Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
How common are Giulias and Stelvios in Italy? Last I went was in 2015 before those cars hit the market. Was in France and Switzerland in 2019 and really didn't see any.

I felt like hatchback Peugeot Citroen VW Renault even Seat were a common sight. Didn't see nearly as many luxury cars like 3-series, Q5 etc. which are so common in the US.

·
Registered
Giulia 2.2D 180cv Q2 Super 2016
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
How common are Giulias and Stelvios in Italy? Last I went was in 2015 before those cars hit the market. Was in France and Switzerland in 2019 and really didn't see any.

I felt like hatchback Peugeot Citroen VW Renault even Seat were a common sight. Didn't see nearly as many luxury cars like 3-series, Q5 etc. which are so common in the US.
Not so much Giulia really, the most spotted are Stelvio.
Compared to C class, bmw 3, and A4, Giulia have not an high diffusion. It’s still a “sport” focused car, with not so many space inside

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

Common enough that you can rent either with Hertz in Italy ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not complaining about the size of the Giulia - I'm 6-2 wife is almost 6-0 and it works perfectly as a private car. I was just thinking for a taxi it might be a bit tight. I guess I'm used to getting into E class and Volvo S90 taxis from my most recent visits to Europe.
When I was in the Navy, we were often in Naples and if we took a cab, they would fit several of us in a minuscule Fiat and then break any law that might’ve existed (not in Naples). I thought it funny that I could survive on a massive Aircraft carrier, and come close to losing it on a pedestrian street.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not so much Giulia really, the most spotted are Stelvio.
Compared to C class, bmw 3, and A4, Giulia have not an high diffusion. It’s still a “sport” focused car, with not so many space inside
My Wife’s family in Falerna and Modena, are crazy for SUV’s. Even some American made ones.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Will definitely consider doing the next time I visit the old country.

European cities are so walkable and public transportation is amazing, so I've never needed to rent a car. My dream vacation always was to pick up a new BMW M car from BMW Welt and drive it through the Stelvio pass. Now that the BMW Euro delivery program is shelved, I could try Alfa 😁

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Will definitely consider doing the next time I visit the old country.

European cities are so walkable and public transportation is amazing, so I've never needed to rent a car. My dream vacation always was to pick up a new BMW M car from BMW Welt and drive it through the Stelvio pass. Now that the BMW Euro delivery program is shelved, I could try Alfa 😁
I enjoy driving in Italy, for myself it is part of the experience. I agree that the rail system in Italy is SOOO MUCH better than the US, I don't want to be on their schedule...I'm on vacation...I want my schedule ;)
I take the SS roads usually and the Autostrada when necessary or time is a concern. In 19 I had a Giulia Veloce, in 21 I could not rent an Alfa:mad:, this trip I have a Stelvio. Parking in cities can be an issue, so I make sure to check Hotel parking availability. City driving can be daunting, especially if you don't speak Italian, but it's no worse than driving in NYC:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Pirelli P Zero AR Pirelli Sottozero 3
1,982 Posts
Not when I went unless you pay for the super expensive Italian Collection cars.

I enjoy driving in Italy, for myself it is part of the experience. I agree that the rail system in Italy is SOOO MUCH better than the US, I don't want to be on their schedule...I'm on vacation...I want my schedule ;)
I take the SS roads usually and the Autostrada when necessary or time is a concern. In 19 I had a Giulia Veloce, in 21 I could not rent an Alfa:mad:, this trip I have a Stelvio. Parking in cities can be an issue, so I make sure to check Hotel parking availability. City driving can be daunting, especially if you don't speak Italian, but it's no worse than driving in NYC:ROFLMAO:
I tried to rent a Giulia in Palermo (I reserved a Giulia or similar from Avis)…I got an Audi Q3 :(

• Angry
Reactions: danardi

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Not when I went unless you pay for the super expensive Italian Collection cars.

I tried to rent a Giulia in Palermo (I reserved a Giulia or similar from Avis)…I got an Audi Q3 :(
don't know when you went...but Hertz has/had an "Italian Collection" line for rentals in Italy. Alfa Romeo & Maserati
Yes they ain't cheap, BUT they aren't any more expensive than a higher end Merc/BMW/Audi.
I hate AVIS!, they never give me the car I rent...it's always the "or similar". Had the whole family in Italy in 2017 and rented or so I thought a Merc Van.....they gave me a Ford Transit...LOL, same money....

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Veloce, Misano Blue, Yellow Calipers, Tan Leather, Roof and HK, Go Pedal Pro
406 Posts
When I was in the Navy, we were often in Naples and if we took a cab, they would fit several of us in a minuscule Fiat and then break any law that might’ve existed (not in Naples). I thought it funny that I could survive on a massive Aircraft carrier, and come close to losing it on a pedestrian street.
Yes, that is true of my experience in Asia - lots of old Corollas or Nissans or more recently baby Kia's or Hyundais or in China with thier local versions of VW's like Santanas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know that this forum is focused on US users.. but why!?
So, that's mine Giulia 2.2 Diesel (due to higher prices of gasoline on Europe) Q2 180cv Super on Blue Montecarlo.
It's a 2016, made on late 2015.. that's one of first pieces out of the line.
In love with his line and his handling. Not as yours QV, but.. enough for my pleasure :)
View attachment 128473
(here we are on Tuscany hills near my house)
Not speaking a lick of Italian but if you ever in US(North Carolina)- hit me up.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts