Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I put the car below on order 2/13
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/546-alfa-romeo-giulia-owners-registry-check-area/4850-midwest-giulia-ti-order.html

It was received by the dealer on May 1st. Since then they have been pulling my chain on when pre-inspection is going to be completed. Today, I dropped by unannounced and found the following.

1. My car ordered was on display and unlocked, I confirmed by VIN
  2. It was ordered without a Navigation
  3. It was ordered without staggered wheels 225/255

The response from the dealer:
  1. We will detail the car
  2. The navigation addon is ordered by on "back order"
  3. They are confirming if ordering the staggered wheels on the Q4 is ok since it has a 9" rim vs. 8"
  4. They are tinting the car for free

My questions to you:
  1. Is the navigation really just an addon?
  2. Is it true that a Q4 with the 9" rim may ruin the Q4?
  3. Besides the tints, do I have enough merit haggle the dealer? I'm at $3,685 below MSRP right now and they added window tints as well today for free.

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
didn't you get a confirmation from the dealer with what you ordered your car with???
or are you saying that they took your order and did not place it exactly as you requested?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didn't you get a confirmation from the dealer with what you ordered your car with???
or are you saying that they took your order and did not place it exactly as you requested?
I did notice on the order sheet and I called them out on it. They claimed that the "customer" bundle includes Navigation. "Customer" bundle was listed on the order sheet but sure enough it did not include Navigation. The staggered rims were also not on the order sheet but they claimed it would not show up. I did update the OP on the MSRP discount, they threw in window tints for free today as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The NAV should have been on the build sheet - it's an add-on. So you not verifying the NAV and the staggered rims is probably on you, but on the other hand your car has a list of ~$53k based on my quick assessment of the options and may not be the easiest to move if you walk. If it were me, I'd tell them you'll stay in the deal provided they 1) do the tint and 2) provide the annual services in years 2,3,4 at no charge.. This has a low cost to the dealer and will save you about $900.... year one is complimentary right now..

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The NAV should have been on the build sheet - it's an add-on. So you not verifying the NAV and the staggered rims is probably on you, but on the other hand your car has a list of ~$53k based on my quick assessment of the options and may not be the easiest to move if you walk. If it were me, I'd tell them you'll stay in the deal provided they 1) do the tint and 2) provide the annual services in years 2,3,4 at no charge.. This has a low cost to the dealer and will save you about $900.... year one is complimentary right now..
You're probably right, I did notice the misses on the order sheet and did have them confirm but I could have pushed them harder with further evidence. The included maintenance is what I had in mind as well. Thanks!

P.S You don't think there's any merit with the Q4 not being compatible with the 255's?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Normally you want exactly the same wheel circumference with a awd system. Also I didn't see that option on the awd configurator.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Oooo not cool. By all means, make sure they seal the amp and the back window shelf to prevent water getting on the wiring and amp. Ask for the service extensions.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Normally you want exactly the same wheel circumference with a awd system. Also I didn't see that option on the awd configurator.
I agree 100% The Navi is fixable although i just don't have much trust in dealer craftsmanship and more than likely something will go wrong. Regarding the rims, I can almost live w/out the 255's. The car being unlocked on display got under my skin!!! I mean not even a **** sticker to say "Customer Order" or "Reserved". This you can't fix at all, my wife keeps busting my $*)# by saying "Giulia had her doors open to everyone that dirty girl". It's funny and sad!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree 100% The Navi is fixable although i just don't have much trust in dealer craftsmanship and more than likely something will go wrong. Regarding the rims, I can almost live w/out the 255's. The car being unlocked on display got under my skin!!! I mean not even a **** sticker to say "Customer Order" or "Reserved". This you can't fix at all, my wife keeps busting my $*)# by saying "Giulia had her doors open to everyone that dirty girl". It's funny and sad!
My prayers go to you!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,722 Posts
I have never seen the staggered wheels on the AR "build and price" site. Are they listed somewhere else? Wider tires are almost always better. I wonder if they are order-able at all now? I wonder if they will fit? Some reviewers state that the rear wheel wells are different on the QV to accommodate the wide rear tires; plus the rear seat of the QV will not fold down. Is that correct?

I think getting the QV's huge brake disks on a Ti would also be a big plus. It doesn't sound that hard for AR to make available, but may require some tweaks to the stability control. I get very nervous driving extended distances downhill due to the possibility of overheating the brakes. Engine braking (especially with an automatic transmission) is rather limited. OTOH, QV also apparently has air ducted to the brakes, unlike Ti.

·
Registered
57 Posts
UK-spec (RWD only) cars all have staggered wheels on 18" and upwards. As far as I can tell, all European RWD cars do too.

I don't know about AWD as I can't find a relevant brochure.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The staggered wheels are only available now on all RWD builds. They removed the option for AWD for some reason. The staggered wheels offered still have the same diameter which means no additional tax on the trans or AWD system. Very odd indeed!

I dropped by yesterday unannounced to ensure the car was removed from the showcase and my heart stopped for a brief second as the car was unlocked. Before my face boiled I checked the VIN and it was a different car :)

What we are waiting for now is the AR rep to validate information on the staggered wheels+AWD. The dealer swears they put in an order for the wheels already but i'm not holding my breath. A bit of micromanaging will now be deployed on my part.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The staggered wheels are only available now on all RWD builds. They removed the option for AWD for some reason. The staggered wheels offered still have the same diameter which means no additional tax on the trans or AWD system. Very odd indeed!

I dropped by yesterday unannounced to ensure the car was removed from the showcase and my heart stopped for a brief second as the car was unlocked. Before my face boiled I checked the VIN and it was a different car :)

What we are waiting for now is the AR rep to validate information on the staggered wheels+AWD. The dealer swears they put in an order for the wheels already but i'm not holding my breath. A bit of micromanaging will now be deployed on my part.
Sometimes (often) staggered leads to understeer. The trade off is better exits because you have wider rear tires. That advantage isn't such an advantage, though, with AWD. So I can see how they might have decided it didn't make sense to offered staggered setup on an AWD car.

On the other extreme, staggered makes a lot of sense on the Quad where you have a ton of power and two tires to get it through.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This past Friday, I was at a dealership in Youngstown, Ohio. There was a beautiful tri-coat red Ti inside. My daughter and I were sitting in it, pushing buttons, opening hood, etc. I causally glanced at the window sticker and there across the top was something like "Built especially for ......" with someone's name on it. We were wondering if someone ordered it, it arrived, and the dealership figured why not let people climb all over it! I really don't know what the situation is in this case, but I wouldn't be happy with my custom ordered car was being used by the dealership without my approval!

·
Registered
343 Posts
This past Friday, I was at a dealership in Youngstown, Ohio. There was a beautiful tri-coat red Ti inside. My daughter and I were sitting in it, pushing buttons, opening hood, etc. I causally glanced at the window sticker and there across the top was something like "Built especially for ......" with someone's name on it. We were wondering if someone ordered it, it arrived, and the dealership figured why not let people climb all over it! I really don't know what the situation is in this case, but I wouldn't be happy with my custom ordered car was being used by the dealership without my approval!
Let's hope it was a customer ordered car that the customer backed out of and is now for sale. Otherwise, I too, would be p***ed if a dealer let my car open for everyone to play in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought my car on Friday and when I went to get it on Saturday, there was a family looking at it in the showroom. When I arrived and sat in the car, the young son asked me politely if his parents could sit in with me.

Credit to Browns in Long Island for locking the car. And credit to the kid for being so polite about it. Salesperson said they decided to buy a Giulia.

·
Registered
735 Posts

My take? Don't count on it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still have a bitter taste in my mouth and I don't even have the car yet. Seems the navigation proved more troublesome than they thought and they are still having trouble with the staggered wheels on the AWD. They attempted to have me sign a waiver on the warranty and I politely asked for my deposit back which changed their tune. I'm waiting to hear form them hopefully the next day or so.

Regarding the tints, they didn't install any of the brands I liked and will discount the car further given the shop I will take it to. So far so good, I just don't have a good feeling about the whole thing. This should have been a smooth process.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts