Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Automotive News:

Sang Yup Lee, Hyundai Motor's vice president of design since 2016, wants to add an emotional touch to Hyundai products through designs that are just as "sexy" as Alfa Romeo. The car is an emotional product. We want to maximize emotional value to it. The Alfa Romeo and Maserati, those are really sexy cars, even the Germans got a lot of influence from the [Italian] cars. That emotional, sensuous beauty, you don't find that in the volume brands. For Hyundai to be sexier than Alfa Romeo, this is the mission we want to achieve.

Good luck with that!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hyundai have always set impossible-seeming goals, and busted their tails to meet them. Great to know this designer picked Alfa Romeo as the benchmark, and yeah, like Sensei said, good luck.
Ever hear how they got their ten-year warranty? Mr. Hyundai himself supposedly didn't like the rep of building cars that were chintzy unreliable rattle-traps, and told the director of engineering that they will now offer the warranty, so he better sharpen his pencil. Not quite Cortez burning the ships, but close.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Sure..... just like the Stinger. Japanese car lines mostly don’t seem to do sexy well. Always over done.
Hyundai and Kia are Korean, not Japanese. Mazda is Japanese and they make some good looking cars, including the new Fiat 124.

Japanese culture is at least as different from Korean culture as German culture is different from Italian.

·
Registered
460 Posts
^ Apart from Mazda, I'll take the Korean makes over the Japanese. But (again, apart from Mazda) it seems that all Asian makes can't say no to a crease or a vent wherever they can fit them.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Sure..... just like the Stinger. Japanese car lines mostly don’t seem to do sexy well. Always over done.
But when they do do sexy well, wow.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Okay. That is cool. Another trivia question I can answer. What are the holes on the side of the old Buicks called? Ventiports. So are the Maserati's used or are they fake?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Okay. That is cool. Another trivia question I can answer. What are the holes on the side of the old Buicks called? Ventiports. So are the Maserati's used or are they fake?
In the case of the Buick, I suspect that they were taking a styling queue from a 1928 Duesenberg: the engine was too big to fit in the narrow engine bays of the time so the exhaust pipes went through the side of the engine compartment to the "outside" then down through the fender (4 pipes on the left for the straight 8 cylinder car). In the late 1930s Cord (which then owned the remnants of Duesenberg company) also used this styling, which was a sign of a very pricey car back in the day; kind of like scissor doors are today courtesy of Lamborghini Countach.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1930-duesenberg-model-j/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_810/812

Once the all metal "aero" design cars (starting with 1936 DeSoto?) merged the fenders and engine compartment together this exposed exhaust pipe status symbol had no place to be exposed, but the perforations for the pipe penetration could still be present.

I have no idea if Ghibli actually vents anything out those holes.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Why not go all the way back to Fiat's "Beast of Turin"?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts