Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leased a new Giulia back in July, we love the car, its been flawless. There are some things missing on this car I really wish it had however. Am I alone in this? I miss a CD player! I have thousands of CD's and I'm not about to transfer those over to a memory stick so that I can play them in my Giulia. I can't believe that FCA didn't bother to throw in a simple single disc CD player, it would fit exactly below the A/C controls there, where they put an awkward single hole for a USB cable! Perfect spot, bam, CD player right there!
I am in my 50s and lets face it, the fans of Alfa Romeo tend to be older folks who actually can recall owning one of their cars in the mid-90s. (I owned a new 164S in 1995). We aren't so into gadgets like the 20 somethings are these days. So, we'd love to have the option of playing our CD collections.

Also, my power driver seat does not tilt up under the legs. It's a 6-way adjuster, but that doesn't include under my legs. I am 6.4 and need to tilt the seat back a bit, but it doesn't do that. I think if I had driven the car a bit longer on my test drive and noticed no power adjustment for the seat and no CD player, I'm not 100% sure I would have leased it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I can't believe that FCA didn't bother to throw in a simple single disc CD player, it would fit exactly below the A/C controls there, where they put an awkward single hole for a USB cable! Perfect spot, bam, CD player right there!
The space behind the USB port is not empty, an optical drive would not fit there. Seat tilt is only on Lusso package.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
Would all the fifty-somethings who converted their CDs to a digital format playable by a Giulia (and countless other cars and trucks) please raise your hand?

I think the first car I had with a CD player was my 1992 Taurus SHO. I love having thousands of songs at my fingertips (the people who stream have infinitely more) and not having to deal with carrying CDs to and from the house and loading/unloading them.

And just so you don't think that I'm trying to behave like some hip young whippersnapper, I still listen to AM radio and I remember hearing Bob Edward and Red Barber on NPR.

My only complaint about the Ti sport seats is that the adjustable back bolsters don't have a looser/wider setting.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yep, Chipshot, which is why I got a base Giulia with the sport packages.

I had a 325is with the 6 disc magazines...bought a spare magazine and could drive 5 hours, stop and gas up and tinkle, switch magazines (in the trunk) and do another 5 hours! Ripped songs are soooooo much nicer.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would all the fifty-somethings who converted their CDs to a digital format playable by a Giulia (and countless other cars and trucks) please raise your hand?
Hand raised here (fifty-something too).

I've ripped a lot of old vinyl to my MP3 music collection as well. I switched from buying CDs to purchasing albums or single songs on Amazon Music years ago. In the rare event that I buy a CD, the first place it goes is into the PC to get ripped to my collection. Sure it is a PITA to have to grab the USB flash drives from 3 cars to update them periodically, but there is no way (short of CD duplication) to have the same music in 3 cars simultaneously.

I've never even used the CD player in my daily driver in the 3 years that I've owned it (a 2015 SHO, hahh!).

Try ripping a few CDs to a thumb drive and you'll quickly realize the convenience.

·
Registered
343 Posts
50 something here with hand raised! My Giulia is the first car I've owned that actually had a USB port and not having to drag cd's around is awesome!! Hated having to burn my iTunes songs on to a CD so I could play them in my other cars. LOVE having them all at my fingertips.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Hand raised here (fifty-something too).

I've ripped a lot of old vinyl to my MP3 music collection as well. I switched from buying CDs to purchasing albums or single songs on Amazon Music years ago. In the rare event that I buy a CD, the first place it goes is into the PC to get ripped to my collection. Sure it is a PITA to have to grab the USB flash drives from 3 cars to update them periodically, but there is no way (short of CD duplication) to have the same music in 3 cars simultaneously.

I've never even used the CD player in my daily driver in the 3 years that I've owned it (a 2015 SHO, hahh!).
Are you planning on owning both the SHO and a Giulia? I imagine the SHO could be your people hauler.

I also had a 1997 SHO but didn't list it in my signature. The best parts about that car were the seats and the way the engine looked. The SVT Contour was worlds more fun to drive.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I am not missing the cd-player, but I do think there is an icon on the left side of the infotainment center that shows three cds or some sort. I wonder what that is for, unless their navigation comes with a cd. (I don't have nav)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would prefer to still have a CD player but it's not an option so nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you planning on owning both the SHO and a Giulia? I imagine the SHO could be your people hauler.

I also had a 1997 SHO but didn't list it in my signature. The best parts about that car were the seats and the way the engine looked. The SVT Contour was worlds more fun to drive.
Replied with a PM. SVT Contour, yeah! :grin2:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do any new cars have CD players anymore? Combo DVD drives don't count. CDs were the worst. I remember (before digital media was big) having a CD binder full of 100s of CDs that weighed about 53 pounds in my car. Between that monstrosity and the skipping/scratches to deal with, I say good riddance. Now I have all of my music on my phone and I can play anything with a few taps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Window tinting is so ghetto and its what you find on a 2005 Cadillac Seville with non-operational shock absorbers.
LoL spot on. Why would you do this to a beautiful new Giulia?

Reactions: 11593

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all, they are Alfa Romeo sewn logo patches 2x4" which look terrific, made in Italy. Red script letters on black. If you saw these you'd want to buy a set. Second, did I just join a forum to get my ass ripped daily whenever I make a comment or post something? Who the FU*K are you man? I joined this community to have some fun with fellow Alfa owners. Not to be berated, belittled and ripped on a public website you friggin' cretin! Get the F off of here if you're going to be a DICK!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why can’t I get a good cassette player? I loved having to extricate the tape when it gets caught up in the capstans (does anyone still even know what those are?). The sound was even more authentic when the now wrinkled tape played. The accidental special effect of a band singing underwater was phenomenal. Oh those olden days... >:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a stick with 15 CD's loaded onto it. I simply would have liked to have an in dash CD player. Friends hop in with new CD's, or older ones, want to listen in my car, they can't! If you think its odd that I want a CD player in my car, tell that to my wife, inlaws, friends, and everyone else I know who have one in their cars. Not everyone owns brand new cars that have abandoned the older technology. ****, the Giulia is old tech compared to the friggin' Tesla's! I don't want a Tesla, I just wanted the 'option' to play my CD's occasionally. Now for mentioning this, I continue to be berated and made fun of around here? You guys are some pieces of work! I think I may have to sign off. Christ, what horrible people buy Alfa Romeos!

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Well, as it turns out, clearly I am the only person who appreciates a CD player in the car. Since I have over 6000 CD's of artists and another 1200 or so of compilation CD's that I've made combining many artists onto a themed CD, I still miss not having a CD player in the car. Instead I am now just listening to 'bluetooth' radio off my phone, of Radio Subasio, an Italian radio station that plays current and older Italian pop music.
I did not know the seats in the base Giulia did not tilt in the front section. I learned that after I leased this car.
I also forgot to add to my list of things "I miss not having", a power rear window sun shade for the back window. Window tinting is so ghetto and its what you find on a 2005 Cadillac Seville with non-operational shock absorbers. My E55 AMG and my various other BMW models all had those. Along with a great CD player and wonderful power seats.
That's a lot of CDs to burn, so I understand the issue better. May I ask how you decide which ones to take with you to listen to on the road? I'm glad you found a Bluetooth/phone alternative.

While "ghetto" is not a word I would choose to use, I too miss having a rear window sun shade (putting the removable ones in and taking them out all the time is a pain). I would chalk the seats up to poor communication between the dealer salesperson and you. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a ton of mixed music CD's and in the past with previous cars, I'd take a leather pouch with about 20 inside the glovebox. Its simple to pop one in and out, and by the way, they sound better than my stick I have now in the Alfa. Its music that is way too compressed. Reason I said window tint is 'ghetto' is because often people do it themselves or its poor quality tint, so it turns purple or has bubbles in it. I prefer the European classy way to shade the car, window shades. I have had those on many cars over the years, some were power and some are manual. I simply prefer shades over tint. Yes I agree, the sales person did not tell me about various power seat options. My bad for not testing the seats out better before signing. I still love this car. It has many fine attributes.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Small comfort, I know, but those CDs would have to find another home in the Giulia; the glovebox is tiny. And I assume you're aware that upload parameters are adjustable. You need not limit yourself to the defaults (which, unfortunately, seem to apply to music on satellite radio). By the way, do you have the standard audio system or the Harman/Kardon upgrade?

Why someone would apply poor quality window tinting to a Giulia or other fine car is beyond me. Both my Chrysler 300s had power rear shades (and CD changers, which I never used) that were handy on those occasions when my car was parked outside on warm, sunny days.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.