Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member from North Texas. Picked up my 2.0 Ti last night. Had to say good bye to my BMW 128i, one of my all time favorite cars, but the Giulia is quickly making that list.

Love this car! Just a couple of things I need to get used to:
1. The speed of the car is masked way too much. Looked down and I was doing 95 but it felt much more like 65. I am really going to have to watch my speed.

2. The brakes! I cannot find a way to a smooth stop. I am sure it will come in time but the pedal just has a much different feel than anything I have driven before.

I lurked these forums before buying just to get an idea of what I was getting into and I am glad I did. There was some really helpful information.

I had read that Carplay will not becoming as an upgrade to the 2017 but asked the sales rep anyway but didn't tell him I knew the answer. He guaranteed me that it was coming and we should have it in about 6 months. I had a laugh.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome! glad you joined and are enjoying your new car. I will say as I do with most (and when you get a chance) PICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCS ;)

Brake wise they are snappy but they're new and when you look down and are doing 95 then look back up and see a cop it'll come in useful lol. Break them in a bit first and if you still find them too snappy maybe change the pads to another brand. I find they are most snappy when it auto-downshifts when using the paddles.

There's new exhausts in development which might scream a little more if you want to be more aware of you're speed though we've all done it (on a track obviously Mr Officer) ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congratulations on the Ti and welcome to the forum. Agree with your observations, I have got a little more used to the brakes over time. But I would still like swap at least the front pads for ones that are less 'grabby' and ideally increases the required brake pedal force for all levels of braking. I think it would make the brakes easier to modulate. If you find pads like that let the forum know.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Judging speed is definitely a challenge, I guess that's why they have the large digital readout.

As far as the bakes go, I think you'll get used to them, at least I have.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)
Congrats :grin2:

They brakes will feel better after the pads bed-in. There isn't much 'feel' and it takes time to get used to them. I have to pay more attention to how the car feels while it's slowing and not rely on how my foot feels.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Have not had time to take pics yet but here is one from the dealer. A thing of beauty.
Silverstone Gray with 19" sport package? Q2 or Q4? I know its "always" hot in Texas, but it snowed the first time I visited Dallas.

One of the driver assistance packages comes with a user configurable alarm if you exceed the speed that you set. I don't know about Texas, but if you get pulled over for 95MPH in California you just drew the "go directly to jail, do not pass go" card, so some kind of warning is a good thing. The highest speed limit in California is 70MPH and if you are more than 15 MPH over that things start to get ugly. OTOH, if you can look confused and respond in Italian you might get away with it; some German tourists did (responding in German though...).

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Silverstone Gray with 19" sport package? Q2 or Q4? I know its "always" hot in Texas, but it snowed the first time I visited Dallas.

One of the driver assistance packages comes with a user configurable alarm if you exceed the speed that you set. I don't know about Texas, but if you get pulled over for 95MPH in California you just drew the "go directly to jail, do not pass go" card, so some kind of warning is a good thing. The highest speed limit in California is 70MPH and if you are more than 15 MPH over that things start to get ugly. OTOH, if you can look confused and respond in Italian you might get away with it; some German tourists did (responding in German though...).
Let me add to that card, "go directly to jail, do not pass go" "and loose your play token for three turns". Meaning, they can impound your car on the spot.

I've got my speed alarm set to 75 mph. The 70 mph road is nowhere near me, 65 is the max here. Anything over 75 is just asking for trouble. There's enough cars passing me doing 80 and I usually pass them and their new 'friend' later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It is Silverstone Gray with the sport package - Q2. No need for AWD as we already have a GLC300 with 4matic.

Now that I am starting to get used to the car I can better judge speed, though I still can't get used to the brakes. Hoping that changes. I am pretty sure we have the same kind of "to far over the limit go to jail" law in Texas but honestly have no idea what it is.

I have not been pulled over in a couple of years and the last time I was doing 105 in a Boxster S. Off duty officer let me go with a "slow it down" warning.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you like the adjustable suspension?
Is N too soft/bouncy?
Is D too harsh?

Do you have the staggered summer tires?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you like the adjustable suspension?
Is N too soft/bouncy?
Is D too harsh?

Do you have the staggered summer tires?
I have the Ti 19-inch Sport Package which is mostly cosmetic changes. I think you have to have the Performance Package for the adjustable suspension, which I do not have. Mine also has 225's all around so no staggered tires.

I will say the best part of this car is its magical base suspension. Don't know how they do it. Even with run-flats the ride is so complaint during daily driving on our terrible roads but when I start to toss it around a bit the thing tightens up and holds flat and stiff through the corners. Every other car I have owned is a compromise. Good cornering=stiff ride or soft ride=bad cornering. The Giulia is truly the first car I have driven that can do both really well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Alfa-Link my friends. And maybe progressive springs. Haven't seen them so I'm not sure. Brand spanking new, great spanking performance ;)

Reactions: Macfactor66

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, I thought you said you had Q2, which indicates Performance Pkg.

Trying to decide between a Q4 with driver assis static and a Q2 Perf. Pkg with 35W Xenons and sunroof (and staggered summer tires).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome fellow Texan from down here in San Anton. I agree with you about not being able to judge your speed. I guess that's a testament to the engineering of these things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts