Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just look at the physical attributes of people around you and it’s no surprise people want every single electronic device to control every move. Imagine people saying trust the science but ignore the alcohol, drugs, cheeseburgers and man tits they carry. Sad but the future for America is fat lazy and electric.
Real cheeseburgers are good for you. Hey, will Alfa bring back manual operated windows? Those are good arm exercise.

·
Registered
235 Posts
All the screens combined with all the driver "assists" like lane departure etc" IMHO the auto manufacturers are getting us ready for self driving cars. The more they get us used to watching screens and letting the cars do everything surrounding driving the easier it will be for them to sell cars that don't need a driver at all. It'll be a sad day indeed when that happens.
That lane departure warning on my 2019 QV seems very easy to turn on accidentally, being on the end of the turn signal stalk, and it several times it distracted me with the beeping when I didn't know it was on, but worse is when the steering starts pushing back when you try to cross the lane divider.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Getting themselves ready, too. What better way to validate the technology? A car that doesn't need a driver but allows one to take control may be the best we have to hope for.
I don't think they can do that with motorcycles, but they're a poor and more dangerous substitute for the uses and necessity of a car

·
Registered
235 Posts
All this sucks for us younger enthusiasts just entering the stride of our careers. My biggest hobby being legislated out of existence, being forced to become something I never imagined. Wish I had enough $$ to buy an M2, 911, and Giulia QV then lock them in my garage forever.
Those cars will have to be vaccinated in the future.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
360 camera would be nice to protect the very expensive front splitter 😓

HUD would be nice too but as I've never owned a car with one before, I don't know if I'd find it distracting or not. I get distracted very easi... what was I saying?

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Am I in an extreme minority that just....drives when he's in the car? Only other thing I enjoy is my phone automatically connecting to my music playlist. The bluetooth lady whom I speak to requesting to call _ is even responsive and understands when I speak with a Greek accent (some of my contacts are named in Greek or Greek nicknames). I don't need my car to toast me a bagel and slice avocados for me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
MB solves heavy EV battery problem.
New MB AA class
Lol, actually the are solving their battery issues by partnering with Stellantis...

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI, 2018 Stelvio, 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.
89 Posts
I hear you.

If Porsche can figure out a way to make synthetic fuel not release bad stuff into the air, I'd be happy with that option also.
This is actually the better and more efficient option. Widespread use of synthetic fuels would be an immediate solution. We already have the infrastructure, and we would not have to replace all of our present cars. We already have storage, distribution, and gas stations that will work fine with synthetic fuels.

Unfortunately, governments and the press keep pushing the less efficient and less desirable electric car solution. Money that could be spent on synthetic fuels is being spent on batteries instead, simply because batteries are winning the popularity contest. We need to spend billions on generation, transmission infrastructure, and charging stations. The infrastructure cost for synthetic fuels is nearly nothing. Governments should have set tight emission standards and let the market figure out the best way to get there.

There is a lot of investment in developing synthetic fuels for aircraft right now, the best we can hope for is that it crosses over to cars after the electric fan boys figure out that this is the best solution. It sometimes seems like this is less about climate change and more about forcing electric cars on us.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I personally agree with the philosophy of minimizing screens - however there are not enough buyers out there at this point that would agree with that approach to keep the company afloat

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is actually the better and more efficient option. Widespread use of synthetic fuels would be an immediate solution. We already have the infrastructure, and we would not have to replace all of our present cars. We already have storage, distribution, and gas stations that will work fine with synthetic fuels.

Unfortunately, governments and the press keep pushing the less efficient and less desirable electric car solution. Money that could be spent on synthetic fuels is being spent on batteries instead, simply because batteries are winning the popularity contest. We need to spend billions on generation, transmission infrastructure, and charging stations. The infrastructure cost for synthetic fuels is nearly nothing. Governments should have set tight emission standards and let the market figure out the best way to get there.

There is a lot of investment in developing synthetic fuels for aircraft right now, the best we can hope for is that it crosses over to cars after the electric fan boys figure out that this is the best solution. It sometimes seems like this is less about climate change and more about forcing electric cars on us.
Seems there are a few negatives to synthetic fuel, especially production, but still very interesting read:

Reactions: Marmaduke

·
Registered
183 Posts

EVs are a completely new industry with billions of $$ to be made from an untapped supply chain. Politicians would rather parrot EVs since they have a lot more to gain politically/financially. Somebody has got to mine the raw minerals, put them together, build charging infrastructure, charge people for charging, etc.

Synthetic fuels? Not nearly as fancy sounding to the average idiot, and not nearly as profitable for billionaires around the world.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing as I was pulling into my garage after work today. 2026 is so freaking near. How is infrastructure in America going to be anywhere near where it needs to be for Alfa Romeo to be a 100% EV company? I live in California by the way, land of just a few EV chargers here and there despite all the political posturing/virtue signaling.

It seems like of the European automakers, only BMW is the being pragmatic about the EV transition. They are going slow and steady, something the mainstream media attacks them for but enthusiasts appreciate. Porsche is going to try and prolong the 911 for as long as possible but I'm not sure what's in the cards for the lower-priced Boxster/Cayman.

All this sucks for us younger enthusiasts just entering the stride of our careers. My biggest hobby being legislated out of existence, being forced to become something I never imagined. Wish I had enough $$ to buy an M2, 911, and Giulia QV then lock them in my garage forever.
I think they are way too optimistic about the timeline phasing out the ICE and going full electric. Are there mechanisms to back off and adjust the timeline when the infrastructure and technology is not there in time?

I have a friend who is a sales manager at a dealership that sells BMWs, Porsches, and Audis. On a hot summer day when all the AC was running in their buildings they plugged in a car to charge it. That caused a transformer to blow out on a nearby pole. Since then they have blown out three or four more transformers on the block just by plugging in a car to charge when electrical demands were high. What is it going to be like when everybody on the street plugs in their car? And this is in a wealthy, well-developed area (look at what they sell.)

They also took a big battery out of a Porsche for replacement. It shorted out and melted straight down into the paving in the garage, making a square hole. (Not sure if it was concrete or what type, but I suspect so.) Electric vehicles can be very dangerous to work on. Technicians don’t have the training.

Are cars is going to be something that only the very wealthy can afford? We could be headed in that direction, at least if you want something late model.

When digital photography technology advanced enough to effectively replace film, the transition happened quickly and organically without government intervention. It should be the same with electric cars. When we have affordability, long range, and enough infrastructure to support it properly, the market will take care of things on its own without the manufacturers and the government preaching at us from on high. And by the way, this is a pretty liberal guy saying this!

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
272 Posts
I think they are way too optimistic about the timeline phasing out the ICE and going full electric. Are there mechanisms to back off and adjust the timeline when the infrastructure and technology is not there in time?

I have a friend who is a sales manager at a dealership that sells BMWs, Porsches, and Audis. On a hot summer day when all the AC was running in their buildings they plugged in a car to charge it. That caused a transformer to blow out on a nearby pole. Since then they have blown out three or four more transformers on the block just by plugging in a car to charge when electrical demands were high. What is it going to be like when everybody on the street plugs in their car? And this is in a wealthy, well-developed area (look at what they sell.)

They also took a big battery out of a Porsche for replacement. It shorted out and melted straight down into the paving in the garage, making a square hole. (Not sure if it was concrete or what type, but I suspect so.) Electric vehicles can be very dangerous to work on. Technicians don’t have the training.

Are cars is going to be something that only the very wealthy can afford? We could be headed in that direction, at least if you want something late model.

When digital photography technology advanced enough to effectively replace film, the transition happened quickly and organically without government intervention. It should be the same with electric cars. When we have affordability, long range, and enough infrastructure to support it properly, the market will take care of things on its own without the manufacturers and the government preaching at us from on high. And by the way, this is a pretty liberal guy saying this!
You make some good points. I would say that in the United States specifically, there is no way I see us getting appropriate infrastructure that is even half as effective or ubiquitous as the ICE infrastructure is by the time the deadline comes around. Mostly due to the unionization of construction workers and general delays in most infrastructure work here. Not just with EV charging stations, but as you say, with improvements to the actual power grid itself. Not sure if privatization will be the answer here, as utility infrastructure is not handled as a free market in the US, with essentially regional monopolies on power delivery by various conglomerates.

If the free market is to be the answer here also, I'm curious to know what the numbers are on revenue and profit for an EV charging station vs. a gas station, in terms of the total cost of implementing each (or a hybrid) vs the actual profit margin. I have no clue what the breakdown is, but if EV power services aren't able to charge enough to make a reasonable profit vs gas, then without government intervention I'm not sure that infrastructure will ever take off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Am I in an extreme minority that just....drives when he's in the car? Only other thing I enjoy is my phone automatically connecting to my music playlist. The bluetooth lady whom I speak to requesting to call _ is even responsive and understands when I speak with a Greek accent (some of my contacts are named in Greek or Greek nicknames). I don't need my car to toast me a bagel and slice avocados for me.
I don't know about you, but I like to take long road trips on roads that I don't know. Having NAV is extremely useful to have, with traffic depending on where I'm going. I don't do music playlists so having access to voice control my music (if using AA) is very useful. The lack of hard buttons makes selecting music stations distracting in the Alfa when using SiriusXM.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm happy to read this, my sentiments too. I traded a new Audi S5 for my 2019 Giulia QV and have never regretted it. The Audi had so much tech that I considered dangerous. Frequently found myself fiddling with a screen when I should have been driving. My Giulia has been a joy to own and drive.
That's not really the fault of the car, now is it? Besides, several of the features are locked out while driving to prevent distractions. I can understand finding the QV a more engaging car to drive than the S5 (NO arguments from me on that); however, it's a personal choice to allow one's self to become distracted while driving. I'll also admit that Audi made things much worse when they did away with the wheel and went touch screen only. It's significantly more distracting. The 2018-2019 were easier to use for simple stuff like changing the radio.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts