Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little help for a track noob here please. Just signed up for a 1-day performance driving course at Sonoma Raceway next week with my QV. It's only Level 1 -- my first time on the track (not including a Skip Barber event at Road Atlanta in some 911s a few years ago). Checked my insurance and its not covered for the event, so started looking at some HPDE policies on line.

Sonoma recommends Lockton, which wants about $450 to cover it for the day. RLI gave me a quote for $325. There appear to be a few others like Hegarty out there as well. Other than "cheaper is better unless you actually need it," I have no idea whether any of these companies is reliable if you actually need to make a claim, much less how much the 1-day policy should cost.

Also not sure whether I really need insurance -- i.e., how likely in a Level 1 course I, or someone else, will do something that causes major damage to the car -- but will probably end up getting it regardless.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you’re not comfortably prepared to write a check for the full value of your car, then insurance is a good bet. I’ve used Hagerty with good experience and have read about good experiences with the other companies too, including Lockton and OnTrack. It’s not always yourself you have to worry about or which group you’re in. It’s other drivers f’ng up or having a mechanical failure or leak.

For example, during one of my track days when it was raining, the first group to go out was the instructor group. Someone with an STi blew coolant and oil all over the track and you couldn’t see it due to the rain. We were the next group to go out and many of us had some scares when driving through it mid turn. Luckily, they tried to mark it so we knew the general area but they hadn’t marked all the known spots yet. So in that case, it wasn’t about which group I was in or my own mistakes but some other driver almost ruining the day for everyone.

Insurance will give you more piece of mind, allowing you to enjoy the experience more, despite the added cost.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
this ^^

do it for peace of mind, you won't be covered at all by your current policy if the unlikely happens... nor towing, track clean up etc. If price is your concern then you can play with the full value you want covered and / or deductible to get it down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Yep I will go ahead and get it ... cuz by the time you know you need it its too late. :) Not sure which company I will go with yet ... any experiences good or bad with any of them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.