Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I found this site from a few online searches and it is great to find it. I'm considering a new QF or a lightly used Porsche 991 S and I am very undecided.

I am coming from a 997.2 Turbo Cab which was my DD for 3 years having previously owned a 2006 Cayman S. The Turbo was a wonderful car but I am moving back to the States after a few years as an expat and it couldn't come with me (wrong spec). In any event, as wonderful as that car was it's now time for something new.

The default option would be a lightly used 991 S. However, then I started coming across reviews for the Alfa Quadrifoglio, creating quite a dilemma!

I have test driven both cars recently although the QF's was a bit constrained by some bad traffic.

The 991 feels very familiar although perhaps just a little more refined and much less bonkers fast than the 997 tt.

The Alfa strangely felt more like the Turbo than the 991 did. The Turbo on the street had the feeling of having an unlimited bucket of power to drink from. With similar horsepower the Alfa had a similar feeling - except that in dynamic mode the unlimited bucket of power kept sloshing over my face as I tried to drink from it. That amount of turbo lag was pretty off-putting. Do you get used to it? Similarly, the lag starting from a stop was just bizarre - although drag racing isn't my thing.

However, I loved the handling and the steering feel and the experience did leave a big grin on my face. So it is something I am strongly considering.

Obviously, I have the same concerns as others about reliability, dealer support, depreciation, etc., which is what brought me to this site.

On the other hand before I got into Porsches I crossed shopped an Elise with the Cayman. I am having the very same tug of war between the rational and the irrational as I did then. Last time I opted for rational - and I am not sure what I will do this time.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Oh, and here is my late Turbo

Link removed by moderator. You need ten posts before links allowed.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :smile2:

The server flagged your post, probably because of the link to the picture of your P-car. You'll need ten posts before being able to post a pic or any link. PM is turned off as well until the count of ten. It's an 'anti-troll' thing. It seems to be effective too. Get ten posts and then post the picture of your P-car. I'd enjoy seeing it as will many others.

Sorry, but I don't own a Quad, I own a Ti and a 4C. I can't council you on the turbo thing. The Quad has a completely different engine. There are plenty of Quad owners here with the experience your looking for.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've never driven a Porsche so my opinion may not count for much. But my Quadrifoglio is absolutely the best car I've ever driven, by a long mile. I'm in my 50s and I've driven a lot of cars, and nothing, but nothing compares to the Quad. In "A" or "N" modes it can behave like a practical family car; then switch it to "D" mode with manual shifting, or if you dare, Race mode, and it becomes an utter monster. I simply can't imagine deriving more joy from any other car, even a Porsche.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've owned a bunch of GT3's including my current GT3RS. Can only talk to naturally aspirated Porsches.

I drive the Quad more than the RS now (I DD my RS unlike many). The quad is quick, very sporty (interior reminds of minimalist 911, but all the bells and whistles you need), steering is pinpoint, the Sparco seats are as comfortable as my sport buckets in RS, the lines and aero on Quad are amazing (white shows those lines quite nicely), the Quad feels like a 2 door sports car when I drive it.

If I had to choose between a 911S and Quad I'd take the quad in heart beat. 911s is just yawn to me--really. Quad is a car you will want to drive and smile every time. 911s--well it's one of 33 (or how ever many variations 911 has now) styles that all blend together (outside of GT cars of course).Now if I had to chose between a Quad and RS, you know the answer.

QV is the bargain of the century and for sub $90k it's not even close.

Go get it...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've owned a bunch of GT3's including my current GT3RS. Can only talk to naturally aspirated Porsches.

I drive the Quad more than the RS now (I DD my RS unlike many). The quad is quick, very sporty (interior reminds of minimalist 911, but all the bells and whistles you need), steering is pinpoint, the Sparco seats are as comfortable as my sport buckets in RS, the lines and aero on Quad are amazing (white shows those lines quite nicely), the Quad feels like a 2 door sports car when I drive it.

If I had to choose between a 911S and Quad I'd take the quad in heart beat. 911s is just yawn to me--really. Quad is a car you will want to drive and smile every time. 911s--well it's one of 33 (or how ever many variations 911 has now) styles that all blend together (outside of GT cars of course).Now if I had to chose between a Quad and RS, you know the answer.

QV is the bargain of the century and for sub $90k it's not even close.

Go get it...
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry about the photo link.

ATXQUAD, you are truly hard core if you drive an RS as a DD! That's quite impressive.

I think what you are getting at confirmed my feelings. My test drive of the Quad was basically in dynamic mode and in that mode at least the car felt more like the 997 tt than the 991 S did. The 991 was sharp but very refined, and perhaps too much so, although I have seen what they are capable of on the track. The quad on the other hand did not feel like a four door car at all and I agree it felt exciting and raw but comfortable in all the right ways. So you can see where I am leaning which is tough for me to say as a long time Porsche owner.

What did leave me very perplexed about in a modern car was the amount of turbo lag. The 997 tt is several years old and it has variable vane turbos that are basically always spun up (especially in sports or sports+). I was a bit shocked to be honest at the amount of lag with the quad. It felt like nothing, nothing, nothing - WHAM!

Was this just a mistaken impression from a short test drive? Is this something you get used to?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a QV, which replaced my recent 981 Cayman, which replaced my 987 Cayman S. Never been in a 997, nor a turbo 911 of any kind, but have been in a 996 if that counts. Have driven a 718 Boxster S.

The quad blows away everything I've ever owned/sat in. I love the steering and it feels more direct than my Porsches, and i thought my Porsches were wonderful. My Caymans feel awfully slow compared to the quad. and I got my 2017 quad for about the same price as my base 2016 Cayman. The Alfa seemed like quite the bargain to me.

The HK stereo in the quad is garbage. My recent Cayman had the Bose upgrade, which is miles ahead of the Alfa. The Fender system in my GTI is also MUCH better than the quad HK. I would say the HK is comparable to the base stereo in my 987 S, maybe worse.

Otherwise I am very satisfied with the interior. I do not require leather wrapped everything or a fancy infotainment, so I may not be the best person to ask. But everything inside the quad works fine and does what I need it do. I never found any Porsche interior to be anything mind blowing anyway. The alcantara is a nice touch, and it impressed my friends when I showed them haha

My 2 Porsches had always been rock solid and never gave me any trouble over nearly 10 years of ownership. However, they had always been my extra car and only used occasionally for commute or on weekends. I too am concerned about the Alfa reliability, and honestly wouldn't buy it as a daily driver....yet. I've only got a 300 miles on it and have only experienced 1 minor glitch with the car alarm.

I live in the CA bay area, so there are quite a few dealers to choose from for service, although it's up for debate if any of them are any good. No known independent mechanics means we are restricted to dealer maintenance and dealer prices. I had a great independent mechanic that I used for all my Porsche needs.

Depreciation? My Porsches depreciated. Badly. I expect no difference with the quad haha

Unless your quad happens to be a lemon, you won't be disappointed. Porsches are all everywhere. The Alfa will definitely get a lot of looks, if you're into that sort of thing.

Quad also gets bonus points because my wife allowed it, as it fits our 9 month old baby.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think your assessment of the QV is accurate, and the other posters on this thread have provided accurate information. I think you would be ok using a QV as a daily driver. I am doing that with my QV, but I am also in the habit of driving my old car on rainy days.

Handling is the number one best feature of the QV. I recently purchased a second 2nd set of wheels fitted with the Michelin AS3 plus so that I can drive it in the cold months. I do not know where you are planning on living in the U.S., but if it's in a cold climate you should plan on buying a second set of wheels and tires, or else park the car until spring. The Michelin AS3's are ok, but they have definitely taken away some of the joy in driving the car. I now appreciate just how much fun P-Zero Corsas really are to to drive.

In regard to turbo lag, I do not notice it very much, but what I do notice are the lazy launches from a stationary start. I agree that it is really bizarre for a high end $80+ sports sedan to have such lazy launches. I am hoping that a company named Eurocompuslion will start selling a tune for the QV in the near future. My number one desire with a tune is a snappier launch from a stationary start. The tune will also provide more horsepower, but I don't really care about that... I just want snappier launches. If you test drive a QV again, I recommend that you simply squeeze the gas pedal to start out from a dead stop, and then after a few feet you can begin giving it more gas. Mashing the gas pedal for a quick launch will not work, and can actually result in a slower launch. The QV is a lot quicker off of the line that you might think, but it feels sluggish because the launch is highly controlled by the computer to minimize any "drama".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts