Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove the Giulia compared to most cars in its class and the car blows the competition away in looks and driving dynamics. but I still have that nagging at the back of my head that it's going to be unreliable, why would I buy an italian car, etc.

someone I was talking to said he works transporting cars, and he told me his company has had so many Giulias that were there due to blown motors and other major issues. He then basically said I should avoid at all costs. I don't know him that well but I think and hope he is BSing.

I am going to lease so even if I do get one that has issues I should be covered right? this will be my daily driver and I know it's not a Honda but I don't want to have to go to the dealer every week lol. I thought reliability was improved since the older generation and doesn't this car share an engine and some parts with other FCA products?

Also I know a lot of early 2017 had software issues, are these fixed for 2018?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Software issues are fixed on the 18s, and the 17s should all have been fixed as well, it’s just software, can be flashed. IMO you will save money on a 17 and it’s the same car aside from Apple CarPlay as far as I know.
Now as far as issues, honestly I’ve seen very very few.
-there were a couple cars with hood latches that weren’t adjusted, which causes the hood to be hard to open.
-there have been a bunch with battery issues causing weird electrical problems, new battery fixes these issues every time from my experience, and a lot of cars are still on the original battery with no problems.
-the tow hook cap(s) like to fall off, I put silicone on them when doing pdi.
-anything else I’ve seen has been taken care of by recalls.
-never seen an engine/trans/major issue.
Keep in mind we were the first dealer in our area, so we have seen them from launch, we have seen them smashed, abused, etc.....they’re good cars from what I see. I’ll just add that I don’t own one or work on commission, makes no difference to me if you buy one or not, all I do is fix them.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Huh? We've haven't heard of a single instance of a blown motor yet.
Software issues - yes - but the the mechanical engineering is solid. Most of the updates have addressed the issues.
Lease one if you want the peace of mind and you'll see that at lease end you will either buy it or lease a newer model.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. The only problems I have heard before were the software I hope I didn't seem like I was trashing the car. I don't think I can lease a 2017 anymore. I have the good fortune of having an Alfa/Maserati dealer 5 minutes from my new apartment - too bad they won't match this quote I got 400 miles away lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I drove the Giulia compared to most cars in its class and the car blows the competition away in looks and driving dynamics. but I still have that nagging at the back of my head that it's going to be unreliable, why would I buy an italian car, etc.

someone I was talking to said he works transporting cars, and he told me his company has had so many Giulias that were there due to blown motors and other major issues. He then basically said I should avoid at all costs. I don't know him that well but I think and hope he is BSing.

I am going to lease so even if I do get one that has issues I should be covered right? this will be my daily driver and I know it's not a Honda but I don't want to have to go to the dealer every week lol. I thought reliability was improved since the older generation and doesn't this car share an engine and some parts with other FCA products?

Also I know a lot of early 2017 had software issues, are these fixed for 2018?
KIAS had a 10 year warranty to entice people to buy them, and while still fairly new a service mechanic that I talked to that ran a KIA shop said "you'll need it!"
So while the warranty was good, the experience was baaaaaaaad. BUT, there were enough KIA owners that didn't have issues or they were not bothered by the issues to repurchase and recommend so the brand grew and improved.

While I doubt the Alfa Giulia is akin to the KIA models for reliability issues, I do wonder if Alfa is working on BIG improvements to the 2019 models for all the little 'quirks' people are identifying. If not then I suspect not many will tolerate their cars and the brand will not grow. Also the difference here is, the Alfa is a fun and sexy car...the KIA is NOT...they are direct rip offs of design by every other manufacturer to try and sell their junk er...previously junk now somewhat tolerable but still junk.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Huh? We've haven't heard of a single instance of a blown motor yet.
Software issues - yes - but the the mechanical engineering is solid. Most of the updates have addressed the issues.
Lease one if you want the peace of mind and you'll see that at lease end you will either buy it or lease a newer model.
You aren't blowing these motors unless you really screwed up and ignored sounds ,lights, bells, whistles, smoke, and have an IQ over 50.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I haven't seen a single instance of a blown motor, and if they were rampant, Jalopnik would have written six stories about them by now. And there simply aren't enough Giulias on the road yet for him to say they've had "so many" of them. If every single wild Giulia I've ever seen (besides mine, of course) blew its motor... that would still be zero. I've had mine for 9 months and 9k miles, and the only issue I've had is a warped fuel door. It was sticking out a few millimeters and had to be replaced. Besides that, not a single weird behavior, warning light, limp mode, nothing. And I drive it pretty hard, rarely does a day go by where she doesn't see triple digits on the speedometer. Go for it, especially if you're leasing. Even if you somehow got the worst Giulia ever made, the dealership is only 5 minutes away! And since it's not a Fiat joint, they'll probably give you decent service and a good loaner if necessary.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm a real nit picky old fart! I do return products but quite seldom. Mostly because I do my research before a purchase as hefty for my meager budget as a new car. Before I stepped a foot into the Alfa dealer I had read or watched every car magazine road test review of the QV and Giulia's (ten or more worldwide) I also studied all the optional packages available on the Base Giulia and Ti within my budget. I read over the owner's manual twice plus the Youtube AR tutorials on the Giulia. I was thoroughly knowledgeable about the features and facts that were in my interest. The sales people were nice but very uniformed about many of the Giulia features. Not one of them was aware of the rear fog lights, a great feature IMO. I had an older brother who owned a Giulia in the 70's and loved it. I was aware of the somewhat less than perfect reliability reputation over the years. However, I was also aware that AR had built an all new factory to build the new Giulia, with mostly robotic assembly. I anticipated that there might be some software issues do the extensive software control in the new Giulia's. However a brand new state of the art assembly process was impressive.

In the past I have owned several Honda Accords, reputed to be perhaps the most reliable car brand on the planet. My previous Japanese car was very trouble free. I was happy to buy a new 1990 Accord. Problem was I didn't have enough smarts to realize that it being the first year of the new 4 year model series it might have first years glitches. It sure did! I had about 6 bothersome issues in the first 12 months. Of course they were all fixed under warranty but I learned a good lesson. From then on it was a good car and I had it for about 18 years and 210,000 miles. I sold the 5 speed to a friend at work and he still drives it at over 325,000 miles. The next Accord we bought was the last of the 4 year series. It had a Honda wide transmission recall with about 60k on it and it was slipping. Honda fixed it with a free rental and no expenses to us, zero complaints by us. It now has 150.000 miles with one tiny issue, the passenger door doesn't lock with the key fob, zero other issues. it's our rainy snowy day car so Giulia can stay in the garage and keep very pretty.

Back to the Giulia. In the first 3 or 4 months I had a few very minor issues that were fixed with some RRT's. It then ran like a charm except for some occasional jerking. I recently took it to a Maserati/Ferrari/Alfa dealer in Seattle, different than my purchase dealer. They in less than one day had the infotainment system updated, my first comp service/oil change and the new T57 software update done which eliminated the jerking. Our Giulia drives like a dream, absolutely perfect! I have zero complaints and only needed a few software updates for a first year model.

I know there are a few unfortunate folks who had some more serious type issues. The squeaky wheel here understandably get noticed. I feel for them but think the general experience by most buyers here has been very good to outstanding. I am 100% happy with the very few and minor problems I have experienced in my first year of ownership.

This is one great sports sedan. i wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend to my family or friends, zero reservations.

Chuck

Attachments

Reactions: JayM

·
Registered
316 Posts
My guess about all these so-called reliability rumors (and that is what they are, rumors) is that they are being fed by an automotive press corp that absolutely must put a sentence in every review about reliability even if their test car performed perfectly. Ask yourself - have you ever read a Giulia review that, with no evidence, did not say something negative about reliability?

I am friends with an Maserati/Alfa dealer and I am pretty sure I would have been told about exploding engines and any other major issues before she let me get one. She did advise me to lease since there is no long-term history, but that is wise for any new model car. My car has been perfect since purchase.

I think your car-transporter "expert" guy is full if it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks. The only problems I have heard before were the software I hope I didn't seem like I was trashing the car. I don't think I can lease a 2017 anymore. I have the good fortune of having an Alfa/Maserati dealer 5 minutes from my new apartment - too bad they won't match this quote I got 400 miles away lol
You can still lease the 2017's - I just did - picked up a 2017 Ti Sport w/Performance Pkg - got one **** of a deal - 52k sticker / 350 month lease on a 24 month 10k mile/yr.

It is my daily driver

·
Registered
256 Posts
My Giulia Ti has 11,000 happy miles. I was initially concerned abkut reliability issues lime the op. Turns out it has had fewer issues than my 2017 Jaguar or multiple Audi S4/A4 vehicles. Go with tne Giulia and dont look back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You can still lease the 2017's - I just did - picked up a 2017 Ti Sport w/Performance Pkg - got one **** of a deal - 52k sticker / 350 month lease on a 24 month 10k mile/yr.

It is my daily driver
WOW that is a deal, I have a quote on a 2018 Ti Sport 47k MSRP for 478/month with nothing due at signing. I want to try and get a couple more % off MSRP to push down below 450. Did you put anything down?

mind sharing dealer/location?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Lifetime best car ever. period.

I was an early adopter of the Giulia, getting mine in April of ‘17, when they had been on the lot for a whopping 5 days. I concur with the previous posts on SW updates (had 4 rounds, and car became “stable and reliable” after my 1st actual update in May ‘17 — 2 CEL events, no loss of operation, just stuck in N DNA) and the requirement for a solid technical Service Department.

On the upside, and he11 yes, I’m an admitted fan:

- I still thrill (at 15,600 miles) at each chance to drive my Q4 Ti. Probably have an additional 6,000 miles of just joyriding from the alure of the drive alone.
- By the infotainment update (4 trips total to Service) in September ‘17 the car has been rock solid on the “little things” too. A little trans jerky until T57 a couple of months ago, but Eurocompulsion P1 tuning actually made that go away even before the T57.
- Merc, Audi and Jag friends, all with high-end performance versions, after driving, have expressed “buyers remorse” for not knowing about the Giulia when they made their choices. Merc guy is biding his time to lease expiration to get a QV. Jag and Audi guys have V6 and S4 sedans and spent $7-15K more for less. My S4 friend said just for steering and “magical” chassis (and mind you, I just have a Q4 Ti PP) the Giulia would clobber his more powerful S4 (he drove it pre-tune, intake, exhaust mods) on track or twisties.
- In N mode, it’s quiet and comfortable. A ride like none of the other sedans in class. 75mph sounds and seems like 55.
- A mode mpg on short trips easily north of 31 at 75-80 mph.
- Lifetime mpg north of 24, even with canyon barnstorming at altitude in D mode. Worst mileage is 18.6 in D mode driving like a madman up and down from 5,000-9,000 feet.
- Thought I’d miss “rowing” a manual. Paddles and ZF8 put a smile on my face while I NEVER miss a shift. I could never heel-toe my downshift like the ZF can rev-match
- As an engineer, I have an eye for elegance in design. Looking everywhere, undercar, underhood, this is a poorman’s Ferrari. Carbon, alloy, smart use of steel, wiring harnesses, connectors, accelerometers, MM ECU packaging, Airbox, suspension components, use of forged AL, laser etched cabin details, floating windscreen, brakes that I think rock, although not everybody agrees on that. Brilliant.
- Yes, it is merely adequate in a few areas: (except for seats) materials in cabin are OK, Infotainment/Nav/HK system are poor-mediocre, wheel-wells cramp the trunk usability and a bike barely fits with folded seats. So what. As my DD, I actually prefer to roll-down the windows and hear the Turbo noises and sweet exhaust note, whenever possible, and frequently turn off the Info display. I Nav with Wayz and Maps. I getoverit.
- Sub 5 second 0-60. No doubts the car will do the 149mph, although I haven’t tried. Slot-car like stick in the twisties with D-mode firm suspension set. Rotate, I say-I say, ROTATE around the apex in corners — something you gotta feel to believe; and, something every review couldn’t help but be enchanted by (even the Jalopnerds and CR). The best turn-in steering short of a supercar at any pricepoint. Can’t beat that.

Agreed that the dealership and service department relationship is paramount. Also agree that you probably can get a wicked lease on a 2017 still. Buy nationally, service locally.

Also, if you do join the tribe, don’t overlook what $2,500 can do to take this car from great to terrific with some mods. Ti Perf Package is a “must have” in my book, too. $1,200 for a $900 LSD and $3,500 suspension upgrade is an unbeatable value. That would be a Q2 in rear-wheel-drive or a Ti with the package in AWD. Not available on non-Ti, and don’t confuse with the Sport Package in a base.

Hope the ravings of this Giulunatic havent been boring. Avanti,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Almost 17k miles on mine and still very very happy. The best car i've ever owned and no single issue so far. This is Veloce (Ti) April '17.
Previously owned BMW 330i Xdrive and the car at the beginning was even less reliable than Giulia; of course i do not have to say that Giulia is way better driver, the driving experience is substantially different to any car i have owned (better)

Simply it makes you happy :)

This is one of those cars you will look at after the drive...

·
Registered
26 Posts
WOW that is a deal, I have a quote on a 2018 Ti Sport 47k MSRP for 478/month with nothing due at signing. I want to try and get a couple more % off MSRP to push down below 450. Did you put anything down?

mind sharing dealer/location?
lean on the discounts - they came down near 10k off sticker.
from what I have read, that level of discounting is not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
13,000+ trouble free miles on a Jan ‘17 build since Jul ‘17. Once all the RRT’s got done, I’ve just had the T57 visit and an oil change. The RRT’s took a while because I had the first Giulia to get a map update at the dealer, and they needed hand holding from Tech Support...but I was driving a Giulia or a Stelvio for the whole 5 days over the weekend.

Local Maserati/Alfa dealer Service Manager said the Giulia’s coming in with problems don’t need parts, they need software...the Maserati visitors need parts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm just gonna say this, when you talk to people who actually own and drive the new Alfa Romeo cars, reliability issues are pretty hard to come by. The people complain about crazy reliability issues normally have never even seen a Giulia in person. My guess is the guy you talked to probably had one Giulia with a more major issue and so to him that means all Giulias are trash. Again, if you want the real story about the reliability of these cars, listen to the people who have actually been putting the rubber to the road, and I think you'll find that issues are a million times less common and less serious than the Alfa haters and mainstream car journalists will lead you to believe. I'm 8000 miles into my leased '17 Ti sport with absolutely zero problems, and I guarantee stories like mine are much more common than the blown engines this guy was talking about. FYI that's the first time I've ever even heard of a blown engine in a Giulia

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Here is the good and the bad with the negative reviews. I hate people bashing our AR's that love them that is the bad news. The good news part, no intention of selling mine and in the market for the Stelvio now so bad reviews deeper discounts OH JOY. Some of us know better but please don't tell the negative reviews that although I think the dealers kinda know better. However, if they sit on the lots we have no problem picking up the older versions that sit a while. It is still a new car and new car warranty. The vehicles drop in resale as soon as you are off the lot is the biggest hit regardless what year. YOY changes become far less. In any case we just want the best deal on number 2. Hopefully before my husband gets some wild idea that oh he made a mistake with not getting the 5 hole so he will make up for it by getting the 4C instead of the Stelvio slapping a cap on the back of the F350 and wants to call it the SUV. NOT HAPPENING>

Here is the spell that the AR casts. You take a perfectly reasonable person that sees the advantage of driving a 17 year old car with only 43k miles as a daily driver. Decides we will get a Giulia Ti Sport to make the wife happy. Swaps that out instead and we end up with a QV. Now take that same reasonable person that he is and agrees we add the SUV. Okay. How you get from that to a 4C is beyond comprehension. So that is this silly AR spell that needs to be squashed.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Here is the spell that the AR casts. You take a perfectly reasonable person that sees the advantage of driving a 17 year old car with only 43k miles as a daily driver. Decides we will get a Giulia Ti Sport to make the wife happy. Swaps that out instead and we end up with a QV. Now take that same reasonable person that he is and agrees we add the SUV. Okay. How you get from that to a 4C is beyond comprehension. So that is this silly AR spell that needs to be squashed.
Some say squashed while others say indulged.
Resources willing, who is to say which is correct?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts