Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Not sure if there is something out there about this but i did read somewhere that at times a warning that the infotainment isn't available and restarts? Was it to do with the amp in the boot? Would this apply to all models as mine hasn't got the premium sound system.

On one occasion mine did that (gave me the warning and re-started) but lately (twice) the system would just re-start without warning, as in the screen would go black, restart and start playing. The odd thing here is that it doesn't restart at where it left off but a bit further back (with the USB I think!) if you know what I mean which suggests the USB stick.

I had a Mazda 6 which used to do the same thing but on hot days. I'm going to change the USB stick (verbatim brand) but was wondering if anyone else out there in Giulia land has had the same issue and recommend a good brand of USB?

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,834 Posts
Hey Ponch

does the trip meter reset to zero when this happens ? I have had my trip meter settings reset a couple of times by themselves and it seems to be linked to the infotainment because i noticed my phone favourites went as well

radio settings and everything else was fine

no warnings on mine though, mine is basic sound system as well

was it during wet weather?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
the amp in the boot thing was to do with after market tinting where the detailer would get water in the boot and all over the amp when applying tint on the rear window with lots of water splashing around

·
Registered
91 Posts
Time for a dealer run. They are working on the USB stick update for mine. When it starts, it just keeps rebooting every 3 minutes or so. Annoying, but supposedly the software update fixes it. We will see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a Mazda 6 which used to do the same thing but on hot days. I'm going to change the USB stick (verbatim brand) but was wondering if anyone else out there in Giulia land has had the same issue and recommend a good brand of USB?
Hey Ponch, I don't have the same reboot issue. But I use a Sandisk Ultrafit. It's small and doesn't protrude out much. Have left it in the car most of Melbourne summer, and its doing ok.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So far a software update fixed my rebooting (been two weeks). My Giulia is a 2017 and went from 043 to 055 version.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi juz,

Was just looking at those today.

I did a quick test and it appears the USB I have has a slower transfer rate than expected. So will head out to JB and get one soon.
Who would of thought my nerdy IT side will be useful for a change....next I'll be using calculus!

@ Papa Gallo

I had one instance that it said the radio was not available and the other two times it just rebooted. Once in a hot day and haven't had any problems when it's raining and had my windows tinted. However it hasn't rained down here in a while! The trip meter doesn't reset either. I wonder if it's the software version you are running, if it is I also wonder if it makes it to Australia.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Give a call to the dealer, have your VIN handy, and ask them if there are any incomplete RRTs related to infotainment. If nothing has been done on your car there may be several of these for other things that should all be done.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
@ Papa Gallo

I had one instance that it said the radio was not available and the other two times it just rebooted. Once in a hot day and haven't had any problems when it's raining and had my windows tinted. However it hasn't rained down here in a while! The trip meter doesn't reset either. I wonder if it's the software version you are running, if it is I also wonder if it makes it to Australia.
nah, thats different to what mine has been doing, before and after S/W update

no errors or warnings, just a blanked out tripmeter reset to zero, at random

this is my S/W version

MV-002-009-047
TV-002.009.047

hopefully @McGeek might be reading and offer some info re S/W versions etc

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Give a call to the dealer, have your VIN handy, and ask them if there are any incomplete RRTs related to infotainment. If nothing has been done on your car there may be several of these for other things that should all be done.
i was told you had to have the car presented and scanned with the computer thingy in the workshop to get a precise reading of what you have and need

the VIN will tell you if there is an outstanding campaign, and i think it is limited info that relies on a sometimes inaccurate database (example mine was registered as having had a 6001 but the scanner revealed the 6001 was incomplete in my car and needed to be redone )

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi juz,

Was just looking at those today.

I did a quick test and it appears the USB I have has a slower transfer rate than expected. So will head out to JB and get one soon.
Who would of thought my nerdy IT side will be useful for a change....next I'll be using calculus!
Lol! The sandisk has good transfer speed, but I'm now having another issue on the random shuffle when playing from the USB. I don't think its the USB issue, more the algorithm that shuffles in the infotainment.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...infotainment-not-so-random-music-shuffle.html

·
Registered
204 Posts
and you have voice activated navigation - that is a huge bonus,
If it actually worked. My Audi MMI was always spot on with voice commands. With the Alfa, I said "Navigate home"....and it asked me if I would like to set the nav to go to Wodonga (no I don't live there. :) ). Then I cancelled and tried again....but this time it just said "Dialling XX" and without even asking "would you like to dial..." it just dialled. That was the last time I tried using it. Lol Italian electronics....go figure.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
mine works perfectly,
i even needed to find somewhere really quick while on the run and she found it

she wants to hear a street number or a street name followed by a suburb or town,
try saying

"Navigate to 50 Collins Street Melbourne"
it will come up with a random location on the screen, then she will (should) ask and confirm
"do you want to go to 50 Collins St Melbourne"

there is a script of pre-programmed commands in the manual somewhere, but you should be able to get it to work ... it may be calibrating to your voice at first, thats a thought ... try a couple more times

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
l Italian electronics....go figure.
only when using German parts and/or Bosch electrics LoL

check this poor sod out ... (background) he totally wrecked his first C63 driving through a puddle, the air intake swallowed a heap of water and hydrolocked his car (essentially needs a new engine) ... this is the new spanking car he got to replace it ...

(this was his first car)

·
Registered
204 Posts
mine works perfectly,
i even needed to find somewhere really quick while on the run and she found it

she wants to hear a street number or a street name followed by a suburb or town,
try saying

"Navigate to 50 Collins Street Melbourne"
it will come up with a random location on the screen, then she will (should) ask and confirm
"do you want to go to 50 Collins St Melbourne"

there is a script of pre-programmed commands in the manual somewhere, but you should be able to get it to work ... it may be calibrating to your voice at first, thats a thought ... try a couple more times
Cool, I'll give it a go. I was trying to find a menu section where it would calibrate your voice as it did with my Audi but there was none. You could be right, it would be auto calibrating.

I watched that C63 video before! Cringeworthy. I can imagine with the amount of induction that thing sucks, and when water went in, it was all over red rover!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just checked the O/S version and looks like I'm either a few revisions behind or it's the level of features for a Guilia Base.
Mine is a Base with the Veloce pack.It's a Nov 2016 build and bought it in July 2017 as an ex-demo.

MV 002 007.028
TV 002 007.028

Can anyone verify O/S level per model? If every one is on the same then, that explains the "5 bars" and unable to voice activate the navigation.
I wonder if these guys had the same policy as Mazda had with their infotainment that you had to raise a "case" to get any fixes in place.

As for the "shuffle" issue don't worry my old Mazda 6 had the same problem I had to raise a case and have a module replaced and it took 3 months to arrive even then it was dodgy and was contemplating replacing it with an Android version.

Might have to give Alfa a call to find out. Or if anyone can give me some guidance on how to manage these problems with FCA.....not happy..

1 - 20 of 660 Posts