Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touch up paint for the Giulia's Dark 5-Hole wheels is one of the most common requests we get from our customers. Although we stock all colors of official Alfa/MOPAR touch up paints for the bodywork, paint for the wheels is just something that Alfa has never released.

We worked with a professional paint vendor that supplies many high-end body shops. They spent a considerable amount of time color matching and custom blending a formula for us, and we are happy to finally have this available for our customers! We are really pleased with the color match we've been able to achieve, and it is probably the best result possible with a touch up paint considering the original wheel finish is done with a multi-stage process.

We did all of our color matching and testing using new (fresh out of the box) or nearly new wheel sets. I did notice that there is some very slight color variation on wheels that have been in service for a while due to UV exposure and possibly different chemicals used in wheel cleaning. This is the only reason I am not stating this is an EXACT color match.

The 2 oz. size is actually a lot of paint for wheel touch up, and should repair about 10 larger curb shots or countless small chips and knicks.

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I was testing this paint, I realized a few things about the application process I can share, and also a few things about Alfa's wheels.

On application, the first thing to note is that it's imperative that you shake this paint immediately before application. The metallic flecks settle out fairly quickly and the paint will look darker than it should if you let that happen. Secondly the best technique for scratch repair is to apply 2 thin coats rather than one thick one. For small chips or scratches dabbing gives the best result. For a larger area you can use the brush applicator but you will need to work carefully to avoid brush marks.

Now, regarding Alfa's wheel colors - OF COURSE they are not the same for all of the different styles of wheels. This is one of the advantages of being able to check out all of the wheels in the same place, under the same lighting conditions. I believe this touch up paint would work OK for any of the "Dark" wheels but would not be an exact match for the other styles. I will outline the differences below and let you draw your own conclusions:

Giulia and Giulia QV Dark 5-Hole Wheels: These are the wheels this touch up paint was designed for. They are painted with a multi-stage process consisting of a black base layer with a very light coat of metallic silver sprayed over the top. The metallic flecks are very fine and it doesn't appear there is a clear coat.

Giulia QV Forged "Tecnico" Wheels: These wheels are a slightly different shade (they have a slight bronze tint to them) and are a little darker. They also appear to be a traditional base + clear coat type of finish.

4C Dark 5-Hole Wheels: These are very close in color to the Giulia 5-Hole wheels, but the metallic flecks are larger/more aggressive. This wheel is also a traditional base + clear coat finish.

·
Registered
2018 AR Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Alfa White / Tan, Performance Package
58 Posts
Dang it! Just bought some a couple of weeks ago from another vendor. If the product I bought is not a close match, then I’ll give yours a shot.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hint. A good, cheap "paint brush" for dabbing small areas is a paper match (stick). When torn with aplomb, the fibers at the bottom hold and apply just the right amount of paint.

Reactions: -ds-

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
@JoeCab do you know if the paint is the same for these OE Giulia wheels? I believe that they are called DARK DOUBLE Y SPOKE. Thanks, Andy IMG_4959[1].JPG

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
While I was testing this paint, I realized a few things about the application process I can share, and also a few things about Alfa's wheels.

On application, the first thing to note is that it's imperative that you shake this paint immediately before application. The metallic flecks settle out fairly quickly and the paint will look darker than it should if you let that happen. Secondly the best technique for scratch repair is to apply 2 thin coats rather than one thick one. For small chips or scratches dabbing gives the best result. For a larger area you can use the brush applicator but you will need to work carefully to avoid brush marks.

Now, regarding Alfa's wheel colors - OF COURSE they are not the same for all of the different styles of wheels. This is one of the advantages of being able to check out all of the wheels in the same place, under the same lighting conditions. I believe this touch up paint would work OK for any of the "Dark" wheels but would not be an exact match for the other styles. I will outline the differences below and let you draw your own conclusions:

Giulia and Giulia QV Dark 5-Hole Wheels: These are the wheels this touch up paint was designed for. They are painted with a multi-stage process consisting of a black base layer with a very light coat of metallic silver sprayed over the top. The metallic flecks are very fine and it doesn't appear there is a clear coat.

Giulia QV Forged "Tecnico" Wheels: These wheels are a slightly different shade (they have a slight bronze tint to them) and are a little darker. They also appear to be a traditional base + clear coat type of finish.

4C Dark 5-Hole Wheels: These are very close in color to the Giulia 5-Hole wheels, but the metallic flecks are larger/more aggressive. This wheel is also a traditional base + clear coat finish.
@JoeCab, thanks for sharing. Question: Do you have the official industry standard Pantone color codes and finishing style (gloss, semi-gloss, matte, etc) for the Giulia and Giulia QV Dark 5-Hole Wheels, Giulia QV Tecnico Wheels, Giulia and Giulia QV Bright 5-Hole Wheels, Giulia QV Tecnico Wheels?.

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@JoeCab do you know if the paint is the same for these OE Giulia wheels? I believe that they are called DARK DOUBLE Y SPOKE. Thanks, Andy View attachment 107245
I don't have any of the Y-spoke wheels here to test out. Send me a PM and I can send you a small painted test strip of the touchup paint.

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@JoeCab, thanks for sharing. Question: Do you have the official industry standard Pantone color codes and finishing style (gloss, semi-gloss, matte, etc) for the Giulia and Giulia QV Dark 5-Hole Wheels, Giulia QV Tecnico Wheels, Giulia and Giulia QV Bright 5-Hole Wheels, Giulia QV Tecnico Wheels?.
Giuliano,

Although I have thousands of dollars in Pantone guides for printing and online colors, we don't have their automotive paint system, sorry.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,682 Posts
This is really useful and not a huge outlay at $13 but I can't justify $9 shipping. I'll have to wait until I can combine an order or holiday free shipping discounts 🤑

·
Registered
316 Posts
too late for me, I used the #035 someone else recommended which was a very close match, but my damage was almost exclusively on the edge.

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just another useful tip to pass along:

Because the 5-hole wheels are a multi-stage paint without a clear coat, you should never aggressively polish or sand them. It's very easy to burn through the thin silver outer layer and expose the black paint underneath.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,682 Posts
Just another useful tip to pass along:

Because the 5-hole wheels are a multi-stage paint without a clear coat, you should never aggressively polish or sand them. It's very easy to burn through the thin silver outer layer and expose the black paint underneath.
Are you suggesting then that by sanding off the grey "dark" color that we could end up with true black wheels?

All the rash on my wheels reveals silver under the dark grey; but I would love black wheels

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you suggesting then that by sanding off the grey "dark" color that we could end up with true black wheels?

All the rash on my wheels reveals silver under the dark grey; but I would love black wheels
I think it is possible, but it probably wouldn't be a very even color or very durable.

The silver you are seeing is probably the base alloy - i.e. the curb scratches have gone all the way through both layers of paint to the metal of the wheel below.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Veloce Ti, 2019, Carbon Package & Black Interior & Ti Sport Performance Package.
1 Posts
Touch up paint for the Giulia's Dark 5-Hole wheels is one of the most common requests we get from our customers. Although we stock all colors of official Alfa/MOPAR touch up paints for the bodywork, paint for the wheels is just something that Alfa has never released.

We worked with a professional paint vendor that supplies many high-end body shops. They spent a considerable amount of time color matching and custom blending a formula for us, and we are happy to finally have this available for our customers! We are really pleased with the color match we've been able to achieve, and it is probably the best result possible with a touch up paint considering the original wheel finish is done with a multi-stage process.

We did all of our color matching and testing using new (fresh out of the box) or nearly new wheel sets. I did notice that there is some very slight color variation on wheels that have been in service for a while due to UV exposure and possibly different chemicals used in wheel cleaning. This is the only reason I am not stating this is an EXACT color match.

The 2 oz. size is actually a lot of paint for wheel touch up, and should repair about 10 larger curb shots or countless small chips and knicks.

View attachment 107234 View attachment 107235 View attachment 107236

View attachment 107234 View attachment 107235 View attachment 107236
Placed an order yesterday, but my order was cancelled. Is this product still in stock?

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Placed an order yesterday, but my order was cancelled. Is this product still in stock?
We have plenty of the touch up paint in stock.

We do have some restrictions on sending orders to the UK currently, I sent you a PM with details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts