Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no way that I'm the only one that is having a real hard time backing my QV up and getting it straight in the parking spot. I always seem to be crooked.

Also... I can't be the only one that takes way too long to get my car INTO reverse after being in manual mode.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I too end up crooked more times than not. I also usually end up hanging my rear out of the space if pulling in due to an extra fear of smashing the front valence.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yeah there are like 6 inches of chopped front that you just can't seem visualize when looking over the hood from the driver's seat. I try to use the mirror strut as a guide. Look for the distance between the mirror support and the upper curb edge. I usually stop with what looks like about 4 inches from the drivers eye point. But even then there is plenty of room when I get out and look. Similar for the back view but I use the camera and try to align side to side with the stripes on the ground. Leaning out the window. I'm thinking of removing the rear headrests.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
One of the problems is that curves on the camera are calculated differently than on some brands and take some getting used to.....they also mark basically the limit of the mirror not the wheel...after some learning I can now park mm precisely and parallely next to curb or in my garage....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think the back-up camera is super conservative with its markings. If you put the car on the green lines you have prob 8-10 inches left while parallel parking. One thing that helps is to program the passenger mirror to give you a view down to the curb using one of the three seat memory buttons so you can hit it age get it just right quickly and then return to normal after. I can lean over toward the passenger side and actually see the back tire. Makes it much less stressful to wonder if I’m going to need to visit my friendly neighborhood wheel repair man...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I think the back-up camera is super conservative with its markings. If you put the car on the green lines you have prob 8-10 inches left while parallel parking. One thing that helps is to program the passenger mirror to give you a view down to the curb using one of the three seat memory buttons so you can hit it age get it just right quickly and then return to normal after. I can lean over toward the passenger side and actually see the back tire. Makes it much less stressful to wonder if I’m going to need to visit my friendly neighborhood wheel repair man...
This was a feature I always loved on my old BMW, put it in reverse and passenger side mirror automatically tilted down. Better than a backup camera in my opinion.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
691 Posts
This was a feature I always loved on my old BMW, put it in reverse and passenger side mirror automatically tilted down. Better than a backup camera in my opinion.
My wife's 2013 Genesis and my old 2003 Chevy Avalanche do this on both passenger and driver side mirrors. I wish Alfa would release a software upgrade to do the same.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I've set the no. 3 seat memory to the same as the no. 1 setting, except that the passenger side mirror is tilted down, pointing towards the rear wheel. Then, when I'm preparing to reverse into a parking space, I hit the memory 3 button, and the mirror tilts down. Bit of a hack, but it works. Stolen from another member of the forum, in another thread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also usually end up hanging my rear out of the space if pulling in due to an extra fear of smashing the front valence.
^^^^^This. I'm terrified of whacking that beautiful piece of carbon fiber on a curb. Especially those weird chamfer-style ones where they put a tree in the middle of 4 parking spots and surround it with curbs. No way your front proximity sensor is going to see those.

Of course, it makes it easy to find your car---look down the row for the a$$hole that can't pull in all the way....Oh wait that's me!

:)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The backup camera's guiding lines work well for me, I can see perfectly how far the sidewalk or parking lines are. If there's one piece of technology that I really appreciate, it's the backup camera.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
The backup camera's guiding lines work well for me, I can see perfectly how far the sidewalk or parking lines are. If there's one piece of technology that I really appreciate, it's the backup camera.
Of course they also used to make cars such that it was possible to see something out the rear window. Not very stylish or fuel efficient though.

Having recently been driving my wife's Subaru (long story) I see that its screen is much smaller than Giulia's and the resolution is no better than Giulia's. However, I get a usable image in the dark with the Subaru and only vague shadows in the dark with Giulia.

I prefer to back my Q4 into my driveway in Silicon Valley and parked pretty crooked the first couple of times. However I can put it where it belongs now. It just takes a little getting used to the reference points and angles.

I avoid parallel parking.

·
Registered
641 Posts
^^^^^This. I'm terrified of whacking that beautiful piece of carbon fiber on a curb. Especially those weird chamfer-style ones where they put a tree in the middle of 4 parking spots and surround it with curbs. No way your front proximity sensor is going to see those.

Of course, it makes it easy to find your car---look down the row for the a$$hole that can't pull in all the way....Oh wait that's me!

:)
Me also....would be a nice feature to have a front camera.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Me also....would be a nice feature to have a front camera.
I think we have it (in the windshield, near the rearview mirror). Now, how to determine its resolution and access its signal...

Reactions: DareBear

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think we have it (in the windshield, near the rearview mirror). Now, how to determine its resolution and access its signal...
I think they may be only B&W and not very high resolution. They are too high mounted to be of much use for parking, you need to be able to see from near bumper level. That said the cameras in the windshield are likely sandboxed with no easy way to output to avoid any legal entanglements for different markets that would just cause headaches for manufacturers ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts