its too big (160gb is pretty big) to handle.

I bought a USB stick that I think holds 32gb, the most I believe the system will handle, at least for the USB port. Have about 3,500 songs on it so far, can probably get up to around 5,000 when I'm done. It still takes a little time to scroll or search for something I'm after.

I just use my phone to play saved Spotify playlists.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Extraordinary. I really don't know who designs these systems.

A "Jump to Letter..." option is essential. I wouldn't even bother with a search option. A 5 minute wait - WTF? Who thought that was acceptable?

There are plenty of mature systems and architectures on the market that could have been licensed. Pioneer Avic systems have been handling multipe audio sources flawlessly for 15 years.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi - jumping on this thread. I picked up my Giulia today and cannot get my ipod classic working properly. At first it would not recognize it all in either port - though ti was charging it. I came home and checked the software version (fine) and rebooted the ipod. When I plugged in - then it started working. A short time later I went for another drive and it did not recognize it again. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back it but it never recognized the source. Any ideas how to solve and what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if this helps, but I've seen similar behaviour before from another system when the iPod was not ready to be unplugged (IE it felt it needed to be unmounted, rather than just have the power cut). Maybe you could check the iPod screen before you turn off the engine, make sure it says "Ok to Disconnect". The clue is that a reboot of the iPod "fixes" it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I've seen similar behaviour before from another system when the iPod was not ready to be unplugged (IE it felt it needed to be unmounted, rather than just have the power cut). Maybe you could check the iPod screen before you turn off the engine, make sure it says "Ok to Disconnect". The clue is that a reboot of the iPod "fixes" it.
That is interesting - thank you. I had planned to leave it plugged in for "on demand" use when driving. I will play around with it more today and if if I can get it work more consistently.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hi - jumping on this thread. I picked up my Giulia today and cannot get my ipod classic working properly. At first it would not recognize it all in either port - though ti was charging it. I came home and checked the software version (fine) and rebooted the ipod. When I plugged in - then it started working. A short time later I went for another drive and it did not recognize it again. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back it but it never recognized the source. Any ideas how to solve and what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks, John
I have the same issue here in UK along with a few other G owners. Thing is Ipod Classic used to work up until AR performed an infotainment update as part of a software update campaign to various modules in the car. Ever since Ipod classic just shows charging and very randomly but very occasionally starts playing about 1 in 10 times! Dealer investigated, used an official AR approved Ipod cable etc. but still no success. Alfa Technical in Italy have finally admitted they need to work on a solution to this issue introduced after software updates. Hopefully we will receive a fix at an undetermined future update!! :|

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the same issue here in UK along with a few other G owners. Thing is Ipod Classic used to work up until AR performed an infotainment update as part of a software update campaign to various modules in the car. Ever since Ipod classic just shows charging and very randomly but very occasionally starts playing about 1 in 10 times! Dealer investigated, used an official AR approved Ipod cable etc. but still no success. Alfa Technical in Italy have finally admitted they need to work on a solution to this issue introduced after software updates. Hopefully we will receive a fix at an undetermined future update!! :|
AHHH - very helpful. I wonder if there an ipod that works better. Mine is pretty old - time for a new one??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well it sure is strange. I tried to get it working again and there was no pattern. It was just hit or miss - I plugged it in and it would not recognize it, I would try again and nothing, try it again and it would start working. Neither USB port made a difference. I think it has to be something with the software in the vehicle and I do hope an update is possible to correct.
John

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am not sure if either work. It is a disappointment for me that this does not function easily.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Any info on when an update might be coming so I can use my ipod in the Giulia?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Does a hard drive or USB stick still work? If there's no reliable way of getting audio from the USB connection, I would have to seriously reconsider whether I'll take the plunge...
A USB stick works fine for me, and I prefer it to using an iPod.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ETM_SW_M86 is here. Restores IPod classic functionality

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hi guys. Interested in your advice. I've been an Alfa enthusiast for many years (from an AR 33 to a 159TI, via a 156, a Spider, and a GT), but in a moment of weakness had my head turned by a Posche 911 four years ago. I've now just fallen deeply for the Giulia Veloce, and have decided to trade the Porsche for it.

I spent a bit of time with the test drive car in the garage yesterday - it's a standard Giulia (probably "Super" kit). I had a few issues when I plugged in my iPod Classic (160Gb). Firstly, when scrolling through artists or albums, it only seems to load a few into the buffer each time, which means that it takes an age with loads of buffering to scroll through names. I have about 20k tracks on my iPod, so it would take an eternity to get to the letter "S". Is there a better way to navigate?

I tried the "A-Z Search" approach, but could not get that to work at all. I made a simple search phrase using the rotary wheel to scroll around the letters, but when I pressed "Ok" nothing happened. I pressed, double pressed, long-pressed, short-pressed. I then restarted the iPod. I restarted the car. I unplugged the iPod. I switched to Bluetooth, then back to iPod. Nothing I did seemed to make a difference. I could not get the search function to work on the iPod at all. I didn't have a hard drive on me, so couldn't test a different device.

Looking at the settings, the infotainment system seemed to still be version 1 (ie hasn't received any updates yet).

Is this something which others have seen? Audio is a big part of my life, and I am pretty fussy about car audio. Am "infotainment" system which is ridiculously hard to navigate is not my idea of fun. I don't really want to have to rely on Bluetooth audio, as the audio quality is not as good as USB.

I realise that the infotainment system should not be the main priority when buying an Alfa, but I really don't want it to spoil my enjoyment of the car (especially when it's not really upgradable in an aftermarket sense, as it's built in to the dash and the rest of the electronics).
I plugged my iPod classic into the new QV (2017) and I get music but no controls to move to a new song or anything. Wondering if I have to use a different audio aux connection. The one I used is specific to MINI OEM part. The MINI connection plugs into the iPod and then has an aux connection and a usb both have to be connected to get music

1 - 20 of 27 Posts