Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today that my Infotainment screen is showing what looks to be small lines / dots on the edges of the border when the navigation is on.

You only see this from an angle and when the navigation display is showing a light color.

You do not see the small lines / dots when the background is dark.

Is this normal or does this need to be addressed as a warranty issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
399 Posts
Warranty. I had mine switched out.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts
You had the exact same issue?

What was the problem?
The plastic screen sucks, I had mine replaced too under warranty.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the issue?

It does not seemed scratched.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plastic screen sucks, I had mine replaced too under warranty.
What was involved with the warranty replacement?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Is this a common problem with the screens?

The crazing occurs on the inside of the screen?
Seems to be. Haven’t experienced personally, but there have been a number of forum members who have reported the issue and had their screens replaced. And yes, I think it’s below the surface layer of the screen. Best to get it addressed while still under warranty.

Reactions: MorganB

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just noticed today that my Infotainment screen is showing what looks to be small lines / dots on the edges of the border when the navigation is on.

You only see this from an angle and when the navigation display is showing a light color.

You do not see the small lines / dots when the background is dark.

Is this normal or does this need to be addressed as a warranty issue?

Thanks

View attachment 103861

View attachment 103862
Omg. Same. Going in to dealer tomorrow for an oil change and a fix. I’ll report back what they say as what they had to fix. Weird that only under navigation does the screen trip out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My cars been gone so long I forgot to mention I wanted to get that done while it was at the dealer. I’ll do it right before it runs out of warranty.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recently had mine replaced under warranty - 2019 Q4.
Geez, on a 2019?! So is the issue actually fixed or are they replacing them with the same flawed displays and hoping time will run out on warranty?

Mine has it as well. I will go in for it to be fixed soon. I still have a while on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Omg. Same. Going in to dealer tomorrow for an oil change and a fix. I’ll report back what they say as what they had to fix. Weird that only under navigation does the screen trip out.
It’s actually a function of the light being projected by the screen, reflecting off the crazing at varying angles, becoming visible when there is enough light to diffuse at various angles. The navigation setting of the screen, at least in daytime mode, illuminates enough of the screen with high light levels to make this more visible. I bet that if you look very carefully on some other screen settings you’ll see traces of this, but not as clearly.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q4
24 Posts
I've got the same crazing on my infotainment screen too. There seem to be a few different theories as to why it happens - some people on this forum were saying strong cleaners used on the interior might've contributed to it while others were saying it's a manufacturing defect plain and simple.

I've also heard from people who got their screens replaced that the technicians told them that the earlier build screens had this problem but that it's been sorted out in later builds... not sure how much truth there is to this, but hope that's true.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts
I've got the same crazing on my infotainment screen too. There seem to be a few different theories as to why it happens - some people on this forum were saying strong cleaners used on the interior might've contributed to it while others were saying it's a manufacturing defect plain and simple.

I've also heard from people who got their screens replaced that the technicians told them that the earlier build screens had this problem but that it's been sorted out in later builds... not sure how much truth there is to this, but hope that's true.
I've never used chemicals on mine, and I also don't park it regularly in the sun. Garage or parking ramp, also I live in Minnesota so it's not 100° outside. I had mine replaced. It's just crappy materials.

Reactions: MorganB

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me know what they say.

I have to bring my car in for the 2 year / 20K service soon, so hoping to have this taken cared of at that time.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q4
24 Posts
I've never used chemicals on mine, and I also don't park it regularly in the sun. Garage or parking ramp, also I live in Minnesota so it's not 100° outside. I had mine replaced. It's just crappy materials.
I'm also inclined to believe that it's just plain crappy materials.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts
Let me know what they say.

I have to bring my car in for the 2 year / 20K service soon, so hoping to have this taken cared of at that time.

Thanks
Call in advance, maybe send a photo to them so they can order it and maaaybe have it there.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't imagine it being affected by using cleaners.

For those that did have it replaced under warranty, how long did it take?

Is this something that can be done while I wait while they do my 2 year / 20K service?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts