Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing the rack was a bit of a pain since for some reason it didn’t want to latch. But after a couple of mins of fiddling I figured it out. Then 25 min drive along twisting roads with mountains on one side and lakes on the other we arrived at our desitination - a small ski resort in the Swiss Alps. Life is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Can’t be too many QV’s out there with ski racks on them! What tires you run in the winter?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Installing the rack was a bit of a pain since for some reason it didn’t want to latch. But after a couple of mins of fiddling I figured it out. Then 25 min drive along twisting roads with mountains on one side and lakes on the other we arrived at our desitination - a small ski resort in the Swiss Alps. Life is good.
That's what Suburus and Volvos are for.>:)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks so awesome. What brand racks did you buy and where?
I got them through the dealer here in Switzerland. They are Thule so I assume you can get them in NA as well. The fit is very good. You can get different attachments for the bars (aero). Eg ski, bike etc. It is nice to have since the back seats don’t go down in the Quad if you need to carry some some extra or long item.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
it's so clean! Did you make your partner get out and snap your picture?

So far very happy with my Sottozeros. And so far no need for chains here.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's so clean! Did you make your partner get out and snap your picture?

So far very happy with my Sottozeros. And so far no need for chains here.
If you zoom in on the pic you will see the dirt. I mentioned to her earlier that I wanted to take a pic with the rack on. She surprised me with that one though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Could you post the Thule part number? Thule does not have the Giulia listed on their NA site and Mopar only has the attachments.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's what Suburus and Volvos are for.>:)
Yeah, but I've never seen such a classy looking car in any ski area parking lot in all my many decades of skiing.

Great photo!

Reactions: Gfrfan

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thule has assigned different part numbers and component names for their roof racks in Europe vs. the U.S, so you will have to visually match them to what is available in the U.S. market. I cannot say for sure why Thule did this, but I suspect it's because they want to charge more for the same items in the U.S. market. I have compared prices between Europe and the U.S., and it's amazing how much more expensive the same items cost in the U.S.

All of the big components are definitely available in the US, but I am not certain that you can buy the rubber pads that are custom fit for the Giulia. Last Summer I could not find those pads in the the U.S.

I bought the Thule rack system along with 2 bicycle racks last year, but I have not use them because I couldn't figure out how to do the installation by myself. It seems as if it takes two people to do it, which is a problem because I live alone. And I was probably afraid of scratching the roof of my car, which made me extremely cautious. Maybe I will try again in the spring. I had to order the components from a company in the UK, and paid to have them shipped to my address in the US.

If you go looking in the US market for the equivalent components, you will find that the big components are only available in a black finish. The components that I bought have a silver finish, but I could not find the equivalent components with a silver finish here in the US. And as I mentioned earlier, the custom rubber pads for the Giulia might still not be available in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I respect him for using his car. He's enjoying it, not babying it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very cool adventure, SwissAlfa. Beats sitting in traffic commuting to work.
I learned to ski in Zermatt, Switzerland. When I came back to the US, the east coast ski slopes were so disappointing I never went back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I was in Zermatt last summer. It was a bit painful seeing terrain I knew I was likely never to ski.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to do a Thule ski rack with a car that has a the sunroof option? If not, I may go for one of these:

Classic Ski Rack

Seems relatively cheap, but I wish it were wider so I could fit more skis.
I enjoy skiing. I’m not an avid skier though. But couldn’t you just drop backseat and lay skis down if need be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I enjoy skiing. I’m not an avid skier though. But couldn’t you just drop backseat and lay skis down if need be?
you could, but then you’re limiting the number of passengers you can take. You’re also introducing something to shift around in the interior when the road gets twisty, as it often does on the way to the mountains.

I would rather put the skis on the roof and leave more luggage space, split gas and drive up with friends.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you could, but then you’re limiting the number of passengers you can take. You’re also introducing something to shift around in the interior when the road gets twisty, as it often does on the way to the mountains.

I would rather put the skis on the roof and leave more luggage space, split gas and drive up with friends.
I prefer to keep my skis cold.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you mean the OEM Thule manufactured roof rack, yes you can install it on a Giulia with the sunroof but you cannot open the sunroof while installed as the roof rack overlaps the glass.

FWIW, the OEM roof rack is great and takes less than 10 minutes to install/remove.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts