Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have finally gotten fed up enough to the point where I contacted apple support regarding the crackling/popping audio when playing music through the USB ports in the car. I was put in contact with one of the senior engineering advisors to help handle this issue. He detailed the issues present, and has also read over multiple forums I provided detailing the issue.

I also brought up a similar issue that occurred on all GM vehicles with the release of IOS9. I experienced almost exactly the same symptoms which we are currently plagued with in my 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero which utilized a similar version of GM's mylink/intellilink. He remembered this issue vividly and remembers a software update was promptly released to fix this issue.

I said these cars are very recent to the mass market, and many software updates have been done for the cars regarding its infotainment system. He also asked for the software providers information as well as the current version being loaded on cars (Magneti Marelli - 002.009.043) and said this is exactly what Apple needs to further look into the problem and come up with a fix.

He told me the engineering department will start to investigate this problem as soon as possible and I will be updated within the next 72 hours regarding the issue. Of course I pushed the whole "seriously considering getting an android device if this problem is not fixed very soon" line which he then said they will do everything they can knowing '"this is something we don’t take lightly since CarPlay and other in-dash systems have started to become a huge selling point."' He went on to say that this might be fixed within the next IOS update, and if not, then sooner than later seeing as one of the engineers he was on the phone with had said many other cars have actually been affected by this problem, one brand being BMW... Hmm.

Hopefully, they can figure something out soon because I will never cross over to Android >:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have the same issue on an older ipod. I've yet to try the android. Maybe I will when I'm back from Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Found a song that had extreme popping via the iPod. Found the same song on my Android 7.0 phone and ran it through the front USB; no popping. These are the same file formats so seems the Giulia has an issue with the iPod.

I know its the Giulia because I used this iPod in my last car and never had these issues. I think @AlfaCrisis had also contacted AR/Apple about this issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I cannot even use my ipod classic in my Giulia. Very irritating!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Found a song that had extreme popping via the iPod. Found the same song on my Android 7.0 phone and ran it through the front USB; no popping. These are the same file formats so seems the Giulia has an issue with the iPod.

I know its the Giulia because I used this iPod in my last car and never had these issues. I think @AlfaCrisis had also contacted AR/Apple about this issue.
I've contacted Alfa about the non-working Siri and SMS with iPhones. They have stated they are workign with Apple on the issue...your mileage may vary. My iPhone play back, bluetooth or pluged in has been flawless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

2018 Stelvio owner here. Same issue for me. I have the HK system. Dealer and Alfa keep telling me I’m crazy even though I have video of it. It is also happening on the loaner Ti they gave me with the HK system. Happens on 2 iPhone ads and iPad Pro I have connected. Running latest iOS on iPhone and iOS 11.1.2 on the iPad to rule out software version.

Apple is refusing to let me talk to a senior engineer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same issue with my HK system in my quad. I was using a 3rd party USB connector (not apples).

I was all upset because I thought my sound systems was useless. Then I thought...hmmm what if I use the last white USB cable I got with my iphone 8 and viola no more cracking and popping noise. Gone! Super happy now.

Are you guys using the apple supplied white USB connector? I have an iPhone 8Plus with the latest IOS and it is working fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spent 30 minutes with the tech at the dealer. Of course it would only pop every now and then. The tech said he couldn’t hear anything. I played him videos of it happening bad, still said he couldn’t hear anything. �� the service advisor had told me when I dropped off the car on Saturday that the techs will do anything to not work electrical problems. So I’m 100% sure this guy is jus not wanting to deal with it. He didn’t even understand that Bluetooth is wireless. ����*♂

·
Registered
51 Posts
I literally joined the forum because of this issue. I recently started using audio via USB with my iPhone 7 and I have a slight ticking/popping in my driver side rear speaker. Terribly annoying.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Any updates in resolving this issue? I noticed it on the day I picked up my Giulia, driving it home from the dealer! Kinda getting tired of having to use Bluetooth all the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Giulia has the same issue. I just got a Giulia loaner and it’s the same problem. I’m thinking it’s an Apple issue and not an Alfa issue.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Nah, it's gotta be Alfa. I have the same ipod that I used in my other car with no pops. No updates or changes either except the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nah, it's gotta be Alfa. I have the same ipod that I used in my other car with no pops. No updates or changes either except the car.

Then its the cars software with iPhones because it works perfectly fine with android or a flash drive.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts