Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For those who have issues following let me summarize it.

Before Alfa, Gianluca Pivetti worked at Ferrari. He applied all his accumulated knowledge while designing this engine.

The new challenge that he undertook at Alfa was to add a high level of efficiency to a best in class performance engine.
His design calls for two totally distinct three cylinder engines, each one with interdependent intake, ECU, exhaust and turbo.
The two engines are connected only at the crankshaft. The efficiency is achieved by completely turning one off. Unlike existing
modular engine technology in this one the injection, valves, turbo and lubrication are all the turned off.

It took them three yeas from the whiteboard to production. The first 18 months designing it and the rest testing it and refining
the building process to the desired quality standard.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Very interesting. I know it adopts cylinder deactivation, but I wasn't aware of the extent of independence between the 2 engine banks. Almost sounds something out of an academic research project, it's truly amazing how well they executed the design!

·
Registered
261 Posts
uneven engine wear?

Reviving an old thread here...

Perhaps this design accounts for the slow throttle response. The right bank should be disable at idle...
According to FCA training material, right bank only disables between 25km/h and 125km/h.
Please forgive me if my ignorance leads me to ask a dumb question... If it is always and only the right bank which deactivates, then doesn't that imply that the left bank will experience more wear and tear over time? And as the left bank gradually wears faster, wouldn't that result in somewhat different performance profiles between the left and right banks, especially after 50K or 100K miles of driving, leading to an unbalanced engine?

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reviving an old thread here...

Please forgive me if my ignorance leads me to ask a dumb question... If it is always and only the right bank which deactivates, then doesn't that imply that the left bank will experience more wear and tear over time? And as the left bank gradually wears faster, wouldn't that result in somewhat different performance profiles between the left and right banks, especially after 50K or 100K miles of driving, leading to an unbalanced engine?
Good question, and because of this I'll continue to not use the A option.

·
Registered
869 Posts
In other cars the pistons still move they just receive no fuel and the valves are opened so no pumping losses - this way the deactivated cylinders still wear.

With the total shut down of the lube system and all I'm not sure if this is still the case.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Not sure about the lube system. If the crank turns the oil pump should turn.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In other cars the pistons still move they just receive no fuel and the valves are opened so no pumping losses - this way the deactivated cylinders still wear.

With the total shut down of the lube system and all I'm not sure if this is still the case.
I would assume the pistons still move also since they share a common crank and of course they must still be getting oil.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
The deactivated pistons are physically attached to the crankshaft so it should still move, its just the combustion process that's deactivated. MacGeek previously posted on the concern about the possible uneven wear and tear and temperatures variances and he indicated that the deactivated cylinder bank will active after a set period of inactivity.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...cy-mode-only-uses-one-side-v-bank-always.html

The system was designed to continue to meet the ever stringent restrictions on emissions and gasoline efficiency. The design would inherently introduce uneven wear to both cylinder banks (1 bank would have x number of additional combustion processes compared to the other) but that is the price manufacturers face to continue designing powerful cars while remaining EPA, Euro 2+, CARB compliant. Unfortunately, the consumer will be the one the pays the price at the end.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
That's why I lease now....
its getting to that point. Cadillac is even thinking of a Lease only program with their cars.

We are getting to a point where we cannot service these vehicles ourselves. The ever increasing EPA requirements are making manufactures do crazy engine designs that can create issues in the long term.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I see a lease as a trust relationship between me and the manufacturer. I am just borrowing their car for a while. Because it's theirs they will maintain it for me but I have to return it like I borrowed it.

My only issue I worry about is if this relationship can become one similar to that of Amazon and the books it sells on the Kindle - in a more mature state/model than we see today. Amazon can "take" those books away from you for certain reasons and you have no say; they will give you your money back. GM did something similar with their first electric cars, the EV1. You never owned that thing it was only ever a beta test and they wanted them back!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
is there an indication to tell that when cylinder deactivation has been activated? :)
I don't know but, if you have time, check a post titled "...Why the hate of "A" Mode ..." or somithing like that. There are many sub-posts included there talking about cylinder deactivation and different interpretations.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.