Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for almost 4 months(minus 2 weeks). It has the leather package option, and i'm planning on using Autoglym's Leather Cleaner and Leather Care Balm to clean and maintain it. I was wondering if anyone here any any experience with these products in their Giulia and if they've had any issues?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I think those are fine. I have not used them and plan to use cQuartz leather but I have to wait for it to cool off. The tough part for me is using anything that can get on the alcantara. I treated that already and will do it again in the fall.

I think those sound like good cleaner and conditioners. Just keep it up

·
Registered
691 Posts
How do you treat the alcantra? I've just vacuumed it. Also how often are you guys/gals treating the leather? Same product for seats, dash, etc?

·
Registered
399 Posts
That may depend on where you live and if the car is garged or not and if it sits in the parking lot while you work.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I used cQuartz fabric after vacuuming really well. Very sparingly. For the leather right now I am just using carpro interior detailer or water and a dry towel. Since we are in the heat I am going to condition it which is what is making me hold off a bit on the CQuartz leather. I want to make sure it will keep the leather conditioned as well as protection from UV rays. 6 years in the heat of the garage and outdoors with my mini leather has held up very well but this is really solid leather (I know on a Cooper) 6 years ago about a 3500 upgrade so it is thick "lounge leather".

This brings up a good question on Leather on these cars. Does it vary between the Quad, Lusso and Sports? I know the grain is different. No grain on the Sparco, course on the Ti and smooth on the Lusso. I believe they are all leather vs leatherette but I could not get a decent answer out of the sales guys. They said "its Italian Leather" Really where is the material spec's? No show.

Anyone know or care?

·
Registered
443 Posts
For leather I use lexolm cleaner followed by lexol conditioner. It's gotten expensive since car guys have found it but at horse supply shops it's still pretty cheap.

Don't forget about plain old white vinegar too!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm no expert on leather care so take this for what it's worth, but the leather in my Giulia seems to be this basically impermeable, plastic-coated leather that holds up much longer than regular/traditional leather but also doesn't lend itself to traditional leather treatments. It might be that treating your leather with regular conditioners will amount to no more than giving the plastic coating a shiny sheen, but no more. Here's a test. Let a drop of water sit on the leather for a few minutes. If it doesn't absorb, spread it around. If it still doesn't absorb, I doubt your conditioner will be absorbed either. Leather in older cars will soak up the water, and the conditioner, eventually. Myself, I used 303 protectant on mine. Water-based UV protection that deepens the look of the leather without any silicon shine.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Water will slowly absorb into mine. I believe any quality leather conditioner, every three months, should do just fine.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You have to apply any type of conditioner or cleaner with an applicator sponge to avoid touching the alacantara. I have not treated the leather yet just the alcantara. The carbon fiber backs and sides on the Sparco I am thinking of the 303 to help avoice the yellowing that happens with CF over time.

Anyone think of using the 303 on Carbon Fiber?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
My car's leather does a great job of capturing and retaining (but not absorbing/hiding) sunscreen. Maybe thinks it's a protectant?

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prolly going to sound like a total noob....

I got the leather package in my car. How can i tell whats alcantara?

Cheers

·
Registered
691 Posts
Prolly going to sound like a total noob....

I got the leather package in my car. How can i tell whats alcantara?

Cheers
It's the suede like material on the seat insets.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got the Ti Sport. @robertmee the seats look the same color all over and feel the same too. The dash & steering has a black/gray leather(i assume).
I may be mistaken, but I believe Alcantara only was offered in the Quadrifoglio

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use Meguiars Gold Class wipes for the leather. Very easy to use and works great. All my detailing products are Meguiars. Easy to get and great results without too much work.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I've been using Lexol leather conditioner based on the advice in the forums. It does change the color and sheen of the leather slightly, so I presume that it is being absorbed. It also likes to stick to adjacent plastics and alter their appearance, so some care in application is called for and maybe this indicates that the Lexol is simply sitting on the surface of the leather coating. Only time will tell me if this is actually working well.

Real uncoated leather should be treated with Hyde Food or similar lanolin based creams. Uncoated leather treated with Lanolin will last a very long time.

The non-QV Giulia seats are "leather faced" so the sides and back of the seats are vinyl "leatherette" or cloth. All the other car brands in this price range are the same way. If you look carefully you can see the change in "grain" and color, although it is matched pretty closely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts