Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am trying to m=buy used giulia and I almost bought a 2018 one for $21900 with 12K miles. But when I called my insurnace company they said the insurance on 2018 is $400 more per 6 month compared to 2017. I asked them if the rate will come down in 1 year to current 2017 for 2018 one and they said no.

How is possible?

I am not sure now because I read that 2018 one much more reliable that 2017 model...
What should I do? get 2017 instead? The insurance cost premium is simply too much on 2018.

Thank you for help guys!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Check with other insurance companies. The only difference in rates should relate directly to the difference in the value of the two cars. FWIW full coverage on my 2017 < $300/6 months (and about the same 1 year ago).

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
345 Posts
Insurance is nutty - when we went from a leased 2016 Ram Big Horn to a leased 2018 Ram Laramie the yearly insurance went down like $300 - both were equal configurations (Crew cabs, 4x4, Hemi) except the 2018 had more features and a larger MSRP. The 2018 Giulia is also a few hundred less than the leased 2017 Challenger but Giulia MSRP was $5k higher.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am trying to m=buy used giulia and I almost bought a 2018 one for $21900 with 12K miles. But when I called my insurnace company they said the insurance on 2018 is $400 more per 6 month compared to 2017. I asked them if the rate will come down in 1 year to current 2017 for 2018 one and they said no.

How is possible?

I am not sure now because I read that 2018 one much more reliable that 2017 model...
What should I do? get 2017 instead? The insurance cost premium is simply too much on 2018.

Thank you for help guys!
The reliability between the 2017 and 2018 is a wash. There really is no difference, once the 2017 has all the software updates installed and the turbo o-ring and brake line recalls remedied. I do know that the repair times and costs of the Giulia were responsible for an increase after the first year, that may be a portion of the difference.

There are a number of other factors that might influence rates. A Base 2017, like mine, but without the full passive and active safety options was about $4,000 cheaper To buy but would be $100 a year more to insure. So a $42k car was going to be $500 for 6 months while a $46k car was going to be $450 for the same coverage.

As suggested above, it’s time to call the big name firms and an independent agent to shop rates. You’ll need a VIN and a list of coverages, to make sure they quote the same thing. I suggest you look at AAA (requires membership), USAA (if eligible) and Amica (picky about who they cover) in addition to the usual Allstate, State Farm, Farmers, Geico, Progessive, etc. Then have an independent agent do the same. Some states have a website that shows sample rates within the state for various companies. You should also investigate the companies with the best rates to see customer satisfaction (same state website, usually) and financial ratings (I stick to A+ rated companies). Consumer Reports also rates companies, so find a friend with a subscription.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Change insurance. I pay $500 every 6 months for a fully loaded Ti. Including collision and everything

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys!
I just called state farm and the cost was almost same!
I have no idea what is up with Progressive, the agents are rude and they refuse to explain why there is such large difference.
I also missed out on the 2018 giulia as well. It just sold.

My next question is this.

between 2017 and 2018 is there huge difference in reliability? I read that alot of things were fixed for 2018 models and also Consumer report has worst possible rating on 2017, while 2018 is rated as fair...

Should pay more for 2018?

Let me know guys and again thank you!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Where are you located?

I just switched from Liberty Mutual to Plymouth Rock Assurance and saved a lot.

They only insure in the northeast I believe though.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
CR could prove useful in these times of toilet paper shortage..
It’s the same car, only advantage is that 2018 has CarPlay.
I recommend getting an estimate on the website instead of over the phone. All the major companies, and then you pick the cheapest.
For me it was Progressive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well.... I have progressive and the agents are not very helpful... They would not explain why there is so much difference between 2018 and 2017...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
As @Il_Conte said, only real difference between the two model years is CarPlay assuming all applicable recalls, TSBs and campaigns have been completed on both cars. No reliability difference.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
$600/6 mo. for me. I have two boys in the house under the age of 25, so that's why it's that high. Full coverage. $500 deductible.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
$600/6 mo. for me. I have two boys in the house under the age of 25, so that's why it's that high. Full coverage. $500 deductible.
Yeah, 2 boys under the age of 25 will qualify you for the vehicular homicide rate for sure.....I’m surprised it’s that low! 🙂

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Yeah, 2 boys under the age of 25 will qualify you for the vehicular homicide rate for sure.....I’m surprised it’s that low! 🙂
knock on wood they're 21 and 20 and have ZERO violations/accidents. Good kids, good grades. Not sure how that happened, I was a nightmare. :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm with progressive and am insuring two to sports, a Stelvio and a Giulia. Both have all of the safety upgrades, adaptive cruise, etc. And I'm paying 650/6 months. I have no tickets or other drivers in the house.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Whats the total loss value between the 2017 and a 2018? If you were to wreck both cars today and get paid 14k for the 2017 and 19k for the 2018 that could be a reason for the difference in premiums, and something to think about whether you consider insurance to be just a mandatory expense or actual "protection"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. I live in Chicago and have a 2017 Ti Q4 and the cost is $700 and change per 6 months. Ridiculous! State Farm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you guys so much! I found a carrier that will do same for both cars.

But now... I found out the 2018 does not have paddle shifters... I know I am picky but its something that i really want.
However 2018 is only base. Vroom also has 2017 Ti sport available soon that will have it with and moonroof an harmon kardon stereo, and 18in wheel.
They are same price... its matter of waiting and 2017 ti vs 2018 base for same cost. Also remaining warranty is 22k for 2017 and 37k for 2018. But i will get 5 year extension from mopar.

What should i do? help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you guys so much! I found a carrier that will do same for both cars.

But now... I found out the 2018 does not have paddle shifters... I know I am picky but its something that i really want.
However 2018 is only base. Vroom also has 2017 Ti sport available soon that will have it with and moonroof an harmon kardon stereo, and 18in wheel.
They are same price... its matter of waiting and 2017 ti vs 2018 base for same cost. Also remaining warranty is 22k for 2017 and 37k for 2018. But i will get 5 year extension from mopar.

What should i do? help!
wist until you find exactly what you want. I was faced with the same choice and waited. Found a 2017 with 3K miles with everything I wanted for a very reasonable price. Had warranty left, had all recalls completed. Car has been flawless so far. The only thing I wish it had was Apple Car Play. I believe the 2018s do. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What should i do? help!
OK, let’s break it down.

Giulia’s are pretty common on the used car market in bigger urban/suburban areas, so any of the major national brokers should have some.

2017 - Lowest cost, less warranty remaining, no ACP/AA without aftermarket mods. Note that Base and Ti configurations were simpler than 2018 (needs a careful reading of features).

2018 - Higher cost, more warranty remaining, most have ACP/AA...verify rather than trust, configurations got a bit wonky (lots or research needed)

Actual physical difference between the two are minimal, and the most obvious is the upgrades to the Infotainment system speed and addition of ACP/AA. Reliability wise, it’s a total wash other than the possibility the 2018 may have the revised headlight unit design, where the 2017 likely has had the unit replaced. Either way, get a read out of all the work done on the car, if possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts