Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am itching for a new DD, and after having to ditch my 09 cobalt SS turbo, I have wanted another turbo car. My commute to work has a lot of bumper to bumper traffic, so stick shift was just not practical.

I have been looking at the following cars:
WRX
Fusion Sport
ATS 2.0T

The other day, I remembered the Giulia commercial I saw a few weeks go. I figured the price would be outrageous. After looking at the Giulia, I noticed it wasn't THAT outrageous. I was really impressed.

I added all the options I wanted to each car and got the prices below:
WRX - ~$38k
Fusion Sport - ~$36k
ATS - ~$46k
Guilia - ~$50k

The Guilia is most expensive. Has anyone crossed over from any of the other cars or similar cars to the Giulia? What's your feedback?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Welcome!

What are your goals with the vehicle other than being all-wheel drive?

In terms of the total driving experience, I think if you drive the Guilia in a back to back comparison with the Subaru (the sportiest of the listed cars), you'll probably agree that the Giulia offers a more sporty driver involvement and the "feel" of a higher-end luxury car at the same time.

In a direct comparo of the ATS and Giulia, I think you'll find that the Alfa Romeo is much much more responsive and the Cadillac Cue system is something to love or hate (very little ground there).

The WRX will have performance but is more retracted in terms of not being so much a luxo-sedan. The interior appointments of the WRX will noticeably be lacking compared to the Giulia. My guess is that in terms of sport bang-for-the-buck that the WRX will rate the highest in your book as compared to the Giulia (especially after driving the Cobalt SS). Though, the Giulia wins in every other category. The Giulia is the best of all worlds.

The Fusion is a great car and the Ford Sync multi-media system and included creature feature matrix at that price-point is a real bargain in this segment. Though, it lacks what the Italians have achieved: Style, pizzaz and a real "statement". The Fusion is not "sporty" per se and the WRX and Giulia will outperform it across the board.

If you're looking for a best in class sport, luxury, touring car -- the Giulia is the all-around winner.

Drive the Giulia the same day as any of the other cars and I really think you will be seriously impressed. Don't take my word for it. The media outlets have been raving about Alfa Romeo's 1st in class re-entry into the USA market. The BMW used to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine". That moniker has been... retired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

What are your goals with the vehicle other than being all-wheel drive?

In terms of the total driving experience, I think if you drive the Guilia in a back to back comparison with the Subaru (the sportiest of the listed cars), you'll probably agree that the Giulia offers a more sporty driver involvement and the "feel" of a higher-end luxury car at the same time.

In a direct comparo of the ATS and Giulia, I think you'll find that the Alfa Romeo is much much more responsive and the Cadillac Cue system is something to love or hate (very little ground there).

The WRX will have performance but is more retracted in terms of not being so much a luxo-sedan. The interior appointments of the WRX will noticeably be lacking compared to the Giulia. My guess is that in terms of sport bang-for-the-buck that the WRX will rate the highest in your book as compared to the Giulia (especially after driving the Cobalt SS). Though, the Giulia wins in every other category. The Giulia is the best of all worlds.

The Fusion is a great car and the Ford Sync multi-media system and included creature feature matrix at that price-point is a real bargain in this segment. Though, it lacks what the Italians have achieved: Style, pizzaz and a real "statement". The Fusion is not "sporty" per se and the WRX and Giulia will outperform it across the board.

If you're looking for a best in class sport, luxury, touring car -- the Giulia is the all-around winner.

Drive the Giulia the same day as any of the other cars and I really think you will be seriously impressed. Don't take my word for it. The media outlets have been raving about Alfa Romeo's 1st in class re-entry into the USA market. The BMW used to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine". That moniker has been... retired.
Real goal is to have a Daily that won't make me fall asleep when driving.

My current loadout is:
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (auto 2.2L awd)
1996 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 (6 speed v8)
1986 Honda Interceptor VFR750
1992 Dodge Dakota 2wd 4cyl 5speed
2007 Subaru Outback (auto 2.5l N/A, current "DD" till I sell it)

I went from a 2009 Pontiac G5 auto N/a to the 2009 Cobalt SS. The cobalt was a BLAST to drive, but suffers from the junky interior of low end Chevrolet cars, and wrong wheel drive.

I want AWD just so if it gets bad, my GF can take my wagon and I can take my daily. Plus, I already have a RWD toy. I want my trans am to be my RWD car. AWD may help in nasty commutes, as it has in my subarus.

Thanks for the reviews. I am definitely going to try to drive each one all the same time, probably do the Giulia last.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
There are many YouTube videos out there with reviews of the latest Alfa Romeo's if you want to build the anticipation.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am driving a 2015 ATS with the 3.6L v6 and the fancy kona brown leather interior. I have driven my share of Cadillacs and want something new. So, my next car will probably be a Giulia Ti. I know everyone compares the Giulia to the 3-series and the A4, but the ATS is really the closest thing there is out there. They both take corners as if they were on rails and handle like go karts. For the same price as your Giulia, you can get a premium performance ATS with the v6, and really it's a coin flip as to which is better in my opinion. They are both good looking cars inside and out. The Giulia is better looking on the outside. The Cadillac has the nicer interior. Trust me, with the upgraded leather interior, the Cadillac is nicer, plus I prefer the Caddy's black headliner to the Giulia's grey. Everyone has strong opinions about CUE and the black center stack without buttons. I think it looks beautiful when there are no fingerprints, and it takes some getting used to. However, it has been a solid performer -- except when the touch screen went on the fritz and started giving me crazy phantom touches, but it was under warranty and was replaced and is now good as new. As I enter the last few months of my ATS lease and start to contemplate a replacement, I have learned to appreciate it more. It really is a great underappreciated car.

That said, the Giulia is also a great driving car, is beautiful, and has those oh so sexy wheels with the 19" sport package. It also has the mystique or cultural cache of being an exotic, which the Cadillac will never have. You could not go wrong with either of those two.

Reactions: Thor294

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If you're going to test drive cars I would throw in the Subaru STi and the focus RS in the mix......

Reactions: Thor294 and Max

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If you're going to test drive cars I would throw in the Subaru STi and the focus RS in the mix......
+1 on Focus but I can never buy any car made in Mexico after numerous Mexican-built VWs in the family. Highly recommend the Audi S3 to be added to that list...only other car I'd consider against the Giulia but it is too small for me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am driving a 2015 ATS with the 3.6L v6 and the fancy kona brown leather interior. I have driven my share of Cadillacs and want something new. So, my next car will probably be a Giulia Ti. I know everyone compares the Giulia to the 3-series and the A4, but the ATS is really the closest thing there is out there. They both take corners as if they were on rails and handle like go karts. For the same price as your Giulia, you can get a premium performance ATS with the v6, and really it's a coin flip as to which is better in my opinion. They are both good looking cars inside and out. The Giulia is better looking on the outside. The Cadillac has the nicer interior. Trust me, with the upgraded leather interior, the Cadillac is nicer, plus I prefer the Caddy's black headliner to the Giulia's grey. Everyone has strong opinions about CUE and the black center stack without buttons. I think it looks beautiful when there are no fingerprints, and it takes some getting used to. However, it has been a solid performer -- except when the touch screen went on the fritz and started giving me crazy phantom touches, but it was under warranty and was replaced and is now good as new. As I enter the last few months of my ATS lease and start to contemplate a replacement, I have learned to appreciate it more. It really is a great underappreciated car.

That said, the Giulia is also a great driving car, is beautiful, and has those oh so sexy wheels with the 19" sport package. It also has the mystique or cultural cache of being an exotic, which the Cadillac will never have. You could not go wrong with either of those two.
Good to hear a real perspective on the Caddillacs. I looked at an ATS about 4 months ago, and really loved the interior. the turbo 4 had good pickup with the A8 transmission. I think at this point its between the ATS and the Giulia.

I hear everywhere the caddy is such a great drive. My problem is that I cannot make sense of the look. It's way to much boxy.
I think the newer ones look better with the reaching LED headlights up the hood, much better than the pre-facelift ones.

Due to my commute to work, daily stick shift is obnoxious, which is why I ditched the cobalt SS. My trans am is a 6 speed so I'll get to row gears when I want to ;)

The RS is pretty badass though.

+1 on Focus but I can never buy any car made in Mexico after numerous Mexican-built VWs in the family. Highly recommend the Audi S3 to be added to that list...only other car I'd consider against the Giulia but it is too small for me
I was thinking S3, but ugh, I have fixed so many of my family/friends audis/VW I do not want one lol

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Forgot about the S3, yes worth test driving, nice little tight car..... and they have come a long way from the old audi that would break down all the time....

·
Registered
18 Posts
What about the 2018 Audi S4? It has a bit more room than the Giulia and is 350 hp for only a few grand more. I prefer the styling of the Giulia and the handling but the S4 was a fun drive too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The audi would have to be godlike if I were to purchase it. I have fixed my sister's 05 A4 1.8T so many times.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Forgot about the S3, yes worth test driving, nice little tight car..... and they have come a long way from the old audi that would break down all the time....
Interesting how this is the 2nd time my whole life I have heard something like that, both times on this (nonetheless, Alfa Romeo, lol) forum. My dad has raced and owned dozens of Audis since the 1980s and by far they are probably some of the best cars ... just got to maintain them like everything else... But that being said I am not sure about any Audi built before mid-1980s, maybe they weren't so good

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome Thor294 :)

It's been said before and I will say it again. Test drive the Giulia Ti.

Check into the 'Ti Lusso Package' and the 'Ti Performance Package'. The Lusso (luxury) has nice leather seats and real wood trim. The 'Ti Performance Package' (not to be confused with '19 Inch Performance Package') has paddle shifters, LSD and active suspension.

We put about 10 miles on a Ti and were sold. But, it didn't take much to sell me. My dad's an old Alfa guy from way back when. I've driven his older Alfas enough to know how they compare to other cars of that era and class. I've been driving my Alfa 4C daily for the last two years as well. If you want real performance, check out the 4C.

I've had the opportunity to drive four different Giulias now, including the Quad as well as a Ti Q2. Oh yeah. Each one is that much better than the previous.

But, don't take my word for it, go test drive one as well as the other cars that your interested in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts