Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. So I am seriously considering getting this car and I've been shopping it around at the 2 local dealers near me. This being said, I'm having some reservations based on a lot of reviews not only on the forums but elsewhere as well. Obviously people are more likely to write/post about a negative experience rather than a positive one so I take online stuff with a grain of salt. But yesterday. I saw a Guilia on the road and I was able to wave the guy down at the stop light. I asked him, "Hey, I love the car and I'm really considering it...how do you like it so far?" and he goes "Honestly, it's been in the shop 4 times in 9 months with a lot of mechanical problems, after my lease is over I'm done." and he drove off. :( ....I was honestly expecting positive news but that was a shot to the gut...are my chances 50/50 with this vehicle? Any feedback would be appreciated and sorry if this topic has been beaten like a dead horse.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have 2100 problem-free miles on my 2018 Giulia. 2017s definitely had some issues. With the new 5 year warranty on cars built or bought after 7/1, I don't think you'll have to worry anymore. Just don't be lured by the deals on older models :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
It has been beaten to death. This thread will accomplish no more than the other 10 like it. Not trying to be harsh but it's a simple fact. The sample size on this forum isn't changing much. You're going to hear from the same group of people that have responded before. So whatever conclusions you had prior to this thread will likely be reinforced as your brain will filter towards your predisposition...just human nature.

As for making a decision on a random interaction with someone at a stoplight, do you normally make big decisions on a sample size of 1? Of course you dont. It's better to make educated decisions on larger sample sizes and facts. There are 12,000 or so Giulias sold in the US. There's more members here that are loving their cars than are having issues. The ones having issues tend to speak the loudest. Those of us that are enjoying the car and speak positively about it are labeled fanboys. So the negative rises to the top.

Best bet is go test drive one. If you like it, then buy with the confidence that you have 50k miles of warranty and a Lemon law if it's not repairable.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi there. So I am seriously considering getting this car and I've been shopping it around at the 2 local dealers near me. This being said, I'm having some reservations based on a lot of reviews not only on the forums but elsewhere as well. Obviously people are more likely to write/post about a negative experience rather than a positive one so I take online stuff with a grain of salt. But yesterday. I saw a Guilia on the road and I was able to wave the guy down at the stop light. I asked him, "Hey, I love the car and I'm really considering it...how do you like it so far?" and he goes "Honestly, it's been in the shop 4 times in 9 months with a lot of mechanical problems, after my lease is over I'm done." and he drove off. :( ....I was honestly expecting positive news but that was a shot to the gut...are my chances 50/50 with this vehicle? Any feedback would be appreciated and sorry if this topic has been beaten like a dead horse.
First year of a new car- there's going to be a few issues here and there.

I've got a 2018 (built 11/17) I bought on 6/28- bought it with 31 miles on the odo, just crossed 800 miles, and not a single light or anything out of place, and I've been opening it up and beating it slightly in the Phoenix heat. I honestly believe that those early cars had problems that have been addressed. Also, the only real Euro car that may be better in terms of quality would be an Audi- and even then only a few years ago they were considered garbage. Audi has made strides in quality, others not so much.

There are no subtle clues that sometimes foretell issues- usually before something breaks cars do weird things: No occasional odd idle or weird behavior, no oil consumption (my oil has NOT moved- it's supposed to drink a bit during break-in), no occasional glitches or anything strange. Very reassuring.

You get a solid warranty, a shot at a (very inexpensive) extended warranty (I paid $2.1K for bumper-to-bumper to 7 years / 100K miles) and lots of discounts and incentives that frankly, put a loaded Giulia within 10% of a loaded Honda Accord.

It's a no-brainer. Buy the newest production model, beat the **** out of them for the discount, take advantage of the extended warranty, and drive.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
there is no "new 5 year warranty on cars built ...." for the US market, that is UK only.
surely someone who received his through an employee discount should know the difference - but maybe he knows something that hasn't been announced.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
14,000 miles on a 2017. Times in the shop...one Friday thru Tuesday for all RRT’s and map update, two three hour visits for the T57 and an oil change, one all day for a software fix...loaner on the two longer visits...no issues, would buy again!

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
there is no "new 5 year warranty on cars built ...." for the US market, that is UK only.
surely someone who received his through an employee discount should know the difference - but maybe he knows something that hasn't been announced.
I might get an answer on that. As for the actual thread, it has been said many time; test drive one, and you are sold. Just don't buy a 2017 model. I had one, had trouble, had the option to get money back, but still decided to get another one. Says enough about the car, but everyone is different.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 2017 Base Giulia Q4 (AWD)(2-17 build --- bought 6-17) is now just over one year old. I had a few minor issues and one occasionally irritating one. In two trips to an Alfa dealer the issues, which were all software related, are completely gone. She drives and handles flawlessly. The finest sedan I have ever driven, by a country mile. I haven't had one millisecond of regret. Brand new model and a few software upgrades. I wish I could say that about all my toys that are mostly software controlled.

I have owned my Microsoft computers for well over 20 years. My farily new Windows 10 goes wacky almost every day, my most troublesome Windows ever. My son works for Bill in Redmond. My wife is Japanese and learns all of her bad English words and phrases from listening to me while I'm on the computer.

She loves our Giulia! :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Having only skimmed threads here regarding the new warranty, I'm not surprised my information is a little off. Sorry, next time I'll read through everything just for you ?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it's not for me - I bothered checking the link, saw it was UK, googled and saw no announcement from FCA, or Alfa USA. yesterday.
but one guy throws something on the internet, and next thing you know everyone is telling everyone something about something that does not exist (here & now), and it's certainly a problem on a thread for a potential buyer.

if you want to be the guy that spreads rumor as fact, that's your business - just don't get miffed if/when someone points it out.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Bought a Giulia Ti Lusso Q4 in September 2017, and it's my daily driver. Built in February 2017. No issues, and I've even modded it already too with a performance intake and tune. Car is simply fabulous; best car I've ever owned or driven. Handled winter with snow and ice like a champ.

·
Registered
483 Posts
3000 miles yesterday. No issues to speak of other than a stiff hood and some minor axle noise. This forum explained the DIY fix for both, and required no shop trips.

Every time I walk away from this car, I look back at it. I've been driving for 20 years (! that's a scary number to think about), have gone through 11 cars, and this is my favorite so far.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio, Sport, Vesuvio Grey on Red
50 Posts
Got my 2018 Ti Lusso Q4 in April of 2018, 10/17 build date. I freaking love this car but I still have my doubts. It is currently in the shop for the 3rd time for the same rattle that seems to be coming from the roof liner. Supposedly it is a "clip" that is loose. This trip, it has been in the shop since Thurs, and it is now Tues. From speaking to the dealer, they had been waiting to "talk" to Alfa Romeo. I really didn't understand why they need to talk to AR in order to fix my issue, but after asking some questions, it just seems like they are not sure how to handle this issue. They mentioned they need to take the entire roof/headliner off to fix this rattle. That alone really worries me, because I don't know how the car will be once they do that - will I have other issues?

Also, I have had 3000 miles of no issues (other than the rattle that started the day after I bought the car), but I have had some weird quirks that worry me. For instance:

-The clocks on the car keep resetting from standard 12 hr clock to zulu 24 hr clock. Does it randomly and I have to go and reset it.

-On 3 occasions the entire infotainment and instrument cluster went blank while driving, then rebooted and came back.

-When I use Apple Car Play (which is almost always), the system decides to change songs on me randomly right in the middle of a song, or it decides it is not connected to the car anymore even though it is, and I have to unplug/plug my iPhone back in a few times to get it working again.

The above things are not that serious, but they do give me pause. I have a trip planned in August from Chicago to Nashville. I convinced my wife we should drive (so I can get Giulia on some open roads!). That was 2 months ago. Lately I have been having some reservations on going on a 600+ mile road trip. If something happens electronically along the way, I will be screwed. I NEVER had any reservations about a road trip with ANY car I have ever owned.

The rattle I have been dealing with is really disappointing. A new $55K car should not rattle. I love this car but I am on the fence about staying with Alfa. I have driven pretty much BMW's for the last 23 years, and did not have any issues ever - except an air condition fan under the dash going bad. But that was at 197,000 miles on a 1999 740IL. Drove it hard in the city for 200K plus miles, never a rattle.

Hope all these opinions help!

·
Registered
383 Posts
it's not for me - I bothered checking the link, saw it was UK, googled and saw no announcement from FCA, or Alfa USA. yesterday.
but one guy throws something on the internet, and next thing you know everyone is telling everyone something about something that does not exist (here & now), and it's certainly a problem on a thread for a potential buyer.

if you want to be the guy that spreads rumor as fact, that's your business - just don't get miffed if/when someone points it out.
Oh I am glad you came to correct. My later comment was in jest :grin2: sarcasm isn't always easy to see over the internet and I need to remember that.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey everyone, thank you for the feedback. I did test drive a loaded ti sport a couple weeks ago and I loved it but just being the person I am I must get my due diligence in. Thanks again

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
A good dealer will be your best ally.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey everyone, thank you for the feedback. I did test drive a loaded ti sport a couple weeks ago and I loved it but just being the person I am I must get my due diligence in. Thanks again
I also had similar concerns prior to ordering my Giulia. Now, with over 4000 miles on my car, I have NO regrets. Absolutely love the car. The 2017's had some teething issues, mostly software related. 2018's have been very good and problem free. Most 2017's have been updated and they are fine now. A lot of happy owners (including me). The whole Alfa "reliability" stuff was based mostly a bunch of re-badged Fiats, etc. years ago. The earlier Alfas and these new one's are as good as their competition. FCA spent over a billion building this new platform from scratch. Of course time will tell for sure. My recommendation is to "go for it"...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts