Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lifetime of using jacks and jack stands, I finally accepted that this isn't realistic on modern cars as there are rarely good places to place a jack stand, so after discovering that the BL-7000-EXT was no longer made, I learned that the replacement model (7000TL) was about to release so I put in a pre-order. Flash forward a week and I have my unit. Flash forward another 2 weeks and I finally hooked it up and put it to use!

Why did I go with the 7,000lb unit? Because my wife's SUV is a porky tank and when it's filled up with gas, it's probably 5,200-5,300 lbs. While I don't doubt the 5,000lb unit would have survived, I figured the extra piece of mind was work a few extra bucks. Specs are very close to the model it replaces. With a maximum of 66" of lift point spread, the Giulia Quad BARELY fits. After 20 minutes of paranoid jockeying of positions, I got an even "2/3rds coverage" on both the front and rear lift points. Installation and operation was a breeze and it's a big time saver even spending so much time getting it positioned perfectly. Oh, I almost forgot the most important spec change - the old model provided a maximum of 21" of lift whereas the TL give a full 24" of lift. (Insert "who wouldn't want an extra 3 inches" joke here)

I used it this morning to change my front brake pads. While they still had plenty of thickness, they were starting to squeal enough that it was embarrassing pulling up to a stop light. When I removed them, I found that they had an odd appearance like they had started to melt, spread out a little, and cooled. I swapped in a set of Hawk 5.0s based on reading a bunch of reviews.

And as a reward for getting this far, I give you a picture of an Alfa in it's natural habitat:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

(I only lifted to the half-way point as it was plenty high for brake pads)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Use them crosswise instead of lengthwise... Will work much better (assuming you aren't blocking access to something)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
80 Posts
How long did it take you to get your QuickJack from the time you ordered it? I ordered the BL-5000EXT back in July and I still have not got it. :( Supposed to have shipped mid September. I'm just getting the run around with them right now. First time I contacted them they said it was on ship and on its way. Doesn't look like that was true. I know there are a lot of supply chain issues right now, but super frustrating that they can't give me an ETA that is reasonably close.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
I use Jackpoint Jackstands which allow you to jack up the car, then shove in a jackstand at the point where your jacked. I like the apparent security of a solid jackstand. The downside being that it takes a fair amount of time to jack up 4 corners.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@lockem - I strongly considered the Jackpoint Jackstands. My current floor jack is too wide to fit under them, so I'd have been purchasing that as well. While the QuickJack is more expensive, lazy beat out responsible and the rest is history.

@EricW - Ouch. For me, from phone call order to sitting in my garage - I ordered on 9/20 and received it on 9/25. I don't know if a 5000TL replaced the BL-5000EXT, but I know they told me they had 7000TLs sitting in warehouses in 2 states just waiting to go. Mine shipped from Theodore Alabama.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and... just realized I'm an idiot. The reason the lift points barely reach is because I didn't actually get the 7000TLX. I received and accepted a quote on a 7000TL and didn't realize it at the time! That said, given that the TLX is a 5" longer frame, I'd measure twice to see if it would fit between the tires. The TL was already a tight-ish fit.

·
Registered
270 Posts
How long did it take you to get your QuickJack from the time you ordered it? I ordered the BL-5000EXT back in July and I still have not got it. :( Supposed to have shipped mid September. I'm just getting the run around with them right now. First time I contacted them they said it was on ship and on its way. Doesn't look like that was true. I know there are a lot of supply chain issues right now, but super frustrating that they can't give me an ETA that is reasonably close.
I ordered my in June. Kept getting delays. I started chatting with them and they offered to ship me the new 500TLX. Got it just the other day.

·
Registered
2019 Gulia QV
39 Posts
I have the older version 7000SLX which is fine for my other cars but for the Giulia it is not long enough. So I bought the extensions and now it makes it to tall to fit under the car with the rubber blocks in place and there is not enough room to use them once the quick jack is under the car. Thought about shaving down the rubber blocks or use a piece of 2x4.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
444 Posts
I have an older pair of 5000SLX. Love them for everything but I couldn't exactly get them in a spot on my QV that I felt safe lifting them. Will have to try them sideways one day. I was going to buy the extensions but it sounds like they will make it too thick to fit.

I put a 2 post lift in my garage last month so now my Quickjacks will stick to track duty with my race car.

Reactions: Lunnzz19
1 - 11 of 11 Posts