Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Changing the venturi was always a stupid design decision by EC. The entire air metering system is built around the flow characteristics of the venturi. That is a completely different issue and causes the same issue in practically every modern car unless you can change tables in the ECU correctly.
You lift off the gas, bov or recirc vale opens, at the same time engine load goes to zilch and you are in engine braking and that causes fuel to longer be injected at all.

You can't be rich or lean if no fuel is injected. Also a rich condition is not bad for a turbo car anyway...
According to turbosmart...

Vent to atmosphere BOVs can also cause slight over-fueling between gear changes as a portion of metered air is released from the intake system. This over fueling is not harmful to the engine as the unburnt fuel will exit the engine as exhaust. If the slight cavitation and over fueling is unwanted, then most of the benefits of fitting our vent to atmosphere BOVs are in the plumb back but without the vent to atmosphere noise, slight cavitation and slight over-fueling.

And thats downplaying it from a bov manufacturer themselves.

You can get this condition on transient responses as well and where i also noticed it was goosing the car backing out of the garage where you are off idle and during cold start and fueling continues.

Rich like 11:1 is fine. 8:1 es no bueno.

Plus you lose out on the factory bpv keeping the compressor spinning. Borg Warner even incorporates this recirc function built right on the efr turbos both for performance and Borg Warner also specifically states this is "...to keep maf systems happy"

·
Registered
2020 ALFA ROMEO STELVIO TI Q4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you all for all of these amazing view points. I have been driving in the N mode now. It has helped a little bit with the lag issue. I will be taking it off. I will look into the GFB DV. I will read up on it. I appreciate the help. I did a computer reset also to see if the lag would go away( I was sitting in the seat at the same time- seat even crunched me) I still had the lag issues etc. I will be looking into further mods also from the website. Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
According to turbosmart...

Vent to atmosphere BOVs can also cause slight over-fueling between gear changes as a portion of metered air is released from the intake system. This over fueling is not harmful to the engine as the unburnt fuel will exit the engine as exhaust. If the slight cavitation and over fueling is unwanted, then most of the benefits of fitting our vent to atmosphere BOVs are in the plumb back but without the vent to atmosphere noise, slight cavitation and slight over-fueling.

And thats downplaying it from a bov manufacturer themselves.

You can get this condition on transient responses as well and where i also noticed it was goosing the car backing out of the garage where you are off idle and during cold start and fueling continues.

Rich like 11:1 is fine. 8:1 es no bueno.

Plus you lose out on the factory bpv keeping the compressor spinning. Borg Warner even incorporates this recirc function built right on the efr turbos both for performance and Borg Warner also specifically states this is "...to keep maf systems happy"
And other people actually pay extra for that on a tune - called "anti-lag" and "pops and bangs" where you overfuel and/or retard ignition to the point you send fuel to the turbo

·
Registered
288 Posts
And other people actually pay extra for that on a tune - called "anti-lag" and "pops and bangs" where you overfuel and/or retard ignition to the point you send fuel to the turbo
“Pops and Bangs” over time can wreck havoc on your catalytic converter as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Honestly, at the end it’s the end users choice What they do with their cars. No need to disrespect each others opinions and / or knowledge. Have a nice civilized conversation without degrading each other. If you know more on a certain subject teach and coach.

·
Registered
288 Posts
And that is relevant to this thread because? Nobody is getting pops and bangs level of overfueling from a bov
I was referring to your previous statement about pops and bangs from a tune or did I read that incorrectly?

To elaborate, with a pops and bangs tune, fuel not burnt in the cylinder flows through the exhaust where it typically ignites at the cat, causing degradation with time, possible O2 sensor fouling and definitely reduced gas mileage. For those that don’t plan on keeping the car long term probably have nothing to be worried about but I would hate to be the second owner.

·
Vendor
1,036 Posts
That's what I ordered, but they sent the dual-port / bov version by mistake. I emailed @MADNESS Autoworks and I'm sure they'll get me sorted.
Hello Toradora,

Thank you for your support and reaching out to us. I'll send you a PM to make sure this is getting taken care of for you.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts