Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Banned
264 Posts
If FCA would only use the UConnect 8.4 that I have in my Pacifica all of these threads and complaints would be resolved!
It was more important to make sure that Chrysler parts were undetectable in this car rather than provide a usable system or decent backup camera...makes you wonder about the folks they hired to run this program...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Of the three vehicles I've had with Sirius XM, I like the way this one works the most. Nav is not as user-friendly as in my Odyssey but it's good enough for my uses (and as good or better than most I've used). My Bluetooth works flawlessly with my iPhone 6. The other stuff I'm not aware of. No complaints (if I cared about voice commands I could complain about that, but I don't). In fact, I've a slight aversion to too much tech in cars and this is about as techie as I'd like. I don't think it's a matter necessarily of how expensive the car is but rather what are the car's (and hence the buyer's) priorities. Apart from the lack of manual, they pretty much nailed my priorities.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of the three vehicles I've had with Sirius XM, I like the way this one works the most. Nav is not as user-friendly as in my Odyssey but it's good enough for my uses (and as good or better than most I've used). My Bluetooth works flawlessly with my iPhone 6. The other stuff I'm not aware of. No complaints (if I cared about voice commands I could complain about that, but I don't). In fact, I've a slight aversion to too much tech in cars and this is about as techie as I'd like. I don't think it's a matter necessarily of how expensive the car is but rather what are the car's (and hence the buyer's) priorities. Apart from the lack of manual, they pretty much nailed my priorities.
At first I thought I would hate the nav, but I really only use it in split screen and I think it's fine, albeit bare bones. Thankfully I don't use voice commands, but something as simple as detecting an iPod or phone should be instantaneous in any 2017 car.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I think "unmitigated disaster" is a bit of a stretch. It's not the best on the market, but it definitely is not a disaster. Although I had issues with mine, and had to battle to get the update, the updated system is quite workable. I like the graphics, and I am now comfortable navigating around the system using the center dial.
The biggest omission in my view is that there is no live traffic. But manufacturers love to hold back on new features so they have something to sell you on in the next model year.

p.s. It is worth noting that the Sirius XM radio on this car has that cool feature that allows you to list favorite artists and songs, and notifies you when either is being played on a satellite station. My Infiniti had that feature, but my Audis did not. I find it to be a great way to enjoy the satellite radio's numerous stations to their fullest.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
It was more important to make sure that Chrysler parts were undetectable in this car rather than provide a usable system or decent backup camera...makes you wonder about the folks they hired to run this program...
Engineers more focused on performance and the driving experience?

I find the backup camera sufficient, and the screen's integration into the instrument panel is outstanding.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I find the backup camera sufficient, and the screen's integration into the instrument panel is outstanding.
I keep hearing this excuse. It is, of course, a great car, fun to drive. A wonderful experience. But 99.9999999999% of people are not driving for fun every single time we get in a car. We drive to work, we sit in traffic, you idle in the car for long periods. Yes, it was made to drive wonderfully, but that isn't sufficient. We aren't talking about a Pagani here.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Exactly

Exactly right! They got all the most important thing about this car right - the driving experience.
I think the backup camera is pretty crappy, but who cares.

As for the nav system, I really like the detailed graphics that come up just before you have to make a turn, or get into a specific lane. It shows exactly how many lanes there are, and which of those lanes go in which direction. It also repeats itself in the center console, and shows you in advance what your next turn or lane change will be. I think it is well done.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
I keep hearing this excuse. It is, of course, a great car, fun to drive. A wonderful experience. But 99.9999999999% of people are not driving for fun every single time we get in a car. We drive to work, we sit in traffic, you idle in the car for long periods. Yes, it was made to drive wonderfully, but that isn't sufficient. We aren't talking about a Pagani here.
I may be an outlier, as I have a short drive and generally listen to news on one of two radio stations or occasionally music on a USB drive. And I take every opportunity to inject some fun.

Have you ever seen a Pagani? That's a cockpit I wouldn't want to deal with during a commute.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Banned
264 Posts

The performance has absolutely NOTHING to do with the infotainment system...they did not focus on the driving experience as the infotainment or lack therefor is a major factor...
Nothing should be sufficient in a 45-50k car...particularity when there are significantly better backup cameras in 20k cars...why you are an apologist for this terrible infotainment system is beyond me...they simple chose not to give a ****...there are other little quirks that are super annoying that tells you they had a group of morons working on the tech infotainment portion of this vehicle, for example, the bumper senors beeping even if the vehicle is in park (really??) and the annoying beep the car makes if the user walks out with the keyfob while the car is running with a passenger inside...

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.