Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the 4C and went to my dealer with my wife to look into both cars. They had a mint LE edition 4C and I wanted it but it was sold. I had hip replacement surgery last October so that would factor into my decision. The sales girl said two more 4C's were coming in and I wanted one. My wife asked her if I could sit in the sold one and she said sure. Well, after finally getting into it( the doorsill is very wide and the seats low) I started it up. Wow, it was super loud, I mean SUPER LOUD. No powering steering, not to many creature comforts but I lusted after this car since it came to the USA. Then I tried to get out. I could not get out!!! You have hip precautions that you must be aware of after a replacement so you don't dislocate it. I struggled so hard that my wife and the sales girl were laughing. I was devastated. Then my wife said " you were about to put a deposit on it without even getting in one", she was right. Then the test drive in a Q4 Ti Sport and I was sold. I heard there is an "Alfa shuffle" to get in and out of the car. I have to google it. Maybe there is still hope.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
being able to get out is a big issue, but for me the issue was getting into it - as in when? certainly not to the grocery store with the wife, as a case of water alone fills the trunk. not enough room for a road trip if you contemplate changing clothes and having a jacket or spare shoes in case of bad weather.
fine for a single guy, but when I started thinking about hanging a couple motorcycle bags off the back, then I thought I might as well use a bike.
It's too much money for me for what would end up mostly being a garage ornament, but depreciation could change that in the future.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I agree with lost. I was going to buy one for my wife, but after test driving it, I decided she's gonna be better off with a 718 Boxster S.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am tall and find the 4C easy to get in and out of. I think it is easier with long legs as the width from the seat to the ground is not an issue.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Jeff don't get me wrong, the 4C is an awesome track car, hopefully AR will start a 4C racing series at the club level. At that point I'll be the first one to sell my spec Boxster, buy a 4C and race it in class.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I can live with all the short comings, but the enter, exit thing is hard.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I love the 4C and went to my dealer with my wife to look into both cars. They had a mint LE edition 4C and I wanted it but it was sold. I had hip replacement surgery last October so that would factor into my decision. The sales girl said two more 4C's were coming in and I wanted one. My wife asked her if I could sit in the sold one and she said sure. Well, after finally getting into it( the doorsill is very wide and the seats low) I started it up. Wow, it was super loud, I mean SUPER LOUD. No powering steering, not to many creature comforts but I lusted after this car since it came to the USA. Then I tried to get out. I could not get out!!! You have hip precautions that you must be aware of after a replacement so you don't dislocate it. I struggled so hard that my wife and the sales girl were laughing. I was devastated. Then my wife said " you were about to put a deposit on it without even getting in one", she was right. Then the test drive in a Q4 Ti Sport and I was sold. I heard there is an "Alfa shuffle" to get in and out of the car. I have to google it. Maybe there is still hope.
I believe it is easier to get in and out if you can bend your knees hard and rotate on the seat. This kind of maneuver (less extreme) is not a bad idea in a Giulia in order to avoid scuffing the protruding rocker. My wife (severe arthritis in the knees) will be challenged to get in and out of a Giulia; there is no way she can get in a 4C.

The LE has no muffler at all and IMO ugly headlights. You can order the no muffler configuration at an extra cost or get one with a muffler for other versions of the 4C.

You can carry a passenger OR cargo in a 4C, but not both. It is not at all clear why AR did not put any trunk in the front.
Rear visibility in the 4C is terrible. The dashboard is crude. AWD is not available. My conclusion is that 4C is a toy (maybe a really good looking and fun toy, but still a toy) while a Giulia Ti Q4 actually does what I need; so I ordered the later.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The carbon tub is gorgeous to look at when seated. Getting in and out is a challenge. It's not easy in a Miata of Ferrari either. I find you must protect the bolsters first, then protect the kick plates and door pockets, then the door edges to prevent dings and chips. With all that in mind, to say nothing of your body and limbs, you have to contort yourself to squeeze out through the door on first detent. Pivot on your backside, and lift your feet up and over carefully, avoiding scuffs. So on the way in, plant you backside first while protecting the bolster with your left hand. Then lift and pivot your feet in. On the way out, open door carefully, pivot and lift feet, maybe one at a time depending on room outside of door and under the steering wheel. IN my Ferrari I do one foot first. Then place my hand on the set back near the neck, and weave your hips up and out, one foot on the ground outside, one on the floor inside, and weave your way upright while keeping the door from dinging into anything close by. Then pull you last foot out, careful not to scuff anything. It's a real feat and maybe not worth it if a Giulia can do all you want.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
There is always the Caterham Seven, no doors (fixed panels), no windows, no roof, just walk in and slide down onto the seat.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
My vote is for a 718 Boxster S as a more civilized daily/track vehicle.......

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at some very low mileage Boxster Spyders but nothing got me like the 4C. It is a toy and maybe if I keep on stretching my muscles (10 months of rehab) the flexibility will come back and it will find its way into my garage. The Giulia fills the void very nicely though.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pushing the seat all the way back helps with getting out. It will also make getting in easier.

My wife and I have actually done quite a few road trips in ours. You can fit a carry on sized bag in the boot which should suffice for a night stay at a hotel.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I looked at some very low mileage Boxster Spyders but nothing got me like the 4C. It is a toy and maybe if I keep on stretching my muscles (10 months of rehab) the flexibility will come back and it will find its way into my garage. The Giulia fills the void very nicely though.
Wishing you the best!

Reactions: alfa55

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
biscione1750, you are right.
an overnight trip - forget anything more, unless you want to get rustic.
heck, a "spare tire" bulge in the hood like on a 33, or an extra foot of rear overhang would have allowed a lot more space - and use.
I guess they didn't want that, for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
biscione1750, you are right.
an overnight trip - forget anything more, unless you want to get rustic.
heck, a "spare tire" bulge in the hood like on a 33, or an extra foot of rear overhang would have allowed a lot more space - and use.
I guess they didn't want that, for whatever reasons.
Get his and hers 4Cs and remove the passenger seat? :grin2: Then there is plenty of room for luggage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if anyone here has sat in all the glorious Alfa seats, like I have. The 4C is going to climb ($) every year as a collectible. It is superior as a track car. All owners know this and all techs who have the privilege to work on them, know, the 4C is the King of Alfa. The Quad is the Queen, Beast mode with that 505hp and far superior to any 4 door sedan. Lets be honest, Alfa has a history or being amazing, and now we get to drive them in the USA. Drive the base model of any Alfa and its better than any **** you drive (yes including me). Take a test drive and tell me I am wrong, and tell me what car is better. Alfa has sent out studies of their cars, unafraid, they always end up being the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to like the 4C. But it's like a car that doesn't know what it wants to be. If they had lavished some development money on refining the suspension instead of adding options like carbon fiber air vents, they could have improved it. But it's too raw and unusable for the street (unless you keep it as a toy, like a motorcycle) and not enough single purpose for the track. If they cared THAT much about keeping the weight (and the comfort level) down, I would have used roll up windows. It's kind of schizoid.

But the car has such tremendous presence. Really a work of art.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
maybe the electric lifts were easier from a parts bin/sharing point of view?
in any event, they were planning on limited numbers, so it works for the limited number of people.

perhaps we will get lucky and they will do a giulia based GTV, akin styling wise to the 4c and 8c, with semi useless but folding rear seats and a swooping hatch back. impractical but useable and affordable.

something like that could could take sales from other brands without massive development costs, whereas a simple coupe like bmw 3/4 series would only cannibalize giulia 4 door sales.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is a great thread.

The Giulia is my first opportunity to own an Alfa, but ever since I saw a red 4C in the showroom up close, let's just say it gets me, as Steve Martin said in L.A. Story, emotionally erect. I wish I could have both. Beautiful car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts