Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a letter from FCA today inviting me to participate in a government-mandated emissions test. The letter explains the test is part of the In-Use Verification Program, regulated by the Federal Clean Air Act through the Environmental Protection Agency and the Air Resources Board, which requires vehicle manufacturer to conduct emissions tests on randomized, privately-owned vehicles at approximately one year and four years of service.

If I participate, I will be provided with the following:
1. Use of a fully-insured loaner vehicle with unlimited mileage and a full tank of fuel while my vehicle is tested.
2. My vehicle will be returned washed and with a full tank of fuel when the test has been completed.
3. I will receive a check for $250.

The testing takes 3 to 10 weeks and accumulates approximately 100 miles, in addition to the drive to and from the test site, and there is a reply form to complete if I am interested.

My thoughts:
a. Three to ten weeks? That's an awfully long time to be separated, and the lease payment for that period is considerably more than $250.
b. What kind of loaner? A QV or Maserati convertible would sweeten the pot.
c. Are they willing to upgrade that wash to a full detailing?
d. Are they fully indemnified? Will I be able to read the small print before making a commitment?

Has anyone else received such a letter?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lol no thanks! I think I've heard of this in the Audi group once.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
They'd have to add a zero for me to even consider it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tear it up. State emissions test results provide millions of data points on every car made. Hopefully this program is on the chopping block at EPA.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We

Not a chance. They could not rent my vehicle for that long for less than the same price as a rental and I wouldn’t let anyone drive my QV period no less out of my site. $150 and a loaner. Not even sure a Maserati would be worth it and I would be interested if any of the defects were noted how warranty would say oh, that was misuse. I am not even sure I would honor that with a reply. And no thanks on the convertible in 109 degrees here. I think they can guinea pig plenty of cars available in the used space or try the buy backs.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tear it up. State emissions test results provide millions of data points on every car made. Hopefully this program is on the chopping block at EPA.
Michigan no longer has mandatory emissions testing.

I view this kind of like the offers airlines make when they have oversold flights.
They often have to sweeten the ante to get volunteers. Right now? No sugar.

·
Registered
334 Posts
No chance I would give up the QV for 3-10 weeks for that $$ to have government yahoos scratch it up or worse ...... not even close ......

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No chance I would give up the QV for 3-10 weeks for that $$ to have government yahoos scratch it up or worse ...... not even close ......
Not government yahoos. Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc. i.e., private yahoos. Just as attractive IMO.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I’d say that will be a hard sell for them, try getting an Alfa owner to be without his/her car for 3-10 weeks, lol, ask a Lexus owner.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
No deal...but they can get mine if they give me a new replacement Giulia, similarily equipped (preferably no sunroof).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I received a letter from FCA today inviting me to participate in a government-mandated emissions test. The letter explains the test is part of the In-Use Verification Program, regulated by the Federal Clean Air Act through the Environmental Protection Agency and the Air Resources Board, which requires vehicle manufacturer to conduct emissions tests on randomized, privately-owned vehicles at approximately one year and four years of service.

If I participate, I will be provided with the following:
1. Use of a fully-insured loaner vehicle with unlimited mileage and a full tank of fuel while my vehicle is tested.
2. My vehicle will be returned washed and with a full tank of fuel when the test has been completed.
3. I will receive a check for $250.

The testing takes 3 to 10 weeks and accumulates approximately 100 miles, in addition to the drive to and from the test site, and there is a reply form to complete if I am interested.

My thoughts:
a. Three to ten weeks? That's an awfully long time to be separated, and the lease payment for that period is considerably more than $250.
d. Are they fully indemnified? Will I be able to read the small print before making a commitment?

HA, do they offer to remove one of your kidneys for $350? PASS! Reality is, you'll get the car back smelling like sausage, washed with the same bucket they used on 6 other cars with pretty clear coat circles all over, and with 500 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
My thoughts:

I would not go there. If they want to test my car they can buy it at MSRP PLUS the upgrades that I have installed. There is no telling what they will mess with.

I would be hesitant to accept such an offer if it applied to my 19 year old Mazda.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Has anyone else received such a letter? .......... Answer --- Is the Pope Presbyterian?
Would you respond to it? .......... Same answer!

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you absolutely sure that letter came from FCA and not a Nigerian prince?
Don't the Nigerians typically communicate via email?

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No freakin' way would I do that. Imagine the beating the car will take. $250 isn't half of most lease payments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts