Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to unlock the trunk when the battery is dead?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Fold down rear seat, reach/crawl back, and pull the emergency escape lever?

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
rear seat release is in the boot
Shows how often I've used them. Long reach through ski pass-through? Don't tell me that opens from trunk, too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had to do this, the centre portion of the rear seat folds down. Then you need someone really small to crawl through to pull the emergency release from inside the trunk. There isn't a manual lever release outside of the car.

If possible, pop the hood and use the factory recommended boost method so that you can pop it electronically.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Is there a "charging terminal" in the engine bay ? My 164 S has the battery in the trunk, but the "Jumping
Terminal" is in the engine compartment on the driver's side of the firewall.....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
While the side portions of the rear seat can only be unlocked from the trunk, the center portion can be folded down from the cabin.

There are charging posts under the hood, yes.

And if the power interruption is planned because you need to disconnect or replace the battery, there's an emergency cable release hidden in the trunk lid itself, which you can retrieve under a round plastic cap close to the latch and dangle out of the trunk, so it can be reopened manually.

·
Registered
641 Posts
While the side portions of the rear seat can only be unlocked from the trunk, the center portion can be folded down from the cabin.

And if the power interruption is planned because you need to disconnect or replace the battery, there's an emergency cable release hidden in the trunk lid itself, which you can retrieve under a round plastic cap close to the latch and dangle out of the trunk, so it can be reopened manually.
I guess if you have a Quad, you are going to have to use the boost method as there's no folding of any rear seat possible.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts

Is that emergency cable accessible from the outside of the vehicle normally? If so, that seems to pose a serious security issue; if not this doesn't seem to help with a dead battery problem.

In another thread the combination of dead battery and broken hood release seems to be a real problem:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...21954-broken-handle-cable-hood-release-2.html

Lastly the owner's manual mentions a mechanism to disengage park-lock in the transmission so that the car can be moved if it won't start. Although it is mentioned it is not described. Do you know anything about this and how to activate it?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No, the cable is not accessible from the outside of the vehicle. It's meant for when you disconnect the battery for storage, or maintenance, or other reasons. You retrieve said cable from under the inner trunklid liner, through an access next to the latch, and hang it outside, so you can then close the trunk and still be able to reopen it by pulling the cord.

As for park lock, you need to crawl under the car and thread a screw through a hole on the transmission.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Lastly the owner's manual mentions a mechanism to disengage park-lock in the transmission so that the car can be moved if it won't start. Although it is mentioned it is not described. Do you know anything about this and how to activate it?
there is a way to disengage the "park" on the automatic gearbox, see
http://aftersales.fiat.com/eLumData/EN/83/620_GIULIA/83_620_GIULIA_603.93.144_EN_01_10.17_L_LG%23AP_603.93.144_01_10.17/83_620_GIULIA_603.93.144_EN_01_10.17_L_LG%23AP_603.93.144_01_10.17.pdf
page 205, 206

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
When my battery died, suddenly and unexpectedly, I tried opening the center seat section and reaching in for the 'emergency' release. Maybe I'm to old or to fat or my arms are to short, or all of the above. It took me a while, but finally found the jumping terminals in the engine compartment. After attaching jumper cables I was able to open the trunk. Seems like the long way around the block.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
When my battery died, suddenly and unexpectedly, I tried opening the center seat section and reaching in for the 'emergency' release. Maybe I'm to old or to fat or my arms are to short, or all of the above. It took me a while, but finally found the jumping terminals in the engine compartment. After attaching jumper cables I was able to open the trunk. Seems like the long way around the block.
On my car the emergency interior trunk release is a button that needs to be pushed. It is a 4' reach from the rear seat so unless you have basketball player length arms you will need a stick to push it. If you have a lot of junk in your trunk (literally) you may have trouble with the stick method.

I can reach the rear seat release levers by reaching through the pass through, but they cannot be operated while the trunk lid is closed. Perhaps intended to be a security feature it mostly seems to be a nuisance.

On the QV it seems likely that you can remove the rear seat to get at the mechanical release. Perhaps a little time consuming but at least the trunk can be opened without breaking anything if the electrics are completely dead.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Anyone else missing this emergency cable release? When I disconnected my battery to add paddle shifters I realized the hole next to the latch inside my trunk is empty, no plug or cord...I put some crap over the latch and told my wife not to close the trunk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine rear doesn't fold down in the centre, the entire seat is one long seat. So I am stuck and not sure what to do
I've had to do this, the centre portion of the rear seat folds down. Then you need someone really small to crawl through to pull the emergency release from inside the trunk. There isn't a manual lever release outside of the car.

If possible, pop the hood and use the factory recommended boost method so that you can pop it electronically.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mine rear doesn't fold down in the centre, the entire seat is one long seat. So I am stuck and not sure what to do
In that case you do not have the folding seat so cannot open the trunk/boot if your battery is flat. You can jump start the car from the terminals in the engine bay as per this picture. If you disconnected the battery then you are stuffed and have to call recovery perhaps?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts