Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
Light color paint, infrared windshield and no-sun roof also all reduce inside temperatures when parked in the sun.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
the oem infrared windshield on our cars actually does a very poor job of rejecting heat
Do you have something to back up that statement? Do not bother saying that this or that illegal in most states for good reason tinting film performs better.
My Giulia is my first and only vehicle with an IR windshield, so I have nothing for reference.

From what I read expected performance is rejection of about 50% of solar heat. This will not decrease the interior temperature rise by 50% for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have something to back up that statement? Do not bother saying that this or that illegal in most states for good reason tinting film performs better.
My Giulia is my first and only vehicle with an IR windshield, so I have nothing for reference.

From what I read expected performance is rejection of about 50% of solar heat. This will not decrease the interior temperature rise by 50% for a number of reasons.
I also have a car xpel prime xr plus at 70% on the windshield and also a beater with no tint and the heat rejection is night and day difference on my windshield tinted car. the heat through the windshield on my beater feels the same as on the Giulia.

since you mentioned it i'm not talking about interior temp. Just face your car toward the sun and place your hand in the sunlight through the windshield and you can feel a ton of heat

·
Registered
19 Giulia Ti Q2
101 Posts
No IR here but crystalline is supposedly 60% solar rejection & 99% UV blocking. No tint on the front as it isn’t legal here, we can only do the top 5 inches and I do not like that look.
CR40 all around the rest though. I could definitely tell a difference after getting the shield in front after sitting in the sun all day at work. Prior I wasn’t able to touch the steering wheel for a bit!

·
Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
67 Posts
the oem infrared windshield on our cars actually does a very poor job of rejecting heat
Agree on that front, I had a loaner Giulia for awhile and I could really feel the heat streaming into that car as I drove it during the day. Ceramic Tints are really an MVP. I just had the remaining glass (Windshield+Sunroof) on my vehicle tinted this Wednesday and it feels like a night-day difference. I don't have to blast my AC as high in my vehicle on these summer days compared to when I was driving the loaner too.

It was also the same experience for applying Window Tints from Home Depot to my sun-facing office room windows, blocking a ton of heat. If you touched the surface, you can feel the crazy amount of heat trapped/rejected by the tints. On mornings before tint application, the room itself was already hot, but now it's much much cooler and I save electricity costs! (And the same experience for a friend who had a 15°F delta in temps after they installed tints at their 3rd floor unit just yesterday.)

·
Registered
MY18 Quadrifoglio
252 Posts
No IR here but crystalline is supposedly 60% solar rejection & 99% UV blocking. No tint on the front as it isn’t legal here, we can only do the top 5 inches and I do not like that look.
CR40 all around the rest though. I could definitely tell a difference after getting the shield in front after sitting in the sun all day at work. Prior I wasn’t able to touch the steering wheel for a bit!
You could have a ceramic 80 or even 70 applied to the windshield and it not be noticed. It's not legal, but being able to even tell it is there to issue a ticket is almost impossible at that %.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I also have a car xpel prime xr plus at 70% on the windshield and also a beater with no tint and the heat rejection is night and day difference on my windshield tinted car. the heat through the windshield on my beater feels the same as on the Giulia.

since you mentioned it i'm not talking about interior temp. Just face your car toward the sun and place your hand in the sunlight through the windshield and you can feel a ton of heat
OK, I have little experience with films except to note the folks who advocate 10% on all the windows including the windshield. That includes my grand-nephew. I have film on my backhoe cab and it is a scratched up mess--I have to open the windows to see anything due to the glare unless the sun is directly overhead.

I mostly drive at night and need an unattenuated view with minimal interior reflections.

Anyway, interior temperature is what matters. I also suggest that a proper meter is the right way to measure the effectiveness of whatever is filtering your sunlight. Using your hand is going to introduce a substantial bias based on what you are expecting.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,267 Posts
The one consensus about Giulia’s infrared windshield seems to be that it’s expensive to replace.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Using your hand is going to introduce a substantial bias based on what you are expecting.
It's really not but if you want you don't have to take my word for it you can take it to a tint shop. They'll have the meters that can gauge IR & heat transmission rates.
I'm telling you, the IR windshield on our cars are not that good at rejecting heat. I can test side by side in two of my cars parked side by side.

Bottom line is, the more heat rejected = slower interior heat temp rises. which also equates to less AC needed.

OK, I have little experience with films except to note the folks who advocate 10% on all the windows including the windshield.
Theres no need to get 10% tint. Ceramic tint and nano-ceramic tints (and other higher quality films) have great Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) and Infrared Rejection (IRR). With these types of films you can go the lightest shade available and still have great heat rejection. Obviously darker gets you more rejection but typically after 30% darkness it's diminishing returns in exchange for visibility. When shopping around for tint installers ask what films they offer and you can go on the manufacturer's website for the spec sheets that list out everything but TSER and IRR are the most important for heat rejection.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm a bit late to this conversation. I was considering putting ceramic tint on the windshield but read somewhere that it can cause a haze/less visibility and the Alfas don't need it because of the IR already on the windshields. Thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm a bit late to this conversation. I was considering putting ceramic tint on the windshield but read somewhere that it can cause a haze/less visibility and the Alfas don't need it because of the IR already on the windshields. Thoughts?
I've personally only had experience with 70% Xpel Prime XR Plus on the windshield. I noticed no issues with visibility and zero haze. Just feels a tiny bit dimmer but it really helps on a bright sunny day. No impact at night. I have 15% all around the other sides for reference.

·
Registered
2020 Q4 Ti Sport
67 Posts
OK, I have little experience with films except to note the folks who advocate 10% on all the windows including the windshield. That includes my grand-nephew. I have film on my backhoe cab and it is a scratched up mess--I have to open the windows to see anything due to the glare unless the sun is directly overhead.

I mostly drive at night and need an unattenuated view with minimal interior reflections.

Using your hand is going to introduce a substantial bias based on what you are expecting.
For my vehicle, I have fairly transparent tint percentages all around. My windshield is at 70%, which is the legal limit for the state, and then I have 50% on all the others. My intention was to still be able to signal to people outside without problems viewing me, especially since I'm in a densely populated area with many crosswalks around. For my installation, I have no problems seeing outside at night.

For the use of hand, my intention was as a way to feel the effect. The reason for me getting tints was heavily influenced by savagegeese (and my more frequent driving at varying hours). His video is a thorough analysis over what, why, the process, and options are for tints.

The one consensus about Giulia’s infrared windshield seems to be that it’s expensive to replace.
Based on my experience, it can be. I finally got my vehicle last week from a repair done in-warranty by Safelite (long annoying story) and this is the work order receipt.
Font Rectangle Circle Parallel Number

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
For my vehicle, I have fairly transparent tint percentages all around. My windshield is at 70%, which is the legal limit for the state, and then I have 50% on all the others. My intention was to still be able to signal to people outside without problems viewing me, especially since I'm in a densely populated area with many crosswalks around. For my installation, I have no problems seeing outside at night.

For the use of hand, my intention was as a way to feel the effect. The reason for me getting tints was heavily influenced by savagegeese (and my more frequent driving at varying hours). His video is a thorough analysis over what, why, the process, and options are for tints.

Based on my experience, it can be. I finally got my vehicle last week from a repair done in-warranty by Safelite (long annoying story) and this is the work order receipt.
View attachment 129821
I did the hand test today, while driving around the high Sierras in 100F heat (the death ride was today, I guess it lived up to its reputation...). Very uncomfortable heat from sunlight through the driver's side window, barely detectable heat from sunlight through the windshield.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,409 Posts
I wonder how much because for reference, my non IR windshield cost about 3k to replace

• Wow
Reactions: lightra

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I wonder how much because for reference, my non IR windshield cost about 3k to replace
It's a QV so triple the price?
It seems that folks are paying ~$1100 US for non-IR and ~$2500 for IR windshield replacement, including labor, calibration, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,409 Posts
It's a QV so triple the price?
It seems that folks are paying ~$1100 US for non-IR and ~$2500 for IR windshield replacement, including labor, calibration, etc.
Unless I was given an IR windshield but my vin should have shown I didn't have one; and my radar still seems to work without issue, but this was 3 years ago that I had it replaced and I don't have too many chances to test out long range capability of my radar

• Wow
Reactions: lightra

·
Registered
16 Posts
As of MY 2022 (or perhaps prior), it seems the vast majority of Giulia's have a sunroof (I was unable to find one without).

One thing I've noticed is that the front mesh (power) sun-shade does a sub-par job of reducing heat load compared to a solid cover (not a big surprise, really). You can put your hand next to the mesh shade and feel a significant amount of heat coming in. I would think this might be the primary factor in hotter than average interior temps.

I would have preferred no rear headliner port and a traditional solid cover in front (or no sunroof), but that's not the trend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts