Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having made my first open road night jaunt the other day, I can say one of my favorite features on Giulia is AFS, the headlamp turning feature that comes with the upgraded bi-xenon lamps.

It works pretty darn well-- though it could be faster, perhaps, on some transitions-- but the impressive part to me is that it feels so natural. It really puts the light where I want to look.

I've had rental cars with adaptive lighting, but this is my first to own, and I like it! I'm happy to have this optioned on the car.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I love the LED cornering lights as well. Especially when turning into a parking space. They light it up very nicely for you to make sure the space is clear of anything,

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I just had the right side unit replaced due to it getting water in it during a heavy rain storm. I drove through a deep puddle and the next morning it was dead. It's a $3,000 unit that thankfully was covered. Too fix it the front bumper skin must come off. In doing so they broke the bumper clips off( a known weakness on the Giulia). They had to order a new front along with the black lower valence and send it to an Auto body shop to apply the Rosso Competizione paint. Two weeks later I got the car back and the paint is perfect. Now they are paying me to get the ceramic coat and clear bra re-applied. Note to self, in the future go very slow through deep puddles.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had the right side unit replaced due to it getting water in it during a heavy rain storm. I drove through a deep puddle and the next morning it was dead. It's a $3,000 unit that thankfully was covered. Too fix it the front bumper skin must come off. In doing so they broke the bumper clips off( a known weakness on the Giulia). They had to order a new front along with the black lower valence and send it to an Auto body shop to apply the Rosso Competizione paint. Two weeks later I got the car back and the paint is perfect. Now they are paying me to get the ceramic coat and clear bra re-applied. Note to self, in the future go very slow through deep puddles.
Yikes! What an ordeal! $3k for one headlight assembly replacement? Ouch!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Having made my first open road night jaunt the other day, I can say one of my favorite features on Giulia is AFS, the headlamp turning feature that comes with the upgraded bi-xenon lamps.

It works pretty darn well-- though it could be faster, perhaps, on some transitions-- but the impressive part to me is that it feels so natural. It really puts the light where I want to look.

I've had rental cars with adaptive lighting, but this is my first to own, and I like it! I'm happy to have this optioned on the car.
It was a no-brainer for me to tic the headlight upgrade box on the order form.
I thought that the HID HLs on my BMW e39 were the best.
The Giulia Bi Xenons are even better.
I love everything about them!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Someone is getting plenty of mark-up on Giulia replacement headlamps.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Someone is getting plenty of mark-up on Giulia replacement headlamps.
The whole unit was replaced. The dealer quoted me the price from Alfa.

·
Registered
2020 gulia
156 Posts
Love this future as well. just got back from a road trip and was in an area that was not all that well lit at night very impressed.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
The whole unit was replaced. The dealer quoted me the price from Alfa.
I would be surprised if the production price for that lamp assembly exceeded $500. The supplier probably charges Mopar more, then Mopar marks it up, and the dealer on top of that. Insurance is paying, right? It's wrapped into your rates.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Alfa is paying. Plus they broke the bumper clips so they had to pay for a new fascia and the re- paint as well. Not to mention the ceramic coat and the clear bra. The clips are a design flaw, I was told.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Alfa is paying. Plus they broke the bumper clips so they had to pay for a new fascia and the re- paint as well. Not to mention the ceramic coat and the clear bra. The clips are a design flaw, I was told.
"Design Flaw" when you don't know how to take something apart without breaking it - Blame the Engineer.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,194 Posts
Imperial Works managed to get my front fascia off and back on without breaking anything.
Anything on this car can be broken if appropriate care is not taken when working on it.

I am concerned that the flooding of the headlight might indicate a design flaw with the headlight and/or the barriers around it. It appears to me that the headlight should be nearly water tight, then it should be located in a protected location with the wheel well liner stopping all but a small amount of any water from splashing against the headlamp unit. OTOH, there is an access panel in the wheel well for changing the headlamp light bulb. Perhaps that panel is not sufficiently water tight or can pop open when subjected to water pressure? The panel appears to be held in place with a clip on the inside, 2 plastic rivets on the outside, and nothing on the top or bottom.

Isn't there some model of Acura that has the air intake ducted from the wheel well, such that splashing through puddles can hydrolock and destroy the engine?

As stated by others, $3000 for one headlight is a total rip off. After the warranty is gone it is an issue. 10 years from now we are going to see wrecking yards full of Giulias with relatively minor faults and little enthusiasm for buying new cars from AR if this spares pricing non-sense persists.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The clips are very flimsy. I think it is more of a learning curve for these Alfa Techs. I was told it wasn’t the first time this happened with a poorly sealed light or the clips snapping off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For replacement parts, I think we need to hold on a bit before we cry foul too much.

We bought (or leased) a limited production vehicle (thousands per year) that is just hitting 12 months in NA. The car is made in Italy.

This is a recipe for expensive parts with long delays.

Specific to headlights. Have you priced these form fitting new headlight assemblies for any lower production rate vehicle? My last car was an Acura TSX and when new the replacement headlights were $1500 each.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, THAT’S not good to hear - I just noticed water in my wife’s right headlight assembly. It had been raining for a few days but I guarantee you she didn’t drive through any puddles...I might do that, but she’ll drive around the block rather than drive through any standing water.

Looks like a preparatory call to the dealer is in order. Make sure they have an assembly in stock before we head in for service...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts