Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have that big screen in the center of the dash, and minimal gauges. I wonder if a software update would allow the car to display more useful info about that the car is doing. Boost, voltage, oil temp, oil pressure would be nice. My mercedes C class even displays torque and Hp output on the little center screen.
Do any European tuners offer a OBD II output device that will display more engine parameters?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,775 Posts
FCA should be able to leverage what SRT does with Uconnect.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Get an OBD-II adapter, an app on your phone and either Android Auto or Apple Carplay and you can have all the gauges that will fit on the infotainment screen.

I agree that the center display should be a lot more flexible and posted a request on the thread regarding features one would like to see added. Do you know anything about how your Merc comes up with a torque figure? "Best guess" based on air and fuel intake maybe?

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
I don't think it's too much to ask for Alfa to give us a boost gauge.

Greg
Greg,

A pyrometer would be good too. I wonder if there is a temperature probe or if one needs to be added. This can be a big deal at altitude.

Didn't you previously note that the boost value on the CAN bus is updated too slowly to be accurate?

A shift light might also be nice.

I am curious about the accuracy of the tachometer. We have multiple people saying that to get the best 0-60 MPH time that one should shift when the tach reads somewhere between 4500 and 5000 RPM, while the various power curves that are available show that the best shift point should be around 5700-5900 RPM. Could be the power curves are wrong, the tach is slow, the driver perception is slow, the transmission shift delay is long enough that the engine is continuing to rev significantly higher than when the paddle was hit, could be the turbo is not keeping up in 1st gear, or could be something entirely different.

Since you are the one doing the tuning and I presume you have better instrumentation than most (if not all) of us, maybe you can clarify the situation?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Get an OBD-II adapter, an app on your phone and either Android Auto or Apple Carplay and you can have all the gauges that will fit on the infotainment screen.
Or, get OBD2 adapter, a small tablet, download torque or one of those apps that displays the OBD2 parameters and you should be golden.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or, get OBD2 adapter, a small tablet, download torque or one of those apps that displays the OBD2 parameters and you should be golden.
sounds interesting. do you use the app? The app page on google play does not mention where to get a OBD II Bluetooth adapter? Are any specific brands recommended?
also, can I set up my center screen as the receiving device for the BT signal, or do I need to set up my phone every time i drive?

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Wouldn't you also need a way to mount the tablet? I think it might be easier to mount a cell phone, although the display might be a bit small. There is a nice cell phone mount for Giulia that clips over the center HVAC bezel. Of course the downside to using AA for a gauge display is that you can't see other things (like maps) on that same display at the same time. It really is too bad that the center instrument display is not more flexible.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You need to keep your eyes on the road, especially in a Q.

I would like a better way to indicate shift points, perhaps an audible tone. I don't know how many times I've hit the ref limiter!

·
Registered
582 Posts
sounds interesting. do you use the app? The app page on google play does not mention where to get a OBD II Bluetooth adapter? Are any specific brands recommended?
also, can I set up my center screen as the receiving device for the BT signal, or do I need to set up my phone every time i drive?
You can get any OBD2 ELM327 dongle. Although, I'd hunt for one that powers down when the car is off, so not to kill your battery.

The dongle would connect to your phone/tablet via bluetooth (or wifi for iphones, unless they fixed their stupid stupid stupid bluetooth receiver), then once your device is loaded up, it'll start showing data.

I have NOT confirmed whether the Alfa OBD2 datastream will export all of that info though. I've come to find that the Italians play by their own rules (example: WW2) and their system may not work like virtually every other OBD2 interface.

You wouldn't be able to have the infotainment system to display the torque app, if I understand it correctly -- I am not 100% on this either. Although, if it could that would be incredibly awesome.

Regarding mounting, a phone would be much easier to mount. Tablet much easier to see. RAM mounts are the way to go.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
You need to keep your eyes on the road, especially in a Q.

I would like a better way to indicate shift points, perhaps an audible tone. I don't know how many times I've hit the ref limiter!
I think the classic shift indicator is a strobe light, which is an option on many performance oriented after market tachometers. The idea is that it is bright enough that you will see it in your peripheral vision and fast enough that it is not a distraction. I have no idea if a display panel can be bright enough or fast enough to simulate the effect or if any of the gauge apps will try to do this.

Of course for low gear shifting unless you have the reflexes of a cat you will need to set it a bit lower than the RPM you want to shift.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

I agree that the center display should be a lot more flexible and posted a request on the thread regarding features one would like to see added. Do you know anything about how your Merc comes up with a torque figure? "Best guess" based on air and fuel intake maybe?
Def! Tablet is charged and OBD Facile ready to go with my bluetooth reader. Facile is great because it can handle 2 ECU set ups like the Quads from Magneti Marelli.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a ELM327 mini adapter for $9 on Amazon. BT connection. I downloaded Torque Lite app(free) . the app worked fine for about 1 hr. i parked the car, leaving the adapter plugged into my OBD2 port. 20 min later I started the car and it threw a fault code. The "check engine" and "auto start unavailable" light were lit, and the center screen of the dash advised me to take the car in for service. So I did, although not having autostart working seemed like a blessing.
At the Alfa dealership, I restarted the car twice, and on the second restart all the lights were gone, and things seemed normal again. The service tech plugged in his diagnostic tool anyways, and discovered that my car was needing one of the new software updates, because those two warning lights were typical for this problem. It was his belief that the ELM327 adapter had nothing to do with the malfunction.
i agree that the adapter should not cause any problems, nor should the app on my Samsung Galaxy S8, but with all the electronics in these cars, who knows what can happen.
So moral of the story is : TORQUE users beware.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just give me one large 12" display and put all the info there. I don't need analog gauges anymore...it's 2018. You want old buy a classic car.

Here was my 2017 R8 V10+ gauge (first) and my Lambo Huracan 610 display (second). Everything config and all the info you need.

BUT, I'm totally happy with Quad as it is--simple and what you need (minus the lack digital speedo in race).

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.