Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Illinois - Muffler Delete Shop

Looking for a good reputable shop where they performed a muffler delete. Please post the shop and what you paid. I'm looking for a good shop and I really don't have any references. If I can avoid it, I would prefer not to pick a shop blindly. If you are in Wisconsin near the Illinois border, this is fine as well. The same goes for Indiana/Michigan if it's near the Illinois border.

Thanks in advance all!

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, nobody in Illinois with custom mod on exhaust?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You want good, call the local hod rod club and ask who does their work.

Reactions: 16634 and Bender

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone can help me because my googling and search is not working out well with an answer. Attached is what I removed. The question is, was the resonator removed as well or is that somewhere else? I feel stupid. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
i did mine full straightpipe from downpipe to 4 exit quad exhaust in bolingbrook "amerimex muffler shop" costed me around 500$ i think

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Anyone can help me because my googling and search is not working out well with an answer. Attached is what I removed. The question is, was the resonator removed as well or is that somewhere else? I feel stupid. Thanks in advance.
You have removed the “axle back” section. The small resonator is located just before the slip joint where the axle back section you removed is located. You now have a muffler delete with the resonator remaining in place. This is likely to mitigate some of the reported “drone” that full cat-back systems have sometimes reported.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in Porter county in Indiana. One of the only two counties in the state that requires emission testing. So, it is a big no-no for me to alter the exhaust. Bummer!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in Porter county in Indiana. One of the only two counties in the state that requires emission testing. So, it is a big no-no for me to alter the exhaust. Bummer!
Changing anything after the cats has absolutely zero effect on emissions....you can therefore change to full aftermarket catback exhaust or even go straight pipes and you will pass with flying colors

·
Registered
407 Posts
Resonator Delete won't add much sound at all, even if it did, I wouldn't want it because this setup already drones a little bit under heavy load... not to mention the amount of money saved with just a simple axle-back.

No drone at all from your current setup, @Dorifto?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Wrong. For a OBDII equipped vehicle the check consists of a OBDII check and a gas cap pressure check. The removal of the muffler and/or resonator makes no difference to the emissions equipment and will set no codes. There is no visual inspection, and even if there was, the muffler is not part of the emissions equipment. Source, Indiana Clean Air Test site.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Cat back retains same emission...

... output as stock Giulia. If the mod itself and increased sonics are not a fail, the output gas is virtually identical to unmodified tailpipe measurements, because the catalyst and O2 sensors remain as were. Slight reduction in back pressure, post turbo, downpipe and catalyst will have nearly zero impact.

Removing the cat, would be a dealbreaker though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Resonator Delete won't add much sound at all, even if it did, I wouldn't want it because this setup already drones a little bit under heavy load... not to mention the amount of money saved with just a simple axle-back.

No drone at all from your current setup, @Dorifto?
there is some drone, but it never bothered me or my passangers even on long trips from 3-8hours

·
Registered
407 Posts
there is some drone, but it never bothered me or my passangers even on long trips from 3-8hours
yeah, same goes for my setup. would be interested to hear yours in person though.

tbh I don't think it was until the tips went on that the drone became noticeable... not sure if you experimented with yours before the quad tip install, but that's just what I seemed to conclude.
either way... totally worth it :wink2:

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a tiny little drone around the 3,500 mark. It has definitely settled well after 1,000 miles and is barely noticeable unless you end up hovering that RPM for a long period. To be honest, it has grew on me.

Is it me or these custom exhausts sometimes sound as if you have hole in it? Think back to your first beater :) The bark on aggressive gear changes though are just stupid amazing!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a tiny little drone around the 3,500 mark. It has definitely settled well after 1,000 miles and is barely noticeable unless you end up hovering that RPM for a long period. To be honest, it has grew on me.

Is it me or these custom exhausts sometimes sound as if you have hole in it? Think back to your first beater :) The bark on aggressive gear changes though are just stupid amazing!
everybody loves the bark between shifts lol, oh and btw try to shift at around 4k on full boost, and while doing that drop a accelerator, most noticable from 2 to 3 gear shift, my car pops a loud bang from time to time just have to time it right :grin2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts