Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just look at the physical attributes of people around you and it’s no surprise people want every single electronic device to control every move. Imagine people saying trust the science but ignore the alcohol, drugs, cheeseburgers and man tits they carry. Sad but the future for America is fat lazy and electric.
Not just America. We are not far behind, if at all, with regard to fat and lazy.

As regards electric, however, we struggle to keep the lights on right now. There is absolutely no way we will generate enough electricity to power cars aswell.

So long as somebody is still making them, we'll have the ICE for decades to come... it'll be a shame if one isn't an Alfa though... 😟

·
Registered
89 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Besides maybe the CT4-V, there is no other car on the market that has the same level of performance and handling characteristics at this price point. That plus Apple Carplay more than makes up for any lack of gimmicks that I might've found in the equivalent Audi. Then again, that is kind of the ethos of Alfa Romeo - driver first above all. They were never about next-gen software / gadgets, nor will they ever be, and that's what drew me to buy a Giulia in the first place. I appreciate the CEO's focus.
I took my 2020 Ti sport Q4 and 2019 A5 sport on the same road, with very technical curves, back to back 3 times this summer and I found out something very interesting. The 2 cars aren't that far apart. In fact, it's not until you reach the limit and beyond where I noticed that the Alfa is better. Mind you, the limit is taking a corner twice the posted speed or higher. The difference is that the Alfa doesn't understeer (and Audi isn't terrible like in years past) and the Alfa will oversteer if I got carried away. I could go maybe, up to 5 mph faster in the Alfa, in the same corner. The dual-clutch in the Audi is better than the ZF8 in the Alfa, if just barely. Yes, surprised me too. I expected the Alfa to blow away the Audi. It didn't, not by a long shot.

As for gadgets, I want 360 camera and HUD. I would also like ambient lighting and ventilated seats. The Alfa does have great riding and handling characteristics for its class, but it's hardly night and day as some people suggest and unless someone is driving at the absolute limit on very technical corners, there is hardly any difference at all IN MY EXPERIENCE. In less technical/challenging corners, there is no difference, at least one not worth mentioning if one enters and exits the corner correctly.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You can say gadgets. Maybe I'm weird, but I like gadgets and performance in the same package. Other brands seemed to figure out how to do both. I know it may be hard to believe, but not everyone wants a QV. It's too much car for the streets IMO and I don't like the color options.
Understood. Gadgets then. It's confusing when anyone says that there is no technology in an Alfa Romeo Giulia, specially when the QV exists. I'm sorry you don't like the QV color options.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,180 Posts
You can say gadgets. Maybe I'm weird, but I like gadgets and performance in the same package. Other brands seemed to figure out how to do both. I know it may be hard to believe, but not everyone wants a QV. It's too much car for the streets IMO and I don't like the color options.
I understand what you're saying, and it is a market trend.

One of the reasons i picked the Giulia was because of “simplicity”. I made sure it had AppleCarPlay, and i’ve used it a grand total of 1 time in 3.5 years. I do use music over bluetooth on every trip tho. I know im likely in the minority when it comes to this stuff, but i’m not a fan of complications and distractions.IMHO

I personally feel the benchmark of features/functionality of the "on board computer" to be a strange development of recent times IMHO

However, i must say....front&rear parking sensors, backup camera, rear-cross-traffic detection, blind spot monitoring, lane exit detection, adaptive cruise control are "meaningful" for this category of vehicle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Money is the main objective for an auto manufacturers. Once they realize profits have sunk they will hang on to some ICE cars. The main selling point for EV is its environmental friendly even though it isn’t. Different discussion. And that they are basically maintenance free. Well why would any auto manufacturers make a car that you keep for 10-12 years and never need maintenance. It’s a suicide mission to go full EV. We will see hybrids forever.
Besides getting into the driving experience benefits of EVs (unrelated to the environment)...

The suicide mission is for dealers, not manufacturers. The reduced warranty repair (less complexity), the lack of a middle man (dealers dying from limited maintenance), and ever improving technology is all a boon for manufactuers.

The general public does not keep cars for 10-12 years. Leases are a revolving door for manufacturers to sell new cars. New technology (especially in the EV space) will pressure buyers to upgrade. Ever heard of Apple? You get a new phone every 12 months. Is it damage or obsolete? Nope. A new one is available and so you upgrade and keep paying.

What technology do you miss from the Alfa? I personally feel that with the exception of the backup camera, which is indeed couple generations behind, the car has pretty much all the technology I expect to see in a modern car. Yes, a built in dash-cam would be nice, but other than Tesla, it is not even offered by the major competitors.
I'd have to agree. I just need CarPlay, Back Up Camera and Blind Spot type monitoring. I've got a Tesla with a zillion games and gadgets and I don't really need it. The Giulia has just about everything I need from a tech standpoint.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Besides getting into the driving experience benefits of EVs (unrelated to the environment)...

The suicide mission is for dealers, not manufacturers. The reduced warranty repair (less complexity), the lack of a middle man (dealers dying from limited maintenance), and ever improving technology is all a boon for manufactuers.

The general public does not keep cars for 10-12 years. Leases are a revolving door for manufacturers to sell new cars. New technology (especially in the EV space) will pressure buyers to upgrade. Ever heard of Apple? You get a new phone every 12 months. Is it damage or obsolete? Nope. A new one is available and so you upgrade and keep paying.

I'd have to agree. I just need CarPlay, Back Up Camera and Blind Spot type monitoring. I've got a Tesla with a zillion games and gadgets and I don't really need it. The Giulia has just about everything I need from a tech standpoint.
How many alfas you own? I gotta keep asking because you don’t own one but defend Tesla at all costs. What’s the end game for being on an Alfa forum owning EVs? Are you buying an Alfa or just “thinking” about it

·
Registered
508 Posts
How many alfas you own? I gotta keep asking because you don’t own one but defend Tesla at all costs. What’s the end game for being on an Alfa forum owning EVs? Are you buying an Alfa or just “thinking” about it
I ordered a 2022 Veloce. You must not be able to see my signature. I am all aboard the Frecciarossa!

But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate alternatives. I have spent 20+ years of my driving life with manual sporty cars, and also 5 years with BEV and PHEVs. EVs are not the enemy, and they can actually be very fun to drive. You just have to trust me on that. I will miss driving with the soul of an ICE, but that doesn't take away from a BEV. They can both be good at what they do.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As another Tesla & Alfa owner, I thoroughly enjoy watching people twist themselves into knots making Tesla out to be the big bad automotive Boogieman / gatekeeping what it means to be an automotive enthusiast. You'd think they might appreciate that Tesla makes all of their cars ridiculously fast and firmly sprung, but no. The insecurity creeps in and all the people who have never driven a good EV, much less lived with one line up to tell us how it will never work and the sky is falling.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
699 Posts
What technology do you miss from the Alfa? I personally feel that with the exception of the backup camera, which is indeed couple generations behind, the car has pretty much all the technology I expect to see in a modern car. Yes, a built in dash-cam would be nice, but other than Tesla, it is not even offered by the major competitors.
The HUD was really nice in the BMW. Having your speedo, directions, everything floating over the hood of the car was a nice little touch.

·
Registered
508 Posts

The HUD was really nice in the BMW. Having your speedo, directions, everything floating over the hood of the car was a nice little touch.
HUD is nice until you put on polarized sunglasses :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
699 Posts
HUD is nice until you put on polarized sunglasses :cool:
Yeah, I would specifically buy non-polarized for that. But it did work perfectly even after putting the clear ceramic tint on the windshield!

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The only infotainments improvements I really want are HUD and integrated dashcam. Otherwise, I'm happy keeping things simple and non-distracting.

Reactions: August and C.Q4

·
Registered
2020 Giulia 2.0 TI Q4 Alfa Rosso
17 Posts
I ordered a 2022 Veloce. You must not be able to see my signature. I am all aboard the Frecciarossa!

But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate alternatives. I have spent 20+ years of my driving life with manual sporty cars, and also 5 years with BEV and PHEVs. EVs are not the enemy, and they can actually be very fun to drive. You just have to trust me on that. I will miss driving with the soul of an ICE, but that doesn't take away from a BEV. They can both be good at what they do.
I think we can all appreciate the electric option, but the problem comes about when EV is the only choice. Some of us young guys haven't had the lifetime of fun you've had! My Alfa is my second car, my first being a 1.4L Chevy Cruze backed up by an absolutely raging 138HP. That's right, 0-60 in 8.5 flat.
I want to fully experience the joy of owning a QV or an M3 before they lose the spirit they were born with!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think we can all appreciate the electric option, but the problem comes about when EV is the only choice. Some of us young guys haven't had the lifetime of fun you've had! My Alfa is my second car, my first being a 1.4L Chevy Cruze backed up by an absolutely raging 138HP. That's right, 0-60 in 8.5 flat.
I want to fully experience the joy of owning a QV or an M3 before they lose the spirit they were born with!
I hear you.

If Porsche can figure out a way to make synthetic fuel not release bad stuff into the air, I'd be happy with that option also.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
269 Posts
I much prefer the current legislation in the US requiring automakers to have an average MPG of 54.5 of more. That way car makes are incentivized to make desirable EVs and Hybrids, and also permits them to continue making ridiculous hot rod performance cars. Not a fan of the mandates “no ICE cars by XXXX year”, they’re much too draconian IMO.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You haven't lived until you've driven a smog control addled late 1970s or early 1980s car. 8.5 seconds would have felt like a rocketship.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I much prefer the current legislation in the US requiring automakers to have an average MPG of 54.5 of more. That way car makes are incentivized to make desirable EVs and Hybrids, and also permits them to continue making ridiculous hot rod performance cars. Not a fan of the mandates “no ICE cars by XXXX year”, they’re much too draconian IMO.
Or just raise gas taxes (the additional proceeds could pay for road upkeep and deficit reduction) and let us figure out our priorities.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
269 Posts
Or just raise gas taxes (the additional proceeds could pay for road upkeep and deficit reduction) and let us figure out our priorities.
TBH I think taxes should be levied more towards 18-wheeler trucks. They do the majority of wear and tear on public roads. Diesel taxes and cleaner truck technology + cleaner freighter / cargo ship engines. Now that I can get behind.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
As another Tesla & Alfa owner, I thoroughly enjoy watching people twist themselves into knots making Tesla out to be the big bad automotive Boogieman / gatekeeping what it means to be an automotive enthusiast. You'd think they might appreciate that Tesla makes all of their cars ridiculously fast and firmly sprung, but no. The insecurity creeps in and all the people who have never driven a good EV, much less lived with one line up to tell us how it will never work and the sky is falling.
ive actually defended Tesla numerous times because I am a fan of the instant torque. But I don’t go on Tesla forums and praise the QV. No one insecure here my friend. If I wanted one. I’d buy one. At you’re expense of course. Haha

41 - 60 of 78 Posts