Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone from corporate is reading this, hope this becomes an option. My wife is Italian and I have been to the Alfa factory in bologna (as well as all the other Italian icons such as Ferrari, Pagani, and Imola). It would be a dream come true to drive my car beforehand on the back roads of Italy.

I am sure everyone else wouldn't mind the option as well :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd be on board with a program like that. I know plenty of military personnel that have taken advantage of European Delivery Programs. When I was stationed in Germany, it was common to buy European cars and use EDP to effectively ship two cars back without having to pay for shipping on either one (yes, the truth is you're paying to ship the one you bought, it's just rolled into the price and financing). You're only entitled to ship one car each way on military orders.

So EDP gives a manufacturer another way to tap into the sizable market of U.S. military personnel serving in Europe.

I'll be retired by the time I'm seriously weighing the option to buy a Giulia (right now I need to secure solid post-military employment before I commit to a new car). Timing wise if I could hop over to Europe and drive my new Giulia around Italy for a few days before hopping back, I'd jump at the chance! No doubt my wife would as well. We got down to Italy a few times, but still have plenty to explore (Amalfi Coast, for example). This would make a great excuse!

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much did shipping end up costing you in price?
Perhaps my wording was ambiguous. I didn't personally take advantage of a European Delivery Program when I was stationed there. However for those I know who did, there was no extra charge for shipping. The truth is, shipping is already factored into the price you pay for a car no matter where in the world you are and no matter where in the world the car is built.

Here's info on BMW's EDP:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/EuropeanDelivery/Default.aspx

and Porsche's:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/europeandelivery/theultimatevacacion/

In fact for military personnel, there was usually an additional tax advantage to buying and registering a German car while stationed in Germany compared to waiting to get back to the U.S. With the status of forces agreement, we were able to register and drive U.S. spec cars in Germany and then use the EDP entitlement to ship them back when our tour was up. Most states in the U.S. at the time wouldn't try to collect sales tax upon return stateside so long as your date of purchase was over a year prior.

But to answer your question, shipping a car from Europe to the U.S. costs around 2 grand, if memory serves...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts