Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The system in this Giulia is going to be very different from the one I did in my 2018 so l placed the wideband midranges jn a few different places at different angles. The picture below is what I liked the best for my seating position. I temporarily mounted them to cardboard and attached them with masking tape. Also but not pictured I placed a small rag around open parts of the cardboard .
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a short list of what I am starting with.
Helix DSP Ultra with USB Audio input
Blam Signature MS3
Stereo Integrity TM65 mk2
Tru Technology B41-A
The pictures below are not by any means an install but a temporary setup for listening to determine speaker locations. I will try the midbass in the oem door locations but I might do something better if I decide to purchase instead of continuing my lease. Most people might think this is crazy but 3 years of bad sounding music is crazy to me 😆
Wood Gas Composite material Plastic wrap Engineering
Shipping box Package delivery Wood Audio equipment Packaging and labeling
Digital camera Camera Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera
Computer Netbook Peripheral Finger Audio equipment
Automotive lighting Electricity Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Electrical supply

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Rim Audio equipment
Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Audio equipment Camera lens
Automotive tire Cuisine Ingredient Gas Circle
Today while I waited for materials to show up to make the pods for the midranges I started on the midbass speakers in the doors. The factory location is very solid for being in the doors. Decent thickness on the plastic and good seal. I will still use some different sound deadening materials to make them sound even better. I sacrificed one of the speakers to copy onto a template to make a final baffle plate for the midbass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up making a pair of temporary 1/2" MDF spacers and an extra template. I am going remake them out of acrylic but I couldn't do it this round due to a backorder on the router bit I ordered to make them. Way better sound with these so far. Big bass that plays low enough to not need a subwoofer for some. Also it doesn't sound like singers are drowning in water when I turn it up anymore. Now to install the original speakers in the trash can where they belong 🙃
Wood Road surface Gas Circle Number
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Wood Rim
Wood House numbering Road surface Font Asphalt
Camera accessory Carbon Audio equipment Automotive design Car subwoofer
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera accessory Automotive design
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to take a break on the Giulia audio system for about a week but I am back at it tonight. I remade my speaker adapters out of 1/2" acrylic so the won't fall apart the first time it rains. The Stereo Integrity midbass drivers have a built in shield to block some of the moisture that might damage the speakers but the bottom half is open. I cut the bottom half on the back side of the acrylic adapters with a 1/2" round over router bit. It will not only keep moisture from getting trapped on the bottom of the spacer but also allows the back wave of the speaker to be clear of obstruction.
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Gas Electrical wiring
Helmet Eye Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now for the fun part. I got one side where I want it but it always seems harder to repeat. Once I get both sides temporarly mounted with shims and hot glue I can stretch material over them and fiberglass them to look factoryish
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Car
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Steering part
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Wheel
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
I really like this, I may follow suit... eventually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like this, I may follow suit... eventually.
Thank you 👍 I will keep updating as progress continues. I have been thinking about making doubles of these panels to see there is enough interest in this sort of thing with other Alfa owners.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It’s interesting and awesome any time anyone documents a build. What was your previous build and do you have photos of that one too? You clearly know what you’re doing and have high quality equipment. I cant wait to see the results of this one and wish I could hear it.

I’m curious why you chose a 2 way with widebands and not a 3 way? It looks like you’re starting from a base system without the mid and are aiming them on axis, so maybe that is why. I’m interested to see how you wire the MS3s through the door and sail panel. Maybe you’ll document getting the interior panel all the way off. I didn’t have the experience, time or bravery to try getting the door handle off so the whole panel could be removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s interesting and awesome any time anyone documents a build. What was your previous build and do you have photos of that one too? You clearly know what you’re doing and have high quality equipment. I cant wait to see the results of this one and wish I could hear it.

I’m curious why you chose a 2 way with widebands and not a 3 way? It looks like you’re starting from a base system without the mid and are aiming them on axis, so maybe that is why. I’m interested to see how you wire the MS3s through the door and sail panel. Maybe you’ll document getting the interior panel all the way off. I didn’t have the experience, time or bravery to try getting the door handle off so the whole panel could be removed.
I wish I would of had time to document and take pictures of the first one. I leased a 2018 Giulia shortly after opening a stereo shop to use as a demo car. I was so busy trying to keep the shop functional time was always the enemy. The thing that pushed me to finally get something together on that one was that there was a sound quality competition coming up and I wanted to see how well I could do with equipment I sold at the shop. I waited till there was 2 days left till the event and got it done with little sleep the night before spent tuning. I placed 2nd in my class (stock class) the funny part of it was there was only 2 cars in that class lol 😆 my scores looked decent at least for only 2 long days and nights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually chose to do a 2 way with widebands because of a car I got to fix that was done by someone else. He had Hybrid audio widebands and 8" Hybrid Lagatia that someone had very good intentions but didn't sound it's potential. After I made some improvements I was surprised how well it staged and how natural the high frequencies sounded. I listened to a few different options and these Blam Multi X sounded better to me than most 3 way sets with 3" mids. If I had more room though I probably would have went with a Dynaudio Esotar setup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts