Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Our dealership is interested in fielding a race team for the 24 hours of lemons. We're hoping to compete at Pittsburgh this year (April 2021). As such we are in need of an Alfa (preferably running though not required) which we can purchase for no more than $500 because of the regulations for this series. This is a fairly tall order, but we really want to represent Alfa at the race(s). Any help or leads we can get from the community is greatly appreciated!

Feel free to email me with leads on cars, about sponsorship opportunities, or other questions at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
444 Posts
I don't have a car for you, but I've run lemons for the past 11 years, even have 3 class wins. If you have any questions or need some advice feel free to ask.

·
Registered
789 Posts
DFL is the only true winner at the 24HoL! (that is the last official lap completing team/car)

Lemons is a HOOT! What's your team RL?

·
Registered
444 Posts
DFL is the only true winner at the 24HoL! (that is the last official lap completing team/car)

Lemons is a HOOT! What's your team RL?
Team Farfrumwinnin

Reactions: mtb.ck and AlfaOhio

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a car for you, but I've run lemons for the past 11 years, even have 3 class wins. If you have any questions or need some advice feel free to ask.
Realistically what do you think we're looking at for total investment starting from scratch?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
678 Posts
I know a guy who ran lemons with an alfa 164. They called it Milano and had a pepperidge farms cookie on the roof. In california. I think they parked it in recent years.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
678 Posts
Another friend of mine ran lemons, east coast, and had 4 cars and they would just swap cars and parts. once you invest, the parts you replace dont have the same cost limits. I dont know much about the series but you're not stuck with a $500 limit

·
Registered
444 Posts
Realistically what do you think we're looking at for total investment starting from scratch?
Minimum $4000, probably more.

Keep in mind while the car is $500, the things you need plus the things you want to spend money on are not included in that $500

I'm talking rollcage ($2500 installed unless you have a good welder on your team who can follow the guidelines to a T), FIA/SFI race seat ($750), 5 point harness ($200+), Fire system ($400). Thats just the big stuff, on top of that you want gauges (at least a couple better than stock ones - coolant temp, oil pressure, oil temp, unless you KNOW the stock ones work well and are fast) wheels, tires, brakes, exhaust.

A 164 would be tough to run these days, parts are hard to find... trust me. A GTV or Milano are far more common. Or a Spyder but those can be tricky.

Another thing to keep in mind is $500 is a guideline. If you show up with ANY Alfa Romeo they will look the other way if you happen to change the timing belt, put in a new water pump, wheel bearings, etc. And I highly recommend those PM type things because anything that can go wrong will go wrong on the track. The reality is even doing those things your chances of having an Alfa be reliable enough out there are low. Some friends of mine run a Milano out here. Car is fast as heck, sounds beautiful, and has come close to winning a bunch of times. Except it eats transmissions, or other random parts. The car finally just wore out a year or so ago, they are building a GTV now I think.

Reactions: AlfaOhio

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone, we're looking at a 1977 Spider... we're slightly worried that it isn't fast enough any tips or tricks to increase top end speed while staying in (or near) budget?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks to everyone, we're looking at a 1977 Spider... we're slightly worried that it isn't fast enough any tips or tricks to increase top end speed while staying in (or near) budget?
Good choice. TBH do whatever the heck you want to the motor, they probably won't care because again its an old Alfa, odds are high of it blowing up. Theres a fairly famous picture of a 70's Spyder at a Lemons race launching a rod out of the hood. Trust me when I say its definitely not to slow. You are NOT going to win overall with it, but a huge part of lemons is just staying out on track, everyone breaks and makes mistakes. Even with the slowest car if you keep your nose clean and the car running you can finish in the top 20. There are plenty of slower cars there too.

Anyway your focus for your early race(s) should be survival. Once you get that down then you start trying to figure out how to make the car finish higher. Could be suspension, or a fuel cell so you can do 4 hour stints (works well for me!) which saves you 5 minutes of pitstop which is HUGE, or maybe build up the motor (or swap in one from like a Honda).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts