Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
As the owner of a single big screen Tesla, and a lifetime of simple two screen Subarus, I can say that I enjoy both. Now, there are also too many current automakers selling cars with a million buttons for every function. Less is more.

I find the Giulia interior to be to the point, which is nice. The screen is a good size (ok, back up camera screen could be wider), and the buttons are simplified, not excessive.

The Model 3/Y with just one giant screen is nice too. It keep your line of sight uncluttered in front of you. Information/Functions are to the right, when you want them.

Sound - yea, I get it. I don't want pipped in fake sound. If it's an EV, I want an EV experience.

Reactions: Engi_Nerd

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like the last chance to buy a brand new "real" Alfa Romeo will be 2026 or 2027. That 2026 QV will be last true Dream Car and a new key milestone. We are going to miss the random CELs in rough cold starts in those brand new Alfa Romeo's. Fortunately, some of us will be able to keep our ICEs and will continue to feel and enjoy that music out of the exhausts.
I think it was Bob Lutz who predicted something similar a few years ago. That regulation and customer preference will push towards BEVs and autonomous driving, and the remaining enthusiasts would get together on weekends and have their car shows and rallycrosses with their conventionally powered and driven vehicles. I know where I'll be.
My son is 4. I hope I can get him into the latter camp before it's too late.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,182 Posts
I don't want pipped in fake sound. If it's an EV, I want an EV experience.
But sound powered by the battery and played through the speakers is legit "EV powered" sound...... the sound could be of rain in a forest or whales mating or whatever is "officially approved". ;):p:D

(Sorry i couldn't resist)

PS>>Congrats on placing your order

·
Registered
514 Posts
But sound powered by the battery and played through the speakers is legit "EV powered" sound...... the sound could be of rain in a forest or whales mating or whatever is "officially approved". ;):p:D

(Sorry i couldn't resist)
LOL...Except the battery powering the infotainment/speakers is the 12v...

Formula E has a nice futuristic sound, but a retail EV is a lot quieter. Actually my Subaru PHEV makes more spaceship sounds than our Tesla. Just keep the pipped in sounds out of my cabin (even some ICE do that these days).

·
Registered
422 Posts
LOL...Except the battery powering the infotainment/speakers is the 12v...

Formula E has a nice futuristic sound, but a retail EV is a lot quieter. Actually my Subaru PHEV makes more spaceship sounds than our Tesla. Just keep the pipped in sounds out of my cabin (even some ICE do that these days).
A lot of ICE cars do that today. If not the majority of "sports" cars.

ICE is not going any where anytime soon guys calm down. Our infrastructure cannot support it and oil and gas still has some DEEP pockets. I think all are worrying a bit over nothing.

Sure one day ICE will be gone but its not anytime soon lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
A lot of ICE cars do that today. If not the majority of "sports" cars.

ICE is not going any where anytime soon guys calm down. Our infrastructure cannot support it and oil and gas still has some DEEP pockets. I think all are worrying a bit over nothing.

Sure one day ICE will be gone but its not anytime soon lol
By pipped in, I mean music through the speakers (VW Soundaktor), not an additional organ from the intake diverting sound into the cabin (BRZ). I don't mind real sound being funneled in.

AR is ending ICE in 2027, so the end is near if you want a new ICE.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Does anyone else use ‘ICE’ to mean two different things?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Does anyone else use ‘ICE’ to mean two different things?
Nope. Or do you mean because I used ICE twice in one sentence?

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@C.Q4 some frequent travelers use it for “In Cabin Entertainment” (synonymous with in-flight entertainment).

it’s also Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Can you imagine this in EV mode? Nothing like ICE, at any level, from Go Karts to performance sport cars.

Click Here
Karts are fun. I admit I’ve never driven a shifter. I found accelerator modulation in the electric karts I’ve driven to be so-so. The best part about them was indoor air breathability.

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it was Bob Lutz who predicted something similar a few years ago. That regulation and customer preference will push towards BEVs and autonomous driving, and the remaining enthusiasts would get together on weekends and have their car shows and rallycrosses with their conventionally powered and driven vehicles. I know where I'll be.
My son is 4. I hope I can get him into the latter camp before it's too late.
Seems like the direction we are going except almost no enthusiast cars are safe. Porsche announced today the Boxster/Cayman are going EV. The Giulia QV will go EV. And I'd imagine after the current generation M3/4 and forthcoming G87 M2, the M division will go EV as well. AMG, well we all know what's happening with them. Basically in the next 5-10 yrs all these cars will be phased out completely.

What we will be left with are cars like Mustang, Challenger, maybe Miata, and possibly the 911. Seems like Porsche hinted today that they have no plans for a 911 EV.

Grim times.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Karts are fun. I admit I’ve never driven a shifter. I found accelerator modulation in the electric karts I’ve driven to be so-so. The best part about them was indoor air breathability.
You have to drive a shifter. It is simply amazing. ICE must never die !!!. These below pics is me, like 20 years ago. I am #105 (Birel chassis, Honda 125cc).

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
A lot of people moan about the technology in modern cars. I get it. Modern cars are significantly more disconnected from the driving experience, regardless of manufacturer. Yes, that also includes Alfa. The bottom line is if Alfa wants to stay in business, they need to build and sell cars that people actually want to buy. You can't be dead last in class when it comes to available technology and expect to stay in business. People criticize Lexus (and rightfully so) about outdated tech and they are even ahead of Alfa.

I find the lack of technology in Alfas annoying, with the driving experience just barely making up for the lack of tech. If the car offered a manual, I would be a little more forgiving, but it doesn't. If Alfa doesn't step it up, and soon, they will become even more irrelevant than they already are.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
A lot of people moan about the technology in modern cars. I get it. Modern cars are significantly more disconnected from the driving experience, regardless of manufacturer. Yes, that also includes Alfa. The bottom line is if Alfa wants to stay in business, they need to build and sell cars that people actually want to buy. You can't be dead last in class when it comes to available technology and expect to stay in business. People criticize Lexus (and rightfully so) about outdated tech and they are even ahead of Alfa.

I find the lack of technology in Alfas annoying, with the driving experience just barely making up for the lack of tech. If the car offered a manual, I would be a little more forgiving, but it doesn't. If Alfa doesn't step it up, and soon, they will become even more irrelevant than they already are.
What do you mean by technology?. And by lack of technology and being annoying? Do you think that a car with a F154 2.9L V6 505hp engine is low technology?. And the aerodynamics of that QV is lack of technology?. And a car that can do the NRing in 7'32" is lacking technology?. I assume that you are talking about screens, cameras, infotainment and that kind of "technology". Alfa Romeo will unfortunately move to 100% EV as some day, no more ICE cars will be sold at any brand dealerships in the globe.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Money is the main objective for an auto manufacturers. Once they realize profits have sunk they will hang on to some ICE cars. The main selling point for EV is its environmental friendly even though it isn’t. Different discussion. And that they are basically maintenance free. Well why would any auto manufacturers make a car that you keep for 10-12 years and never need maintenance. It’s a suicide mission to go full EV. We will see hybrids forever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What do you mean by technology?. And by lack of technology and being annoying? Do you think that a car with a F154 2.9L V6 505hp engine is low technology?. And the aerodynamics of that QV is lack of technology?. And a car that can do the NRing in 7'32" is lacking technology?. I assume that you are talking about screens, cameras, infotainment and that kind of "technology". Alfa Romeo will unfortunately move to 100% EV as some day, no more ICE cars will be sold at any brand dealerships in the globe.
You can say gadgets. Maybe I'm weird, but I like gadgets and performance in the same package. Other brands seemed to figure out how to do both. I know it may be hard to believe, but not everyone wants a QV. It's too much car for the streets IMO and I don't like the color options.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,457 Posts
You can say gadgets. Maybe I'm weird, but I like gadgets and performance in the same package. Other brands seemed to figure out how to do both. I know it may be hard to believe, but not everyone wants a QV. It's too much car for the streets IMO and I don't like the color options.
In fairness i do use Android Auto evertime i get in the car. Waze and Spotify. I appreciate nice factory sound systems too which my HK is not imo. A really good adjustable stability control system is also extremely important to me which we don't have.

Our 2.0l car does skidpad and figure 8 results literally slower than the Toyota Prius if you look up the results but thats purely stability control limited.

This is why race mod was also a must. A bit of a bummer because companies like porche and the Corvette have adjustable stability control that really makes the car faster.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
272 Posts

I respectfully disagree. Besides maybe the CT4-V, there is no other car on the market that has the same level of performance and handling characteristics at this price point. That plus Apple Carplay more than makes up for any lack of gimmicks that I might've found in the equivalent Audi. Then again, that is kind of the ethos of Alfa Romeo - driver first above all. They were never about next-gen software / gadgets, nor will they ever be, and that's what drew me to buy a Giulia in the first place. I appreciate the CEO's focus.

·
Registered
448 Posts

What technology do you miss from the Alfa? I personally feel that with the exception of the backup camera, which is indeed couple generations behind, the car has pretty much all the technology I expect to see in a modern car. Yes, a built in dash-cam would be nice, but other than Tesla, it is not even offered by the major competitors.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts