Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all I noticed from when I own the car that the temperature of the inside of the trunk is extremely hot. The other day I putted some tools inside and after a two h drive they were so hot I couldn’t even touch them.
Did anyone experience that the inside of the trunk gets really hot?
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've noticed that too, so i can never put anything in it that needs to stay cool, even the cooler i keep inside the car, not the trunk. Kind of annoying having to think about stuff like that, but what can you do lol

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have not experienced such an issue, even after spirited driving... but then again, I have a straight pipe exhaust so I guess it does not accumulate and radiate heat like a muffler.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My valves are disconnected so the exhaust should behave like a straight through exhaust (for the rear section at least) and the muffler should be redundant but it still gets hot. And to make it worse I fitted 3 big amplifiers on the boot floor. Just had a thought, when picking up a takeaway I should put it in the boot / trunk to keep it warm. Good thinking Alfa!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My valves are disconnected so the exhaust should behave like a straight through exhaust (for the rear section at least) and the muffler should be redundant but it still gets hot. And to make it worse I fitted 3 big amplifiers on the boot floor. Just had a thought, when picking up a takeaway I should put it in the boot / trunk to keep it warm. Good thinking Alfa!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Too much dirt and rocks in the vent holes of the diffuser?
My Q4 trunk gets warm, but not hot directly above the muffler. The muffler cavity has spaced out heat shielding. Does the (larger?) valved muffler of a QV demand more space such that there is less heat shielding?
Another potential source of substantial heat in the trunk is the torque vectoring differential.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
300 Posts
The trunk area in my 2019 QV gets hot AF, never owned a car with this issue before. Stock exhaust, etc. I do not put any groceries back there, for sure.

·
Registered
'19 Giulia QV (Rosso Comp, Black/Red interior, Sparcos)
87 Posts
Yeah I'll +1 this. My 2017 QV had this issue and my 2019 QV seems to also get hot AF in the trunk area. That's with a completely stock exhaust, driven like an enthusiast in race mode 99% of the time

·
Supporting Vendor
587 Posts
Yes, this temperature issue was noted during testing and was one of the reasons we opted for full ceramic coating on our Stradale systems.

I can't say that it fully solves the issue but it sure isn't worse than stock.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've never noticed mine being hot but then I have the forza and my valves are always open

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The trunk area in my 2019 QV gets hot AF, never owned a car with this issue before. Stock exhaust, etc. I do not put any groceries back there, for sure.
You need to get a Jag Etype. The inboard rear brakes get so hot that Jag sold a vent kit consisting of removal of the brake caliper access panels that are inside of the trunk and a vented spacer to hold the trunk lid open. With or without the kit the heat from the rear brakes goes directly into the trunk.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes, this temperature issue was noted during testing and was one of the reasons we opted for full ceramic coating on our Stradale systems.

I can't say that it fully solves the issue but it sure isn't worse than stock.
I agree with Joe - Since getting the Stradale system, my trunk is noticably cooler. Another point to mention is when I had the stock exhaust, my son would sit in the back seat and complain about the seat belt button/metal buckle getting extremely hot. The Stradale exhaust has rectified this.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
300 Posts
I agree with Joe - Since getting the Stradale system, my trunk is noticably cooler. Another point to mention is when I had the stock exhaust, my son would sit in the back seat and complain about the seat belt button/metal buckle getting extremely hot. The Stradale exhaust has rectified this.
Interesting. I'm not currently planning an exhaust change...the car is loud enough as it is IMHO...but I wonder if adding some heat protective material, like a thermal wrap, would help? Trouble with thermal wrap is that the metal underneath can degrade from trapped moisture, etc. Have to give this some thought.

·
Super Moderator
2,778 Posts
Interesting. I'm not currently planning an exhaust change...the car is loud enough as it is IMHO...but I wonder if adding some heat protective material, like a thermal wrap, would help? Trouble with thermal wrap is that the metal underneath can degrade from trapped moisture, etc. Have to give this some thought.
Best option IMO is to do a heat shield, but there may not be room for it above the exhaust.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio, Vulcano Black
38 Posts
Yeah, I get really tired of all that groaning about it "Being hot in here" from the trunk all the time. Thankfully it lasts a much shorter time than it did in my previous cars...

Seriously though, yeah I noticed that immediately. Not much to be done about it unless you fancy putting on some of your own heat shielding on the exhaust. For my part I just don't worry about it and not put anything back there that couldn't stand a little cooking :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dear all I noticed from when I own the car that the temperature of the inside of the trunk is extremely hot. The other day I putted some tools inside and after a two h drive they were so hot I couldn’t even touch them.
Did anyone experience that the inside of the trunk gets really hot?
Thank you for your reply
I have a 2019 QV, and sometime last summer I had the right front control arms replaced, and asked for the original parts back, which were put in the trunk, together in a box. The drive home was about an hour and a half, and when I took them out of the trunk I was surprised that they were very hot, but the trunk itself, the floor mat etc. was not hot. I could only assume that it was affecting metal more than other materials. I regularly put groceries in the trunk, including frozen food and ice cream, and I never noticed any defrosting problem or heat, although the drive from the supermarket is usually less than a mile, although sometimes it is as much as about 5 miles, with speeds not exceeding 40 mph, Has anyone tested other objects besides metal, to see if they got hot also? I see it was mentioned of that the plastic battery compartment cover became very soft.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts