Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally bought a torque wrench and socket (thin walled with extension) I need a torque wrench?

I properly set the torque (to 95 ft lb), tightened the screw on the bottom of the wrench, and then proceeded to try and tighten my lug nuts. They didn't rotate even a 10th of a degree. I have the switch on the wrench set properly so that I'm tightening clockwise, but I just can't get it to tighten the nut, let alone hear the click that I've reached 95 ft lb.

I lowered the torque to 30 and tried again just as a test, and I was able to get the wrench to click. But at 95, it didn't. I'm a strong guy and I'm applying what I think is a decent amount of force at 95, but I don't want to force it, as the videos I saw online while trying to resolve this appear to show that it is effortless to tighten to 90.

Is it possible that my dealer overtightened my lug nuts and so I'm unable to get them to move when set at 95 (because the force is too great), but can get them to move when set at 30 (because the force required is much less)?
Or perhaps I received a defective torque wrench?
Or, as the title of this thread says, am I an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing? 馃ぃ

Premium Member
Strange.. If they were over tightened.. Your torque wrench would click easily.
This exactly. I find that dealers forget to torque or overtighten them. My last visit, I couldn't get them loose with a breaker bar no matter what I tried. I ended up bouncing on the bar (180lbs). On the third bounce I got them loose, at the expensive of a small chip! I'm looking into silicone covered/dipped sockets now since this is fairly common no matter what dealer I use. Even at 130lbs it's pretty easy to get them loose with a breaker bar, no idea what they used.

Registered
are you sure 95 ft/lb is right value? don't have torque specs on me but looks a bit too high.

PS you can always test your torque wrench in vice. of course if you have one.

Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
Defective torque wrench? With the car on the ground a healthy adult male should not have any trouble reaching 95ft-lbs with a 3/8 drive torque wrench or larger. For a 3/8 drive wrench that means applying 60 pounds of force or so to the handle. Almost anybody can apply that much downward force. Most people can apply that much upward force. If you position the wrench straight up and try a sideways movement it is a whole lot harder.

Registered
Snap-On tool trucks have a device that is used to test the accuracy of torque wrenches. You may have to pay a fee to test your, non Snap-On tool. I would remove all the wheel bolts, clean the threads (male and female), wheel and hub faces, and reassemble with a thin coating of Anti-Seize paste on the bolt threads. Install bolts and tighten to less than spec. Then set torque wrench to 90 ft. lbs. and tighten in a star pattern. May the debate begin!

Reactions: MDriver

Registered
ease of applying the torque also depends on length of the lever of course (just stating the obvious ;) )
Yes this. My torque wrench for my wheels is about 2 feet long. If never tried it with anything other than that. Also some of the torque wrenches are confusing with how you set them. At least for me it is because I only use it so often so make sure it's set correctly.

Registered
did you buy the torque wrench online??
You can also go to a Pep Boys or maybe Autozone, they can see if the torque wrench is calibrated properly.
Did Greenwich mess with your rims last?? Sometimes these guys use that impact gun like a toy

Registered
It sounds like you are afraid to mule the wrench. Why not try this...You said that at 30, it clicked. Why not work your way up in 10lb increments? The other thing to try is to first loosen a lug nut then re-torque. And/or try the wrench on another vehicle.

Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
Another vote here for the silicone dipped sockets, by the way.

Registered
are you sure 95 ft/lb is right value? don't have torque specs on me but looks a bit too high.

90 ft/lb is the recommended

As far as the OP鈥檚 issue, how long is the torque wrench? I have a long armed one and it鈥檚 pretty easy to hit the mark, maybe use a breaker bar to extend it?

Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Strange.. If they were over tightened.. Your torque wrench would click easily.
This exactly. I find that dealers forget to torque or overtighten them. My last visit, I couldn't get them loose with a breaker bar no matter what I tried. I ended up bouncing on the bar (180lbs). On the third bounce I got them loose, at the expensive of a small chip! I'm looking into silicone covered/dipped sockets now since this is fairly common no matter what dealer I use. Even at 130lbs it's pretty easy to get them loose with a breaker bar, no idea what they used.
This is my thought exactly. If they did overtighten, then if I'm able to get the click at 30, I should be able to get it at 95

90 ft/lb is the recommended

As far as the OP鈥檚 issue, how long is the torque wrench? I have a long armed one and it鈥檚 pretty easy to hit the mark, maybe use a breaker bar to extend it?
I searched the forum and consensus was split between 90 and 95. I tried to check the manual but couldn't find anything.

When I tourque them at 90-100lbs there is considerable forces needed. I think u might need more force tightens it. It reli isn't that effortless.
ease of applying the torque also depends on length of the lever of course (just stating the obvious ;) )
Defective torque wrench? With the car on the ground a healthy adult male should not have any trouble reaching 95ft-lbs with a 3/8 drive torque wrench or larger. For a 3/8 drive wrench that means applying 60 pounds of force or so to the handle. Almost anybody can apply that much downward force. Most people can apply that much upward force. If you position the wrench straight up and try a sideways movement it is a whole lot harder.
Yes this. My torque wrench for my wheels is about 2 feet long. If never tried it with anything other than that. Also some of the torque wrenches are confusing with how you set them. At least for me it is because I only use it so often so make sure it's set correctly.
The handle is 12 inches and the overall length is 14 inches
I start with the wrench at roughly a 30 degree angle from the horizontal but I'm not able to get it to rotate at all. I will try again at a shallower angle

Snap-On tool trucks have a device that is used to test the accuracy of torque wrenches. You may have to pay a fee to test your, non Snap-On tool. I would remove all the wheel bolts, clean the threads (male and female), wheel and hub faces, and reassemble with a thin coating of Anti-Seize paste on the bolt threads. Install bolts and tighten to less than spec. Then set torque wrench to 90 ft. lbs. and tighten in a star pattern. May the debate begin!
It sounds like you are afraid to mule the wrench. Why not try this...You said that at 30, it clicked. Why not work your way up in 10lb increments? The other thing to try is to first loosen a lug nut then re-torque. And/or try the wrench on another vehicle.
I don't have anything to test the calibration unfortunately, nor do I have another vehicle, but I'm going to try again in 10 ft lb increments to see if the force I'm exerting is the issue

did you buy the torque wrench online??
You can also go to a Pep Boys or maybe Autozone, they can see if the torque wrench is calibrated properly.
Did Greenwich mess with your rims last?? Sometimes these guys use that impact gun like a toy
Another vote here for the silicone dipped sockets, by the way.
I bought from Amazon what was a recommend (several websites) wrench, and then a socket a buddy of mine uses on his gt4 (different size of course). I just tried looking for silicone dipped sockets but don't think I was finding them.

I thought about trying to loosen one to then torque back to spec, but my concern is that if the dealer did overtighten and I'm not currently able to get the click at 95, then I don't feel confident that if I were to loosen them, that I could then tighten them back to 95. But I'm going to test by increasing my force and seeing what happens.

Registered
IMO, the wrench is too short. Return it. You need one closer to 24" long. Also, you cannot put a pipe (or "breaker bar") on the end of a torque wrench to increase leverage. It would then, not be accurate.

Registered
This is my thought exactly. If they did overtighten, then if I'm able to get the click at 30, I should be able to get it at 95

I searched the forum and consensus was split between 90 and 95. I tried to check the manual but couldn't find anything.

I start with the wrench at roughly a 30 degree angle from the horizontal but I'm not able to get it to rotate at all. I will try again at a shallower angle

I don't have anything to test the calibration unfortunately, nor do I have another vehicle, but I'm going to try again in 10 ft lb increments to see if the force I'm exerting is the issue

I bought from Amazon what was a recommend (several websites) wrench, and then a socket a buddy of mine uses on his gt4 (different size of course). I just tried looking for silicone dipped sockets but don't think I was finding them.

I thought about trying to loosen one to then torque back to spec, but my concern is that if the dealer did overtighten and I'm not currently able to get the click at 95, then I don't feel confident that if I were to loosen them, that I could then tighten them back to 95. But I'm going to test by increasing my force and seeing what happens.
12" is short for a tourque wrench. No wo Der u wouldn't get it to click

Registered
My bet is that all the 20 lug nuts are overtightened above 100 ft/lb, as usual. Normally (there are exceptions) they don't care and they feel safer to overtight. I can't understand why you can't make the wrench click, if the nuts don't move after you apply force and it's set at 95. I think it may be a defective wrench.

Registered
It sounds like your torque wrench is too short. I鈥檇 say that you want it to be at least 18鈥 if not 2鈥 long.

And you don鈥檛 need to have it professionally calibrated. Search on YouTube, and you鈥檒l find an easy way to do it yourself with a vise and some weights.

Reactions: Pegasi

Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
Now you made me go out and look: My Craftsman 3/8 drive torque wrench measures 13 inches from drive to handle center. The case is much longer. Anyway, unless you are horse jockey size if you put your weight on it you will have no trouble getting to 95 ft-lbs. You could try 50, 70 and 90 ft-lbs to get a feel for the effort required at various torque levels.

Free lifetime calibration checks at your Craftsman* dealer (Lowes in my case).
3/8 drive is a tradeoff. It does not go to high torque settings, but it is calibrated for low torque settings unlike a 1/2 drive wrench.

Besides, high capacity torque wrenches (IIRC lug bolts on my Backhoe are 250ft-lbs) are really $$$$. Most folks just use an impact wrench...

At least these click type torque wrenches are a huge improvement over old school dial wrenches. With the dial wrench you had to be able to look straight down on the dial to avoid parallax, and that made it extremely difficult to apply a lot of force to the wrench handle at the same time.

And if nobody has said this yet: never use a torque wrench to loosen fasteners. If the fastener "snaps" when it lets go (normal for fasteners that are torqued to stretch, but also an issue for corroded fasteners) it can damage the wrench (been there, done that).

* FWIW: Craftsman lifetime warranty on hand tools only applies for as long as the tool is still made. Bring in a discontinued old broken tool and they do not allow "upgrades" to the new and improved model.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts