Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ALFA ROMEO STELVIO TI Q4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received and installed my BOV Kompact EM Dual port VR3 JEEP today. Question. Is the Jeep BOV and Alfa part the same? Received from Madness. I also ordered the Pro engine module from them, it has not shipped yet. Any one have info on these items? 2020 Stelvio. I will search the forum also. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you install a BOV?
Why would you name yourself madmike? Look Mike, if you want to be helpful, please be helpful and explain something like a BOV is worthless try this for this purpose. Thank you

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
380 Posts
Why would you name yourself madmike? Look Mike, if you want to be helpful, please be helpful and explain something like a BOV is worthless try this for this purpose. Thank you
I think it was a valid question. As someone who doesn't have one on my car, why would I want one? Share some knowledge. What is the benefit? Maybe I'll get one too!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think it was a valid question. As someone who doesn't have one on my car, why would I want one? Share some knowledge. What is the benefit? Maybe I'll get one too!
Some people will say the car feels more responsive, even more will say they love the whoosh sound, and others will say they threw a CEL and remove it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Not sure why you found my question offensive. Our cars have diverter vales which is newer technology and can reduce your lag time vs. BOV which vent your turbo pressure to atmosphere.

So, my question stands and hopefully it won't offend you this time. I will rephrase:

Why would you want to install 1980s technology that will give you more turbo lag and possibly cause other complications and CELs? What is the intended benefit?

If you are upgrading to a turbo that pushes more air and your calculations show that the OEM diverter valve can't keep up, that would be a good reason to get one and that is why I asked, I'm curious if you are running larger turbo/s?

As to my name, there are stories from my Air Force days that I can't repeat on a family site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, Airforce explains it all! USMC! 1999-2005 Diesel Mechanic, Then I ate crayons and switched to the ARMY. I retired in 2016. First turbo car ever. I am not offended, I asked if anyone had any info on these items. I do not know about them, I was reading on this site and decided to buy them. At this time, I believe I want to take the BOV off. I am having more lag, I just hit 550 miles. I want more horsepower. I am reading the forum to get ideas. I bought the Ti Sport package for the basic needs: sport tuned suspension, carbon fiber drive shaft, driver modes, etc. I have never owned a turbo vehicle. I used the USAA program to get this one. Deal I couldn't turn down. I normally purchase the SRT Dodges and the ZR1 Camaros. I traded my Z51 vette for this Alfa for a new project. Any suggestions to guide, I will appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
63 Posts
I have a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport, also my first turbo vehicle. I would suggest looking into the Madness GOPedal throttle controller. I have the Bluetooth enabled version and love it. It removes much of the turbo lag you noted by using modified throttle response curves. Mine even allows you to custom program your own response curve right off their smartphone app! Very easy and quick to install and not much $$$ (currently on sale). BTW, thank you for your service.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Get GFB DV+ - I did a review on it not too long ago and recommend. It gives enough boost and maintains it, and reduces lag time. BOV both worth it at all.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Get GFB DV+ - I did a review on it not too long ago and recommend. It gives enough boost and maintains it, and reduces lag time. BOV both worth it at all.
I have this sitting in my garage for a while now. I was going to install it when I did my oil change a few weeks ago but didn't get to it. I'll try this week.

To the OP, keep in mind that a BOV vents to the atmosphere after the air is measured by the MAF sensor so you may run rich and cause the car to feel like it is bogging.

·
Registered
874 Posts
There is no harm or benefit to BOV besides sound. A recirulated system exists to muffler sound... Nothing more and nothing less
True except the giulia is tuned for bpv and utilizes a maf instead of just map sensors. Since the bpv is post maf you are no longer metering air correctly if you vent to atmosphere. This means rich conditions on lift off/ gear change and potential p0101 codes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There is no harm or benefit to BOV besides sound. A recirulated system exists to muffler sound... Nothing more and nothing less
Unfortunately, this is not a true statement as it is after the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I did it. Measured rich conditions (not many people datalog to know its happening) and got infrequent p0101 codes.
Never did on my car when I experimented. Why would it - the valve opens on throttle lift which also caused the ECU to cut fuel off

·
Registered
847 Posts
Never did on my car when I experimented. Why would it - the valve opens on throttle lift which also caused the ECU to cut fuel off
It sounds like you have your mind made up already.

However, to answer your question, the reason that it would is that the air is already measured and compressed in the intake tubing and intercooler. The fuel is injected based on the volume of air that passed the MAF. Releasing that air into atmosphere without also reducing the fuel by the same amount of air released will result in a rich scenario.

So in a simplified, non-real, exaggerated example: if your MAF is measuring 100 cubic feet of air a second and your car is trying to run a 14:1 ratio it is calculating how much fuel to inject for 100 cubic feet. If you vent 50 to atmosphere, you have just dumped 2X too much fuel into the engine.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yeah i am very hard on the car uncovering weak points and although it took several hundred miles usually i did get p0101 codes from it. No issues since.

We know this car is EXTREMELY finicky about metered air. After the w05 update just a simple change in intake venturi (pressure device) caused check engine lights and even after putting different flow devices in there the problem has to be 100% solved with a tune.

In addition to metered air issues with a bov you also lose the performance benefits of a bpv over a bov.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It sounds like you have your mind made up already.

However, to answer your question, the reason that it would is that the air is already measured and compressed in the intake tubing and intercooler. The fuel is injected based on the volume of air that passed the MAF. Releasing that air into atmosphere without also reducing the fuel by the same amount of air released will result in a rich scenario.

So in a simplified, non-real, exaggerated example: if your MAF is measuring 100 cubic feet of air a second and your car is trying to run a 14:1 ratio it is calculating how much fuel to inject for 100 cubic feet. If you vent 50 to atmosphere, you have just dumped 2X too much fuel into the engine.

You lift off the gas, bov or recirc vale opens, at the same time engine load goes to zilch and you are in engine braking and that causes fuel to longer be injected at all.

You can't be rich or lean if no fuel is injected. Also a rich condition is not bad for a turbo car anyway...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah i am very hard on the car uncovering weak points and although it took several hundred miles usually i did get p0101 codes from it. No issues since.

We know this car is EXTREMELY finicky about metered air. After the w05 update just a simple change in intake venturi (pressure device) caused check engine lights and even after putting different flow devices in there the problem has to be 100% solved with a tune.

In addition to metered air issues with a bov you also lose the performance benefits of a bpv over a bov.

Changing the venturi was always a stupid design decision by EC. The entire air metering system is built around the flow characteristics of the venturi. That is a completely different issue and causes the same issue in practically every modern car unless you can change tables in the ECU correctly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts