Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
How common are Giulias and Stelvios in Italy? Last I went was in 2015 before those cars hit the market. Was in France and Switzerland in 2019 and really didn't see any.

I felt like hatchback Peugeot Citroen VW Renault even Seat were a common sight. Didn't see nearly as many luxury cars like 3-series, Q5 etc. which are so common in the US.
Common enough that you can rent either with Hertz in Italy ;)

Registered
Will definitely consider doing the next time I visit the old country.

European cities are so walkable and public transportation is amazing, so I've never needed to rent a car. My dream vacation always was to pick up a new BMW M car from BMW Welt and drive it through the Stelvio pass. Now that the BMW Euro delivery program is shelved, I could try Alfa 馃榿
I enjoy driving in Italy, for myself it is part of the experience. I agree that the rail system in Italy is SOOO MUCH better than the US, I don't want to be on their schedule...I'm on vacation...I want my schedule ;)
I take the SS roads usually and the Autostrada when necessary or time is a concern. In 19 I had a Giulia Veloce, in 21 I could not rent an Alfa:mad:, this trip I have a Stelvio. Parking in cities can be an issue, so I make sure to check Hotel parking availability. City driving can be daunting, especially if you don't speak Italian, but it's no worse than driving in NYC:ROFLMAO:

Registered
Not when I went unless you pay for the super expensive Italian Collection cars.

I tried to rent a Giulia in Palermo (I reserved a Giulia or similar from Avis)鈥 got an Audi Q3 :(
don't know when you went...but Hertz has/had an "Italian Collection" line for rentals in Italy. Alfa Romeo & Maserati
Yes they ain't cheap, BUT they aren't any more expensive than a higher end Merc/BMW/Audi.
I hate AVIS!, they never give me the car I rent...it's always the "or similar". Had the whole family in Italy in 2017 and rented or so I thought a Merc Van.....they gave me a Ford Transit...LOL, same money....

Registered
Quick question. Do you use google maps, integrated nav or something else to get around? Going to Italy in July and haven鈥檛 been and don鈥檛 know what to expect. Starting in Milan and ending up in positano with the wife and two kids. What do you suggest for car and navigation? Thanks for the input!
I've used 3 methods when I'm not familiar with the roads: Waze, Google Maps & the NAVI in the Alfa. Never had an issue with any. I'll be in Milano end of August not headed south this year. Hitting all the car spots ;)
If you have any questions please feel free to ask I assume you are stopping along the way???
Rome to Sorrento is roughly 3 hours depending on traffic & how you drive. Sorrento to Positano can take a year in peak season:ROFLMAO: When I'm there I stay in Sorrento & take the boats to Amalfi or Positano. I only drive to Ravello.
I hope that you enjoy your stay in Italy! She is a beautiful country with great people!

Registered
DIO MIO!!! that is some itinerary!...your gonna need a vacation from your vacation ;)
Milano, I think that Hotel is very close to the Duomo, walking distance. If you are able to have a lunch or dinner before you leave for Liguria (Levante) try Da Giacomo Via Pasquale Sottocorno 6 OR Boeucc (Old School Classic Cucina Milanese) Piazza Belgioso 2.
The Alfa Romeo Museum is on the outskirts of Milano in Arese.

Next Stop Liguria! Your staying in Levante which is outside the cinque terre. The "5" Towns are accessible via boat or train. Take the train, cheaper & faster. My favorite town in the Cinque Terre is Vernazza. Not sure you can do all 5 towns in the time your there. But in Vernazza; Belforte is a long established place....nice local cuisine...a bit touristy now...but still a good meal.

On to Florence & Chianti!!....When in Florence and when you are in the second place which is in Chianti, you have to have Pappardelle Ragu di Cinghiale. (Wild Boar Ragu with a wide ribbon pasta). Take in the sights! Lots to see & do, near the Piazza della Signoria is the Academia; Obica Mozzarella Bar
Find a bottle of Chianti Classico Gran Selezione & have fun!

Roma, the Eternal City is just that!!! Step back in Time. Not enough time, choose your sites wisely. IF you like seafood, there is a restaurant near the Pantheon called Trattoria La Rosetta Via Rosina 8 all seafood. otherwise Trattoria Dei Mori Via San Nicola 20...solid place. IF you had more time I'd send you to the rooftop restaurant at the Sofitel Villa Borghese OR La Canonica in Trastevere.

Amalfi Coast Positano all I can say is that your Hotel is highly regarded! I have never eaten in Positano. when I am on the Amalfi Coast I always stay in Sorrento and do day trips. BUT if you go to Capri, have lunch at the Villa Verde.

If you have any questions just let me know. I'm happy to help in any way.
As far as your car quest, you are headed in the wrong direction...you need to go to Emilia-Romagna to see the BIG THREE: Ferrari, Lamborghini & Pagani

Registered
un viaggio cosi in venti giorni!!! mi fa girare la testa!!
@SDdreamer , @danardi gave you some great places to see if your into wine!! Antinori is one of the best wine makers in Italy & the World and Valdorcia is the heart of Brunello country, considered the best wine in Tuscany.
BUT the best advice he gave is about the museums!! Traditionally July is Africa hot in Italy do the indoor air conditioned stuff during the day if possible, leave the walking around for the evening, SO much to see just walking the towns.
Siena is a walking town, no cars are allowed within the city, unless you have a special pass. If you go you need to see the Piazza where they run the Palio (July 2nd), you will have missed it but no matter still something to see.
San Gimignano is a beautiful medieval city, make a local white wine (Vernaccia), your wealth was measured by the size of your uhm "Tower"...:ROFLMAO:

Registered
Thanks again for all the info. One last question regarding driving. Do I need any special license or does my CA issued real id suffice? Gotta book that rental car today.
And thank you to everyone else chiming in with your suggestions. Much appreciated!
well literally YES you need a special International license that you can get from AAA, in practicality the answer is NO, I've been driving in Europe for 40 years never had an issue, and yes I've been pulled over when they actually used to do that. Car Rental people want to see your valid drivers license, thats all
That said, you still didn;t rent your car!!!!!????? Your are a brave soul, your going to end up with a FIAT Panda :ROFLMAO:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts