Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Would anyone have a minute to clarify for me how updates are supposed to work? How are we supposed to know if we are up-to-date, or if updates are pending? Are both infotainment system updates and "rest-of-car" updates (i.e. ECU and CDC; is there another electronic brain?) covered in the technical service bulletins? And where can I find TSBs? Is there a central repository?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi all,

Would anyone have a minute to clarify for me how updates are supposed to work? How are we supposed to know if we are up-to-date, or if updates are pending? Are both infotainment system updates and "rest-of-car" updates (i.e. ECU and CDC; is there another electronic brain?) covered in the technical service bulletins? And where can I find TSBs? Is there a central repository?
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7.../12994-technical-service-bulletins-tsb-s.html

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks, I am aware of that thread, and Eric’s comment therein stating TSB info is hard to find. I’m wondering what the primary source of the info in that thread is, and whether there is any other type of update info which may not be covered in a TSB. I also am not terribly interested in perusing the sometimes not terribly relevant comments there when I just want to check for an update, so a simple list, if available, would be nice.

Are TSBs only dealer service department notices? It seems like it might be tough to call my dealer just to ask if there are any relevant updates, ut if that’s the only way to get the info...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
IIRC the source for a lot of that is called "TechAuthority" ... from my understanding the dealer only does the specific update to the car if the owner has encountered symptoms of a problem in the past ... for example, you could not just go to the dealer and get every single update done, because you want to. That is my understanding at least, I haven't been to the dealership since I got the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IIRC the source for a lot of that is called "TechAuthority" ... from my understanding the dealer only does the specific update to the car if the owner has encountered symptoms of a problem in the past ... for example, you could not just go to the dealer and get every single update done, because you want to. That is my understanding at least, I haven't been to the dealership since I got the car.
It depends on the nature of the update or service called for. If it has been designated as an "RRT" (Rapid Response Transmittal) that applies to your vehicle, the dealer should perform the work regardless of whether your vehicle is exhibiting symptoms. Non-RRT updates/services specified in a TSB are performed only if you have symptoms.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It depends on the nature of the update or service called for. If it has been designated as an "RRT" (Rapid Response Transmittal) that applies to your vehicle, the dealer should perform the work regardless of whether your vehicle is exhibiting symptoms. Non-RRT updates/services specified in a TSB are performed only if you have symptoms.
I you call your dealer's service dept. they should be able to give you a list of RRT's applicable to your vehicle based on the VIN number.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional info, folks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I sent a PM to AlfaRomeoCares (forum member) and supplied them with the vehicle info, build date, model, purchase date and VIN number. They promptly sent me a PM with a list of the 5 uncompleted RRT's applicable to my Giulia. They said my dealer would be able to apply these updates and identify any TSB's related to any concerns I was having with my Giulia.

After the RRT's the dealer performed my Giulia runs like a Swiss clock, all the previous minor irritations (rough idle after start up, hesitation and shut down at slow speed once and shut down after refuel once and jerky braking at low speed), were gone, except for one apparently non RRT issue that I will be trying to solve soon (jerking 2-5 times for several seconds in mild accelerations at medium speeds, 30-50 mph). Also they said AR would not update my infotainment software even though I had several issues. I unfortunately don't completely trust my dealer seeing that they said they road tested my Giulia and could not find the jerking issue. However, the in-mileage was exactly the same as the out-mileage? I doubt that they were being completely honest with me, although they seemed to do a very good job on the RRT's.

Alfa Romeo's AlfaRomeoCares have been very helpful.

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts