Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first new car was a red 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 which I purchased in the fall of 1975. I drove it hard for over 8 years, but had to sell it when I moved south and needed air conditioning.

I looked at the 4C but at 6' 2" plus the 4 C is pretty tight. Besides the lack of ability to move the seat much at all.

So I have been watching the Giulia and after driving a Base model and a Quadrafoglio this week there was only one choice - the Quadrifoglio. I need an SUV for driving people around for work so this is a totally unnecessary purchase. But an exciting purchase.

I found the car I wanted in the Houston area and tried to get the dealer to change wheels which they would not do. So today I called and said I would take the car. I had quoted the price off the sticker on the internet. Nothing was said in response to the price, but the paperwork came with $5,000 added to the price. No mention how the price got $5,000 higher. I was told the internet shows the MSRP, but there is a market adjustment of $5,000 for the Quadrifoglio.

I am in sales and honesty is very important to me. If they had told me up front they were adding this markup I would have moved on and not wasted my time this week. I know from this forum that some dealers are marking up the price, but lots of others are not.

Now I am feeling a little sour about Alfa Romeo and not just the dealership. I am sure this will pass.

I told them I would never buy a car from them. So I would suggest you stay away from:

Northside Imports Houston
Spring TX

I just got a text from the salesman saying "Perception is reality, and I understand that may be your perception. However price was never discussed." But it was discussed. Who sends a text like that?

Jeff

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am sorry this happened to you, but I don't think you should feel sour about an entire brand due to the actions of one salesman or dealer. It's a great car, and there are some great dealers out there. Benson in S.C. will make you a good deal, and they will ship you the car you want in an enclosed trailer for relatively little money. Or, they will reimburse you to an extent should you chose to travel there and pick the car up. I have done that, and so did my son when he bought his Giulia. It was totally worth it.

Greg

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Greg beat me to the punch!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Greg for the reference. As I said in my post I am sure this issue with the brand will pass. Probably when I wake up tomorrow.

When I found the car in Houston I called a dealer here where I drove the car two days before. Left a message to see how long for them to order a car - they never called back. I called the other dealer here 3 times and the phone rang and rang and rang and finally disconnected. No one ever answered. As someone in sales this drives me crazy.

Jeff

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to read about this Jeff. For now, the Quad is a seller's market.

I'd recommend:

Ken Sweet
Alfa Romeo of Portland (Maine)
207-615-5124

Can't say whether they have any Quads currently but he'll give you a very fair price.

We bought our Quad from him and had it shipped to Florida.

Good luck.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
@OP the dealer who sold me my Quad shows he has 4 in stock...I know he will ship as mine was the first her received and the 2nd went right to North Carolina..
Alfa Romeo of Larchmont if they are indeed in stock my salesman John was a very stand up person and a pleasure to deal with...
G/L
M

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Quad

I was in Larchmont (NY, Westchester County) on Friday getting my first oil change and he has a very nice Monte Carlo blue low optioned Q on the showroom floor and an Alfa Red Quad tucked in the service garage (may be spoken for because that's where mine was stored until I picked it up)....I would not pay a premium over sticker...but don't expect any discount off sticker....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Spokane, WA/Couer d'Alene, ID area:
You would have to call my dealer tomorrow to see if they have any QVs coming in anytime soon. I was just there today and there were none on the lot. I know they sold 2 about as soon as they arrived. When I ordered my Ti they said they had a few "Special Orders" left to use up. I got the impression each dealer gets a certain number of those, not to be exceeded. Anyway, IF for any reason, this part of the country would be convenient for you, the dealer here (especially Kyle Gallaz - a true Alfa enthusiast) has been great to work with. I'm sure they would ship the car or my wife and I would put you up for the night and the drive back to Houston would be a nice one.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I was in Larchmont (NY, Westchester County) on Friday getting my first oil change and he has a very nice Monte Carlo blue low optioned Q on the showroom floor and an Alfa Red Quad tucked in the service garage (may be spoken for because that's where mine was stored until I picked it up)....I would not pay a premium over sticker...but don't expect any discount off sticker....
He will not discount for certain..but he should not ask a premium either..MSRP is what I paid on mine..he does have a lot of cars in stock however
He really needs to address the condition of the service area....on the sales side John was great to deal with, a real gentleman.....

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm surprised they answered your with "Perception is reality". This is the first time I've heard of a dealership being so bold, but don't let them sour the Alfa Romeo brand because the QV is an amazing vehicle.
I think I would have written back and said "My perception is that you are a total d***k-head...how's that for reality?". I'm in sales too and it's people like that guy that give the profession a bad name.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
I think I would have written back and said "My perception is that you are a total d***k-head...how's that for reality?". I'm in sales too and it's people like that guy that give the profession a bad name.
Nah, don't waste your time. Leave him hanging (though I doubt he'll understand why).

·
Registered
365 Posts
You send that salesman that email AFTER you've bought your car somewhere else... and attach a picture of you and your new car from another dealer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nah, don't waste your time. Leave him hanging (though I doubt he'll understand why).
We all have our own ways to deal with a**holes. Unfortunately it's a given on any day that you'll meet at least one.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
You send that salesman that email AFTER you've bought your car somewhere else... and attach a picture of you and your new car from another dealer.
There you go!

·
Registered
'19 Giulia QV (Rosso Comp, Black/Red interior, Sparcos)
124 Posts
I ordered my Quadrifoglio from Coorey Sweet at Northtowne Auto in Kansas City, MO. I paid MSRP and knew what I was paying from the beginning. He kept me informed during my order. I had some very minor hiccups with that dealership and their overall professionalism, but never with Coorey. I was always treated like a customer buying an 80k car. I think the dealer is just adjusting to selling something other than heavily discounted Fiats. However, if something happened and I needed to order another Alfa Romeo, I'd go back to Coorey any day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MSRP mark ups.

My first new car was a red 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 which I purchased in the fall of 1975. I drove it hard for over 8 years, but had to sell it when I moved south and needed air conditioning.

I looked at the 4C but at 6' 2" plus the 4 C is pretty tight. Besides the lack of ability to move the seat much at all.

So I have been watching the Giulia and after driving a Base model and a Quadrafoglio this week there was only one choice - the Quadrifoglio. I need an SUV for driving people around for work so this is a totally unnecessary purchase. But an exciting purchase.

I found the car I wanted in the Houston area and tried to get the dealer to change wheels which they would not do. So today I called and said I would take the car. I had quoted the price off the sticker on the internet. Nothing was said in response to the price, but the paperwork came with $5,000 added to the price. No mention how the price got $5,000 higher. I was told the internet shows the MSRP, but there is a market adjustment of $5,000 for the Quadrifoglio.

I am in sales and honesty is very important to me. If they had told me up front they were adding this markup I would have moved on and not wasted my time this week. I know from this forum that some dealers are marking up the price, but lots of others are not.

Now I am feeling a little sour about Alfa Romeo and not just the dealership. I am sure this will pass.

I told them I would never buy a car from them. So I would suggest you stay away from:

Spring TX

I just got a text from the salesman saying "Perception is reality, and I understand that may be your perception. However price was never discussed." But it was discussed. Who sends a text like that?

Jeff
A lost sale is reality. Even if you call it a perception. Wait out the mark ups. I do. It works.

Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spring TX

Jeff
I think they did you a favor - imagine how they treat customers AFTER they have your money. And you did us a favor letting us know whom not to do business with.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to read about this Jeff. For now, the Quad is a seller's market.

I'd recommend:

Ken Sweet
Alfa Romeo of Portland (Maine)
207-615-5124

Can't say whether they have any Quads currently but he'll give you a very fair price.

We bought our Quad from him and had it shipped to Florida.

Good luck.

So you have the white one ... what a beautiful car ... He gave me a very aggressive offer on it before it even arrived in May, but I could never afford it. Congratulations, it is a small world!

·
Supporting Vendor
696 Posts
Just like in 1974, or 1984, or 1994 - there are good dealerships and there are bad. With Alfa customers the dealership can't fake it. They have to commit and immerse themselves in the brand or their time with Alfa Romeo will not a be positive for them or the customers. The good dealerships get it and stick around. The ones that can't probably won't be here long.

During the "old" days, dealerships like Paul Spruell, Bobcor, Mastro, Reina International, and Ron Tonkin went out of their way to provide good service and support the cars at times when the factory did not, and because of this they had a customer base far beyond their geographic area. There are people from those old dealerships that have become like family to me, because that is how we were treated.

It's early days yet with Alfa's reintroduction but I'm sure some of these "super dealers" will emerge. I can give you the names of some current dealerships I've had good experiences with. I know it's disheartening to not have faith in your local dealership, and that's a problem that Alfa needs to work on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.