Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Q2 (Alfa White)
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased the MA MAXFlow intake upgrade and installed it.

First I want to talk about the order...I ordered this on the 13th and received it on the 18th. I viewed the website between the the date I ordered and the date I received it and never saw any mentioned of it throwing codes or being discounted because of it. I did view the site on Friday the 19th and while viewing other products happened to see that now the part is more than half off due to it possibly throwing codes. Wish I'd have known...I wouldn't have bought it at $229 for the chance of it throwing codes, but probably would have at $149. Also, would have been nice to have been notified at least.

In any event, I have it and am not really impressed with it, as it doesn't really fit correctly without some admittedly minor modifications...I had to cut about 1/2 an inch off the tube (Marked in yellow) so that the sensor would fit...and even with it cut down, you can still see that the part of the tube that fits into the air box (Marked in Green) still doesn't sit right.

Also, I can see why it might throw codes as the fitting for the top sensor and the two on the bottom fit snugly, but could do with some hose clamps.

With all that said, I did get it installed but plan to hit up O'Riley's for a larger clamp for the intake box and three smaller for the sensors...I took it for a quick test drive on the freeway and on regular roads and am happy to report that so far no codes...

One last thing, the website states "All Hardware and instructions included"...which is not true. While I did get the proper fittings, as I said, even some cheap clamps would have been nice. But no instructions were included. That would have been nice to have to help explain how to remove some of fittings, especially the one marked in yellow (Sorry, I don't know the name of that part).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I would have returned it if it required modding. I would still push for the difference. Did they list the possible code? My guess the codes are from the venturi. Plastic device two thin tubes connect to. You can get it from eurocumpulsion, in sure they'll have a black Friday deal soon. Definitely replace this thin clamps and ensure everything is air tight. I would reposition it by loosening the air box first, reposition everything else to your liking and then tighten the air box. I would also replace the stock air filter with aftermarket, bmc or similar.

Reactions: Chicago

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4 TI Sport
84 Posts
You should've just got the AFE intake. I looked at getting that before I bought the AFE, but it was constantly on BO. I also thought it didn't make sense to pay over $200 on just an intake pipe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would have returned it if it required modding. I would still push for the difference. Did they list the possible code? My guess the codes are from the venturi. Plastic device two thin tubes connect to. You can get it from eurocumpulsion, in sure they'll have a black Friday deal soon. Definitely replace this thin clamps and ensure everything is air tight. I would reposition it by loosening the air box first, reposition everything else to your liking and then tighten the air box. I would also replace the stock air filter with aftermarket, bmc or similar.
Solid advice. I didn't think to loosen up the airbox...but I will after getting some clamps. I had already dropped in a K&N filter.

No, no code list posted...and so far, no codes on the car, so for now...everything is cool.

·
Registered
IG @alfa.visconti
46 Posts
Recently I purchased the MA MAXFlow intake upgrade and installed it.

First I want to talk about the order...I ordered this on the 13th and received it on the 18th. I viewed the website between the the date I ordered and the date I received it and never saw any mentioned of it throwing codes or being discounted because of it. I did view the site on Friday the 19th and while viewing other products happened to see that now the part is more than half off due to it possibly throwing codes. Wish I'd have known...I wouldn't have bought it at $229 for the chance of it throwing codes, but probably would have at $149. Also, would have been nice to have been notified at least.

In any event, I have it and am not really impressed with it, as it doesn't really fit correctly without some admittedly minor modifications...I had to cut about 1/2 an inch off the tube (Marked in yellow) so that the sensor would fit...and even with it cut down, you can still see that the part of the tube that fits into the air box (Marked in Green) still doesn't sit right.

Also, I can see why it might throw codes as the fitting for the top sensor and the two on the bottom fit snugly, but could do with some hose clamps.

With all that said, I did get it installed but plan to hit up O'Riley's for a larger clamp for the intake box and three smaller for the sensors...I took it for a quick test drive on the freeway and on regular roads and am happy to report that so far no codes...

One last thing, the website states "All Hardware and instructions included"...which is not true. While I did get the proper fittings, as I said, even some cheap clamps would have been nice. But no instructions were included. That would have been nice to have to help explain how to remove some of the fittings, especially the one marked in yellow (Sorry, I don't know the name of that part).
I had some of the same issues you had and returned mine. Eric over there was very helpful trying to Diagnose with me what might be causing the Errors that I did get.

Ultimately it was more worth it to exchange for something else and I ended up getting the EC V2 Intake kit when they came out with their own Cone later on. The EC one has much better attachments to the hoses than the Madness one which is pretty basic imo.

·
Vendor
1,219 Posts
Hello Morfiend,

First thank you for your purchase. We see you posted some feedback so we will do our best to respond.

1. We have this very same pieces installed on our own Giulia and have put one well over 25,000 without any issues or lights. This is the case with most, but a small amount of people that install this item (usually about 1 out of 10) are getting lights after installing this piece. Lately we have seen it happen a little more often. Due to this we have updated the listing to disclose this.

2. We have not had any reports of anyone needing to do any trimming of the hose in order to install (out of 100's). If you ever have an issue or a question about any item you purchase from us give us a buzz first prior to doing any modifications. Sometimes a part can be a bit off, but this item is made out of a fixed mold and there should not have been any need for modification. We would have been happy to assist, but it looks like you already did some trimming.

3. We just received a large shipment of Silicone parts and our supplier accidentally overproduced this particular hose and shorted us another one we were expecting. Due to this error we now have a very large supply of these hoses in stock. Because of this management decided to substantially reduce the cost of the item until our stock goes down to a more manageable level. We simply need the room.

4. It sounds like you bought the item and the next day it went on sale. No problem with helping you out. We will reach out to you directly offline and get you a credit for the difference. We will also get you some additional compensation for the trouble that you can put towards a High Performance Air Filter like BMC or Sprint.

In the future if you ever have a question please give us a buzz and we will do our best to assist.

Look out for a PM.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi MA:

1. I misunderstood about the discount and the timing of the notice regarding code. My apologies!

2. Yes, I trimmed it already, assuming that there was no returns. Most companies aren't so helpful so I tend to be a bit jaded about asking them for help.

3. See 1 above!

4. Replied in messages. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts