Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have my iPhone plugged in via a lighting cable to the front USB connection I sometimes hear a weird crackling sound coming from the front speaker. I have tried changing the cable and it still makes the sound. It does not do it every time I use it. I can unplug it and connect via Bluetooth and the sound goes away and I do not hear it using sat radio or regular radio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I have my iPhone plugged in via a lighting cable to the front USB connection I sometimes hear a weird crackling sound coming from the front speaker. I have tried changing the cable and it still makes the sound. It does not do it every time I use it. I can unplug it and connect via Bluetooth and the sound goes away and I do not hear it using sat radio or regular radio.
I have the same problem with random a crackling sound from the drivers side dash speaker on my Giulia Ti. It only happens while my iPod is attached. Changing cables or ports has not made a difference. It has been this way since my purchase last month. Like yours it does not occur while while listening to satellite radio. Also, cannot use voice command to play media. I've been told the two problems may be related. Have you tested your voice command for media?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, i am certainly glad that I am not the only one that has experienced this, but now that i have 1800 miles on it, does not seem to be doing it anymore. It did it initially exactly like what you described and has stopped, so not sure what to make of it.

Probably does not help much, but maybe someone out there will have an answer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have issues in the same front speaker and I have not noticed any issues with voice commands but I do not use it all that often.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spoke to the dealership and they are working with Alfa Romeo to see if they can figure out what to do about the issue. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It may just be a ground loop or radio frequency interference from the "antennae" loop that exists when you connect a cable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
did you try one of the other USB ports ? same result ?

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,734 Posts
try turning the volume down on the source, turn it down to about halfway, and adjust via Audio settings ... "Aux volume" ... set that at halfway as well, then tweak till you find the Q point

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the same problem with random a crackling sound from the drivers side dash speaker on my Giulia Ti. It only happens while my iPod is attached. Changing cables or ports has not made a difference. It has been this way since my purchase last month. Like yours it does not occur while while listening to satellite radio. Also, cannot use voice command to play media. I've been told the two problems may be related. Have you tested your voice command for media?
I don't have the crackling problem but I do have issues with voice command. I can ask it to "change to FM, Am, Sat, Media" and it does it fine. But when I have my iPhone plugged in and I'm listening to music through media, if I ask it to "Play Song________" it tells me it can't. So, why is "Play Song____" one of the commands listed? If I just ask siri and skip the voice command on the car, it plays whatever I ask.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sounds like a hole in the software and hardware configuration. Something is happening when the audio system accesses the media on your phone via usb. It sounds like the on board system is not capable of finding songs on a remote device. Is this true for all? Reply back. I'm an info pro librarian and it sounds like somebody dropped the ball. Is there an update coming for AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay? I thought I saw one. This could be the fix. I've even found how clunky the usb media features are on a few year old Pioneer head unit I installed in my 360 last summer. Sure it was cheap, Bluetooth does not work for music which is why I was looking for one in the first place - grrr, but it sounds great and I was able to build an adapter harness and add to J&L subs with another reversible harness to the stock sub. So I have a usb for power and audio cords snaking around the cockpit. Ah well. Let's hope there is a fix from Alfa. My Miata was still CD and cassette age.
;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
In addition to my TI, other new cars on dealer lots have the same problem. I have been working with the dealer and Alfa Care about this, but so far no solution. It appears to be a system wide problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now when I plug into the usb port the system goes black and reboots. This only occurs when plugging into the usb port.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here is the update, I took the car into my local dealer and after 3 days with the car they diagnosed the issue as a bad amplifier. Now it is going to take another 3 days to get the part. I guess being an early adopter this is to be expected. The other thing that I was disappointed with is they gave me a Mazda 6 as a loaner car, I came from a Lexus and they always gave you a comparable car or better as a loaner. I am really surprised the dealers don't have a better loaner program.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the update. Please let us know if this resolves the speaker crackling issue when connected via USB.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So here is the update, I took the car into my local dealer and after 3 days with the car they diagnosed the issue as a bad amplifier. Now it is going to take another 3 days to get the part. I guess being an early adopter this is to be expected. The other thing that I was disappointed with is they gave me a Mazda 6 as a loaner car, I came from a Lexus and they always gave you a comparable car or better as a loaner. I am really surprised the dealers don't have a better loaner program.
Nothing comparable or better than a Giulia!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got my car back and so far so good. The speaker is not currently crackling and the screen has not gone out. It has only been one day so I will wait and see to make sure it is truly fixed. One thing they said to try if the speaker starts crackling again is to load music on to a usb and plug that in and see if it still happens. That way you eliminate the cord or the phone being the issue. It took about a week to get the car fixed because the dealer has to go back and forth with Alfa. The dealer was great but it is just a slow process because every issue is a new issue.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
I just got my car back and so far so good. The speaker is not currently crackling and the screen has not gone out. It has only been one day so I will wait and see to make sure it is truly fixed. One thing they said to try if the speaker starts crackling again is to load music on to a usb and plug that in and see if it still happens. That way you eliminate the cord or the phone being the issue. It took about a week to get the car fixed because the dealer has to go back and forth with Alfa. The dealer was great but it is just a slow process because every issue is a new issue.
Which means, I have to wait for more than a week? (since I have all the issues mentioned) :|:crying:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts